endlessdream

Refused at checkin from Brazil to Cuba

• Members

A Taiwanese friend of mine was refused at checkin at Rio airport for his Rio - Panama - Havana flight, on the ground that he was not vaccinated against yellow fever and malaria. I was very concerned because I will be flying from Barranquilla to Havana via Bogota in two weeks. I actually called Avianca. After speaking to three different agents and a lot of holding time, I was told that it was specific to passengers on flights originating from Brazil. Anyone heard anything like that? Thx! 

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/destination-advice/cuba/

Colombia would fall under one of the countries, as far as I know.

In my MANY years traveling to Cuba and dealing with Latin American/ South American airlines.....better to be safe than sorry. You NEVER can predict what rule they'll be enforcing at the moment.

• Members

until now, i have heard or used pills for malaria, not vaccine. vaccine actually exists since 2015/16, but it is protecting small number of people. (according to internet)

can someone comment on malaria vaccine?  and travel to colombia or any other country from brazil?

• Members

The Yellow-Fever-specific inoculation requirement is a more recent one, having shifted from the lower 'recommended' tier in Feb 2017, for arrivals from Brasil to Panama (even just flight transit at Tocumen!), so I will be bringing my certificate with me because I have returned to using Copa Airlines from South America to the north. 

I have no need to currently investigate malaria or Cuba aspects. I do not think that malaria is an issue landing in Panama as it is likely the Yellow Fever spike in Brasil that precipitated the change. 

The traveller mentioned above may be unique in landing in two countries following departure from Brasil. More complicated to tease out. 

The rules for Panama are variable, depending on length of time at Tocumen and final destination. Best to call the airline. My previous connections in Panama past 21 months were (and always are) extremely short and involved jogging, so perhaps I was lucky to board in Brasil.

• Members
6 hours ago, numazu1 said:

That wasn’t me @floridarob that was your other gringo-Asian friend

Oh, thank god! We might have missed a story about how Numazu did a programa with the agent, who then let him in, as long as he also fucked his boss! Or something like that, and YES, I am just kidding!;)

• Members

There is currently an epidemy of yellow fever around Amazonia. It is serious since a few people already died. I was recently on an Air France flight going to French Guyana which is just north of Brasil. It was compulsoru to show proof of vaccination at check in or boarding. If you plan to visit other parts of Brasil than Rio or Sao Paulo, it is currently highly advised to be vaccinated against yellow fever. Re-vaccination used to be compulsory every 10 years. Now one vaccination in a lifetime is sufficient.

• Members

Likely most public health clinics "posto de saúde" for a fractionated (eg, 1/5) dose, good for 12 months ... supply limitations account for lack of full lifetime doses. Bring your translate app. 

For bigger guns: Albert Einstein Hospital or private clinics, cost more. You can contact your consulate (USA?) there for recommendations. 

If new travel requirements are driving your interest, note that you may need to be 7-10 days post-vaccination in order to enter, for example Panama, for a period of time exceeding the airport connection threshold (6 hours, I believe).

• Members
22 hours ago, Lucky said:

Oh, thank god! We might have missed a story about how Numazu did a programa with the agent, who then let him in, as long as he also fucked his boss! Or something like that, and YES, I am just kidding!;)

That story would not be stretched as wide horizontally as the mile-high club is vertically. 

• Members
On 11/16/2018 at 3:05 PM, pauleiro said:

There is currently an epidemy of yellow fever around Amazonia. It is serious since a few people already died. I was recently on an Air France flight going to French Guyana which is just north of Brasil. It was compulsoru to show proof of vaccination at check in or boarding. If you plan to visit other parts of Brasil than Rio or Sao Paulo, it is currently highly advised to be vaccinated against yellow fever. Re-vaccination used to be compulsory every 10 years. Now one vaccination in a lifetime is sufficient.

Guyana, French guyana and Suriname are such a mystery.  I want to go.  What is Fay life there?   It feels untethered to Latin America.  Almost like it doesn’t exist 

• Members

Swipe left to right for increasing freedom and safety ...

Guyana is more Caribbean in values. Sodomy law technically remains on the books. 

Suriname more relaxed but do not expect Netherlands-level openness. No mixing of same-sex surnames. 

French Guiana law follows that of France. Gay marriage is legal. And imported champagne likely cheaper. 

• Members
5 hours ago, endlessdream said:

All very interesting. But I still haven’t made my mind if I should get vaccinated before going to Colombia. Deepens how complicated it is in Puerto Vallarta I guess. 

https://www.wfscorp.com/en/resources/alerts/general/yellow-fever-vaccination-requirement-colombia

Yellow Fever Vaccination Requirement for Colombia

This post will cover yellow fever vaccination requirements and the effects of the virus.

Vaccination against yellow fever is now required at least 10 days prior to travelling into Colombia.

Five countries in South America have reported yellow fever virus activity. Those countries include Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Colombia and Ecuador. This multi-country yellow fever virus activity may reflect current, wide-spread ecological conditions that favor elevated yellow fever virus transmission among wildlife and possibly to humans. The analysis of current circulating strains in these countries should provide insight as to whether the human cases in these countries are epidemiologically linked or represent multiple, independent spill-over events without extensive ongoing community transmission.

High Risk Areas of Transmission in Colombia

The yellow fever vaccination certificate is required by travelers planning to visit the following areas at risk for transmission in Colombia:
Amazonas, Caquetá, Casanare, Chocó, Guainía, Guaviare, Meta, Putumayo, Vaupés, Vichada, Santa Marta, Ciénaga y Aracataca Magdalena, Convención, El Carmen, El Tarra, Teorema, Sardinata, Tibú, El Zulia, Hacarí y San Calixto, Norte de Santander, Riosucio, Carmen del Darién, Juradó, Nuquí y Ungía, Chocó y Dabeiba, Mutatá, Turbo y Yondó y Antioquia. 

Once issued, the Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis is valid for the lifetime of the vaccine.

Contraindications
A single dose of the yellow fever vaccine is sufficient to provide sustained immunity and life-long protection against yellow fever, and a booster dose of the vaccine is not necessary. 

Travelers with contraindications for the yellow fever vaccine, or over 60 years of age, should consult with a health professional prior to getting vaccinated. A contraindication is a situation in which the vaccine should not be used in cases where it may be harmful to the patient. 

Travelers with contraindications can minimize their risk of yellow fever by avoiding mosquito bites. If a contraindication is noted by a health professional, a waiver will be issued. However, issuance of a waiver does not guarantee its acceptance by the destination country. Health professionals must discuss factors for risk benefit analysis, offer measures to avoid mosquito bites, and awareness of the symptoms and signs of yellow fever to patients with contraindications. Below is a list that covers some possible contraindications:
  • Allergy to a vaccine component
  • Age <9 months 
  • Pregnant/Breastfeeding Women
  • People with hypersensitivity to egg antigens
  • Symptomatic HIV infection or CD4+ T-lymphocytes <200/mm3 (<15% of total in children aged <6 years)
  • Thymus disorder associated with abnormal immune function
  • Severe immunodeficiency 
  • Malignant neoplasms
  • Transplantation
  • Immunosuppressive and immunomodulatory therapies

Reactions to Yellow Fever Vaccine

Possible reactions to the yellow fever vaccine are mild and may include headaches, muscle aches and a low-grade fever. Severe or life threatening reactions are rare but have been reported. Consult with your health care professional if you experience symptoms that are concerning after being vaccinated.

Symptoms and Progression of Yellow Fever

• The onset of the illness presents itself with flu like symptoms and fever
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea 
  • Chills
  • Headache
  • Backache
  • Muscle Pain
  • Vomiting

Those affected with yellow fever will improve after the initial onset of the illness. Unfortunately, after a brief remission (hours to a day) the severity of the disease may increase. Approximately 15% of patients progress to a more toxic form of the disease and may experience jaundice, hemorrhagic symptoms, shock and finally multisystem organ failure. The fatality ratio for severe cases that include renal failure is 20%–50%. 

Treatment

There are currently no specific medications for the treatment of yellow fever. Treatment is focused on alleviating symptoms or providing life-saving intervention in severe cases of the disease. Care should be taken to avoid medications that increase the patient’s risk of bleeding.

• Members
6 hours ago, Riobard said:

Swipe left to right for increasing freedom and safety ...

Guyana is more Caribbean in values. Sodomy law technically remains on the books. 

Suriname more relaxed but do not expect Netherlands-level openness. No mixing of same-sex surnames. 

French Guiana law follows that of France. Gay marriage is legal. And imported champagne likely cheaper. 

I do not know Suriname nor Guyana even though I work with these contries and it is not that easy (bribes, delays, ...)

Franch Guyana is part of France (it is a departement). But there are many safety concerns due to immigration from brazil and Suriname and people looking for gold in Amazonia