Guest marylander1940

I'll be moving to Montevideo in 2020

Guest marylander1940

That's the city depicted on my profile picture.

I know Buenos Aires is just a 3 hour ferry away (Buquebus). I also know it's a city that parties mostly in the summer and every other weekend and that's more than enough for me.

I wonder if I could get any tips.

• Members

Why are you moving to Montevideo?  And why in 2020?

I visited there this year and wasn’t impressed.  Everything costs much more than in Brazil, and there didn’t seem to be much of a gay scene or any good saunas.  

The beaches are unimpressive and the water is muddy looking (it technically is a river and not the ocean)

Guest marylander1940
1 hour ago, sanddunes said:

Why are you moving to Montevideo?  And why in 2020?

I visited there this year and wasn’t impressed.  Everything costs much more than in Brazil, and there didn’t seem to be much of a gay scene or any good saunas.  

The beaches are unimpressive and the water is muddy looking (it technically is a river and not the ocean)

Nothing compares to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc. Brazil's proximity is huge deal for me yet I'd rather improving my Spanish and not adding Portuguenol to it.

Uruguay has always been more expensive than Brazil, but coming from the U.S.A. with dollars and a good retirement I can have a good life and great medical services. I'm going to be there for a couple of years once all my business here are done.

• Members

A close childhood friend and his wife and daughter lived there for two years but found it too far from family. They really enjoyed it. They lived in a big apartment near the center. The healthcare is first-world and you can live well as on a middle-class US income. Food is decent. Wines are getting better. Government isn’t corrupt and crime is virtually non-existent. He said it was mostly populated by people with roots in Northern Italy and Spain. He did say it was rather boring, but it was perfect for their circumstances. They, and others, are now considering Portugal. I’m been exploring the Istrian areas of Croatia and Slovenia. I love the people. It’s a lot like Tuscany. I also like parts of Bulgaria and Transylvania.

• Members
1 hour ago, marylander1940 said:

Nothing compares to the Caribbean, Hawaii, etc. Brazil's proximity is huge deal for me yet I'd rather improving my Spanish and not adding Portuguenol to it.

Uruguay has always been more expensive than Brazil, but coming from the U.S.A. with dollars and a good retirement I can have a good life and great medical services. I'm going to be there for a couple of years once all my business here are done.

Have you already spent some time in Uruguay?   I prefer Punta del Este to Montevideo.  

I guess I’m just not understanding, if you are able to retire anywhere, why you would choose Montevideo..

i just said goodbye to a guy who spent the night last night with me who is from and lives in Montevideo! I met him originally in SP in 2015. He loves it there but loves the scene in Rio and Europe where he has been several times for 3 months each time.. But he is 24, his view may change dramatically when he gets into his 30’s +

7 hours ago, sanddunes said:

I guess I’m just not understanding, if you are able to retire anywhere, why you would choose Montevideo..

i think it is not a black or white issue, when someone retires to a geographical location it is not just about the cost of living or the availability of rent boys, especially if you have a income that doesn’t require you to live cheaply! For example if i was to retire to Brazil(i am not), i would live in Porto Alegre! My friends go “Why”? there is no beach, the sauna is only good 2 days a week, etc.  It’s because i like it there!  for some logical and some not so logical reasons!  All of us are different in how we view a place or people  :-)

Guest marylander1940
11 hours ago, sanddunes said:

Have you already spent some time in Uruguay?   I prefer Punta del Este to Montevideo.  

Yes, I've been in Montevideo, Buenos Aires, etc.

I have a couple of friends who live there, I just feel my family is taking too much time from me here. I can always go back home or go somewhere else.

"Punta" (del este) is nice but not in the summer, but I prefer Punta del diablo it reminds me of the Delmarva peninsula (MD, DE and a 2 counties of VA) before mass tourism and pollution. It's also very cheap because Brazil is only 40km (25 miles) away.

Guest marylander1940
4 hours ago, Tomcal said:

i just said goodbye to a guy who spent the night last night with me who is from and lives in Montevideo! I met him originally in SP in 2015. He loves it there but loves the scene in Rio and Europe where he has been several times for 3 months each time.. But he is 24, his view may change dramatically when he gets into his 30’s +

i think it is not a black or white issue, when someone retires to a geographical location it is not just about the cost of living or the availability of rent boys, especially if you have a income that doesn’t require you to live cheaply! For example if i was to retire to Brazil(i am not), i would live in Porto Alegre! My friends go “Why”? there is no beach, the sauna is only good 2 days a week, etc.  It’s because i like it there!  for some logical and some not so logical reasons!  All of us are different in how we view a place or people  :-)

Good point! Btw I retired at 72 but I still partially work.

No place has everything but we can always try living here or there and if we changed our minds go somewhere else.

Porto Alegre is a beautiful city, have you been in Floripa (Florianopolis)?

6 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

Good point! Btw I retired at 72 but I still partially work.

No place has everything but we can always try living here or there and if we changed our minds go somewhere else.

Porto Alegre is a beautiful city, have you been in Floripa (Florianopolis)?

yes it is very nice in the summer!

• Members
20 hours ago, Lucky said:

It was suggested elsewhere that Marylander is a federal agent, and that he reports on activities he finds here. I have no idea whether that is true. But now that he is here acting like a local Joe, then perhaps he might want to tell us more. Are you, or have you ever been...?

Would not be a surprise to me at all...he loves to “rat” and report

Guest marylander1940
23 hours ago, Lucky said:

It was suggested elsewhere that Marylander is a federal agent, and that he reports on activities he finds here. I have no idea whether that is true. But now that he is here acting like a local Joe, then perhaps he might want to tell us more. Are you, or have you ever been...?

No, I have never worked for any law enforcement agency.

3 hours ago, SoCal said:

Would not be a surprise to me at all...he loves to “rat” and report

and you love to offer guys on grindr 50 bucks for an alley b/j, right?

That's rat like behavior.

Guest marylander1940
On 8/21/2018 at 12:53 PM, Tomcal said:

yes it is very nice in the summer!

Airbnb and low cost airlines have made it an easy escape from Montevideo's grey winters.

• Members

@marylander1940 Where do you plan to spend the Southern Hemisphere winters?

I enjoy Jose Ignacio very much in the Summer as it is both very relaxed and highly social...depending on what you want. I don't care for Punta del Este otherwise very much, although there is good shopping.

FWIW I found Montevideo dull on a brief visit a few years ago. I was told good and bad reports. Local gay friends have told me it's easy to meet young men if you are generous and sociable. The bad news came from the BBC correspondent in Uruguay whose parents live in Montevideo; she informed me that there was an increasing level of street crime and domestic burglaries.