mvan1

How about a nice walk in Rio

• Members
36 minutes ago, likeohmygod said:

Oh no...another thread about crime and muggings in Rio...while the homicide rate decreased of a 18% YoY.

Besides people getting robbed 392 times a week...STOP PUTTING A HUGE TARGET ON YOUR BACK, acting like a tourist, or doing stupid things like acting as a rich person (brazilian or not) while you're in areas at risk. If you don't do stupid things you'll not get mugged. The only time I got assaulted was i guess 3 years ago, while sitting on Copacabana's beach at night...I deserved it as a lesson.

This is not something valid only in Rio or Brazil (where the crisis is still hitting hard)....it's still valid in every big city, with some rare and extreme exceptions.

But i want to spend a couple of words about 117's place....Rua Candido Mendes outside 117 is not dangerous until you don't pass the Swiss consulate which is 4 or 5 buildings upwards from 117. The route between 117 and the metro is safe even at night, until you walk staying close to the buildings.

The robberies and the muggings which occurred to the garotos on the last times occurred in Rua da Gloria, on the road side which faces towards Flamengo; and in Rua Hermenegildo de Barros, which is the road above 117, where Ubers usually do a U-turn and where many garotos park their cars and motorbikes.

True, these guys are complaining, but ask them why they think they got robbed and they'll all tall you they did a stupid thing. One was walking on the road side of Rua da Gloria and got stopped by two armed guys on a motorbike, while wearing a huge golden necklace and walking with his iphone on his hands wearing earplugs. Another one was having a Facetime call while walking in the night. Another one was counting the bills at the corner...

Don't think that the thieves don't know what's going on in saunas (can be 117, 202, Lagoa....and so on) and how much money is coming in and out from it.

Last week I was forced to interrupt a brief holiday in Europe and to come back to Sao Paulo, because thieves incredibly broke into my apartment (and 2 more on the same building). Curiously the same thing happened to a friend of me in NYC at the beginning of July and 2 building workers, got injured too.

Around 8 years ago I was sitting "alone" waiting for a late night bus in Dublin and playing with my mobile phobe...which got stolen from a young kid.

Oh and then there's a friend of a friend of me in the UK, which got seriously injured by acid attacks.

(and for some reasons....i feel like it's easier to die in a big EU city due to a terrorist attack than to die in Brazil due to an assault.)

We may or may not be referring to the same garoto robbery. The one I’m referring to occurred in May, and was on Candido Mendes. This garoto is particularly flashy and I believe he does have a motorcycle, so he probably was on his way to the bike when it occurred.

Either way, you reveal that at least 3 garoto robberies occurred upon leaving 117 this year — and thanks for this info. And yes, this very well could and probably does happen at 202 (which practically sits at the bottom of a favela), and the other saunas. Yes, quite a few area locals know that cash money is flowing in and out of the saunas.

I will add that although, yes, there are plenty of things one can do to reduce his or her risk of being a target for or a victim of crime —- the percentage of risk will never be zero, and sometimes shit just happens.

And face it, some people just have bigger targets on their backs in certain areas. An older white man shaped like the Pillsbury Doughboy dressed in an Izod shirt and plaid shorts with Ray-Ban shades and a backback in Copacabana is going to be a much bigger, much easier target than a youthful looking brown-skinned black man built like a running back, even if that black man has a decent watch and a smartphone! Conversely, in the American South or Midwest, that very same black man would most likely be stopped by the police or reported by a suspicious white resident as a crime suspect, and his life and liberty could be in danger. 

Edited by SolaceSoul

• Members

Here is a representation of what are likely the most accurate, up-to-date, comprehensive data on reported passerby street robberies for the Metro Rio region pop 13,000,000 ... one must logically extrapololate for Zona Sul

Yep, I am guilty of trolling for figures.

You can actually find stats stratified according to things like exclusive cell phone theft, so there are overlaps.

As you can see, the odds by capita per week are approximately 1/2,000 and bodily injury occurs in about half of incidents. 

(By Copacana pop extrapolation, would be about 80 robberies weekly there).

Still, the chances of being mugged over one week would be not a lot greater than one lightning strike over one's lifetime. 

Causality trumps statistics, particular for outlier or low probability. For either above scenario, an explanatory "story" helps us make sense of the world's apparent randomness, ie, insufficient precautions contributing to the event. This often leads to neutral stereotyping ... yes, profiling does not always need to be demonized and need not be seen reflective of absence of empathy for trauma.

People generally prefer interpreting individual propensity over an act of God or being reminded that heinous felons exist in our midst. This is also exempified, in the not uncommon hackneyed idea of attributing blame to sexual assault victims, an example of pejorative stereotyping. 

IMG_2946.PNG

• Members
12 hours ago, Badboy81 said:

Stop looking like such a tourist!!

In touristy cities where you hear many stories of muggings, unfortunately it's generally because they have flip flops, shorts, a silly t-shirt, an SLR camera, a “fanny pack” and other such things that draw attention to them. Even if they wear less obvious clothing they may be walking around with an expensive looking smartphone, and I even had to insist that one of my Couchsurfers in Recife Brazil leave his Rolex watch in the house whenever he went out.

Great article for some of the guys who are easy targets....Read it, then reread it....

https://www.fluentin3months.com/theft/

I just finished reading this article. He offers some excellent insight and advice on how to avoid being a victim of travelers’ crimes, or just crimes of opportunity in general. I agree with much of what he says — especially where he notes that almost every incident of travelers’ crime can be traced back to mistakes or errors that the victim or target made or could have prevented with some extra planning, precaution or awareness. 

Thanks for posting, @badboy

Here are some of the truisms he noted in the article that are absolutely correct — but are sure to piss off some of the posters here, because they hit too close to home:

1B3B64C1-22F5-4453-8C51-FC286E0C15AB.jpeg

6EB458B8-C480-4A47-91F3-F583198A07CB.jpeg

00550CBF-B65B-460B-BEF0-C13020E854F8.jpeg

0CA4A89D-0198-4B4E-B245-3B7E1B4C4C2F.jpeg

• Members
35 minutes ago, Riobard said:

Causality trumps statistics, particular for outlier or low probability. For either above scenario, an explanatory "story" helps us make sense of the world's apparent randomness, ie, insufficient precautions contributing to the event. This often leads to neutral stereotyping ... yes, profiling does not always need to be demonized and need not be seen reflective of absence of empathy for trauma.

I have to use my decoder ring, but you’re basically saying here (in your own purposefully muddled and pretentious way) the very same thing that the travel blogger that @badboy posted said here, but in simple English:

https://www.fluentin3months.com/theft/

Most, but not all, incidents of travelers’ crime and crimes of opportunity could be prevented by the targeted victims with some extra planning, precaution and awareness on the targeted victim’s part. Almost every one of these crimes can be traced back to victim error.

They ain’t called “crimes of opportunity” for nothin’!

• Members

LOL .... the decoder ring could use a software upgrade and better discern the fit of ad hominem attack, #SolsticeSol random star flare burn attempt intent. ;>D

The thing is, you grasp exactly what I wrote, have a self-identified maths/prob'y background, and are perhaps overidentifying with readers that may be less familiar with some ideas and language. 

I was explaining how we organize statistics, probability, and episodic reports to inform our own risk/benefit scenarios and psychologically manage the reality of bad events, including distancing ourselves from identifying with victims. A little more along the lines of things like "outcome bias" discussed in recent threads, and to add insight into why some casualties are offended if others inquire about potential risk attributes.

So not just a list of the now repetitive, hence approaching pedestrian, advice bulletpoints as per the article, which of course is interesting and useful on a stand-alone basis.

Nobody could accuse you of being discriminatory or not game for playfulness. Rhaonw!! [teasing]

Edited by Riobard

• Members
25 minutes ago, Riobard said:

The thing is, you grasp exactly what I wrote, have a self-identified maths/prob'y background, and are perhaps overidentifying with readers that may be less familiar with some ideas and language

Like I said in a previous thread, I may understand the viewing audience a little better than you. Very few here are interested in analyzing, dissecting and digesting the results of a peer-reviewed research dissertation from the Journal of Probability and Statistics.

Tone down the pseudo-intellectual rhetoric a bit. You’re blinding us with science, Ms. Sakomoto!

B4D57BF3-6AB7-4B30-91B5-9B2F542DC111.gif

• Members
On 8/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, SolaceSoul said:

Like I said in a previous thread, I may understand the viewing audience a little better than you. Very few here are interested in analyzing, dissecting and digesting the results of a peer-reviewed research dissertation from the Journal of Probability and Statistics. 

Just how many casts of thousands on the message board here endorse your self-appointed bossy-pants moderator role? 

Like has been said previously, any reader can just bypass a post and consideration of an appreciative emoticon. Only a reminder ... I don't pretend to have the capacity to influence members very much, particularly the pseudoperson that your bad manners make you. 

In contrast, perhaps you crashed and burned at a Blue Man Group audition and desperately need a little drummer-boy soapbox for your face and overextended lid of garbage. Just breathe.

I won't take editorial direction from any overly critical <soul's asshole>. If you truly understand the audience you would recognize that you are fired in terms of input for me, and would take your unsolicited resumé elsewhere for the oxygen your ego craves. 

• Members
57 minutes ago, Riobard said:

Just how many casts of thousands on the message board here endorse your self-appointed bossy-pants moderator role? 

Like has been said previously, any reader can just bypass a post and consideration of an appreciative emoticon. Only a reminder ... I don't pretend to have the capacity to influence members very much, particularly the pseudoperson that your bad manners make you. 

In contrast, perhaps you crashed and burned at a Blue Man Group audition and desperately need a little drummer-boy soapbox for your face and overextended lid of garbage. Just breathe.

I won't take editorial direction from any overly critical <soul's asshole>. If you truly understand the audience you would recognize that you are fired in terms of input for me, and would take your unsolicited resumé elsewhere for the oxygen your ego craves. 

Wow.

I say this with all seriousness.

Seek help.

• Members
30 minutes ago, SolaceSoul said:

Seek help.

Not needed. I can handle on my own an arrogant ostentatious prick insisting on dogging me and select others. You always come back to this amateurish psychodiagnostic bone to gnaw on. It is like a tired invariant script. Don't you get tired of chasing your own tail?

I don't mind taking the time to push back. It is like psychological Sudoku. You are both easy to know and flick away. 

On message boards, folks like you simply represent a faction of bright yet distasteful people that pervade our midst. Don't try to change. Your personality is entrenched, helpless yet essentialist in terms of the inevitable part-time troll role you fill. It is a dirty job, but someone has to fill it and your sacrifice is appreciated. 

I also prefer a troll with half a brain, so plod on, Snookums. Better you than some pitiful others the antithesis of a Mensa chapter prez. 

If readers want an education about you, or not, either way no skin off my ass.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:26 PM, Badboy81 said:

Just go to Thailand and call it a day....I get it, you still feel some type of way because of what happened to you...Let it go dear...

@Badboy81 Hey, I agree with your point. But, could we be a bit less aggressive about "old men" . I agree there are those who simply belong in Thailand where I have been more than 30 times. Yet, we love Rio guys and I , for example, have a boy friend in Santo Domingo who is no tiny Twink - we all have differing tastes - sauna workers in Rio are NOT better than such works in Bangkok - they are different and there does not have to be a qualitative judgement. I know you meant well but "my lovely" choice is not "your ugly" choice.

• Members
27 minutes ago, paborn said:

Sadly, in my experience, those who find need to point out that they are superior seldom are.

Yep. Intelligence is like having a big dick, or like being a lady. Or, like what Margaret Thatcher famously said about power: “Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.”

Sure, you’re smart, Fredo! You’re really smart! And you want RESPECK!

• Members

Look, fellows ... there is a division here, fair enough, it happens. And who's zoomin'' who is actually ambiguous. LOL

I don't particularly support one-sided alliance either way, and I would prefer to be friendly with everyone, however capable or incapable others are in making an accurate assessment of my motives.

This thread got most derailed when I was criticized for posting some data I found interesting and relevant. I was certain that the language I used was qualitatively no different than my contributions earlier in the thread.

As I reflect more on it, I think my earlier thread points were valued more because they attracted a shark school of the usual predictable array of bee-atches to send up a contributor whose posts were, granted, inconsistent and exaggerated.

When that fizzled, it seems that I was the next best candidate in line for being chum in the water. Historically, it seems that anybody can be that chum for our most favourite chum here and whoever his current cronies may be ... they should all get a room, fuck themselves silly (however flaccidizing that thought) and bite each others' heads off for snacks. 

I have noticed similar trends in other interpersonal systems ... teams, families, working groups, etc. Best to just try to roll with it. 

It can be unfortunate and offputting at times. It is a challenge not to feel a teeny tiny bit superior as one witnesses substandard observational skills and half-baked pronouncements. But everybody has their own particular strengths that surpass mine. 

The negativity is disorienting because I had the good fortune of growing in a very healthy functioning family. On balance, I don't feel strongly I should ignore members. I accept that others may choose to react by not reacting. 

I think I am of average intelligence but I do like to stretch myself to learn, and I do try to track, unpack, and comprehend the often problematic dynamics that arise in the typical message board setting.

I am smart enough to know that even these thoughts are up for grabs for gratuitous mockery. However, the key is simply to deposit such outliers' comments in the "questionable worth" bin, respond as needed, and calmly anticipate the next salvo.

Extracting what is good about the forum as long as it is sufficiently proportional. 

• Members
2 hours ago, paborn said:

@Badboy81 Hey, I agree with your point. But, could we be a bit less aggressive about "old men" . I agree there are those who simply belong in Thailand where I have been more than 30 times. Yet, we love Rio guys and I , for example, have a boy friend in Santo Domingo who is no tiny Twink - we all have differing tastes - sauna workers in Rio are NOT better than such works in Bangkok - they are different and there does not have to be a qualitative judgement. I know you meant well but "my lovely" choice is not "your ugly" choice.

Did I miss something? I thought that Badboy's hostile comment to Sydneyboy was about the perhaps relative safety of Thailand, not to do with age or type of worker.

Crime rates seem independent of any dig about age or preferred type. If his advice is to "let go" the assault memory embedded at a younger age, it makes sense to stick with Rio and the many consecutive uneventful visits that subsequently occurred. 

I cannot be sure due to the trend for some associates to egg each other on in their disorganized contempt for difference. Gets confusing. 

1 hour ago, Riobard said:

Did I miss something? I thought that Badboy's hostile comment to Sydneyboy was about the perhaps relative safety of Thailand, not to do with age or type of worker.

Crime rates seem independent of any dig about age or preferred type. If his advice is to "let go" the assault memory embedded at a younger age, it makes sense to stick with Rio and the many consecutive uneventful visits that subsequently occurred. 

I cannot be sure due to the trend for some associates to egg each other on in their disorganized contempt for difference. Gets confusing. 

Yes you missed one of  his multiple posts. He compared, unfavorably the looks of the workers in Thailand vis Rio. Go back and check

• Members
4 minutes ago, paborn said:

Yes you missed one of  his multiple posts. He compared, unfavorably the looks of the workers in Thailand vis Rio. Go back and check

Ta. Like I need to fact check. He has also been compared unfavourably, not that moi would ever ... This is another example of the finger-pointer frantically attempting to distract by self-elevation. You were being Canuckly polite. LOL. Hand a tissue for the nose-bleed.