Riofan

First night in Rio at 117

I went to 117 last night.  While they did have signs posted saying that you are required to show proof of vaccination, no one asked me for proof.  Inside only a few clients wore masks and none of the boys did (I did not).  It felt like nothing had changed since I was last here almost 2 years ago except for the GP’s who were there last night.  It was crowded as it always is on Tuesdays but there were very few guys who were my type (really handsome lightly muscled to heavy muscled).  I was disappointed that only one of the regulars from my last few visits before Covid was there last night.  I had let him know I was coming.  I only did one program with him and a friend of his (an American football player type build kind of guy who was a great kisser).  There used to be so many cute regulars that I enjoyed but my friend told me he has not seen them at the clubs since Covid.  I am trying to decide if I will go back to 117 tonight or give 202 a try.  I have been to 202 a couple of times before years ago but had no luck.  Maybe I will give it a try tonight.  My hotel in Centro seems the same except due to Covid they don’t stock the mini bar in room.  I don’t know how that corresponds to Covid but whatever.  I usually convert my money at the airport (I know I shouldn’t but it is so convenient) but my flights were delayed so I had to race through GRU to catch my connecting flight to Rio, so I did not have time to exchange my cash.  Santos Dumont (my final destination) does not have a currency exchange.  Now I have to figure out how to find a currency exchange somewhere Centro within walking distance of my hotel.  I will check with the front desk when I go down for breakfast.  

• Members

The mini-bar extinction is mainly an artefact of concern related to microbial transmission from surfaces. The contents may have been handled by any number of room occupants. Think CoV-infected runny-nosed rugrat. Hotels assert broad-range fomite disinfection between stays but it’s impractical to swab every Toblerone and Smirnoff that the filthy guest prior to you may have mauled and placed back. Some people also use hotels for quarantine if they have been in contact with an infected person, for example to protect other family members, and it is not obligatory to report the reason for stay. Hoteliers have always hated the labour-intensity and minimal profit margins of mini-bars anyway. Surface contact transmission is less of a concern for an airborne pathogen but I doubt we’ll see a return of this amenity in establishments that have amputated them. 

2nd night I started out a 202 since I had not been there in years.  The building was in slightly better shape than I remember.  It was very full since it was their free room night.  Many more boys than clients (from what I could see).  Once again no one asked for any vaccination proof.  My GP friend from 117 went with me.  I did not find any one who was exactly what I was looking for so after an hour we headed over to 117.  This was a mistake as the place was totally dead and near empty.  At one point I counted 6 clients and 7 boys.  I hope tonight has a bigger crowd.

Great to hear that things are still operating, although sorry to hear it has been disappointing--so far (and it only takes one great night to turn that disappointment around ;)

I'm curious (since I haven't been since pre-pandemic), is there any change in the going rate of around 100 reais? (I could see some factors pushing it up--high inflation--or others pushing it down--high unemployment)

Also what is the word "on the street" about the security situation? Every Brazilian that I have met during pandemic times, except one (at the Sauna Thermas in Barcelona) has said that the security situation has deteriorated further in the last couple years (some blame covid, some Bolsonaro). But this is a biased sample, consisting largely of Brazilians living in or traveling to Europe.

Looking forward to hearing about your third night....

1 hour ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

Great to hear that things are still operating, although sorry to hear it has been disappointing--so far (and it only takes one great night to turn that disappointment around ;)

I'm curious (since I haven't been since pre-pandemic), is there any change in the going rate of around 100 reais? (I could see some factors pushing it up--high inflation--or others pushing it down--high unemployment)

Also what is the word "on the street" about the security situation? Every Brazilian that I have met during pandemic times, except one (at the Sauna Thermas in Barcelona) has said that the security situation has deteriorated further in the last couple years (some blame covid, some Bolsonaro). But this is a biased sample, consisting largely of Brazilians living in or traveling to Europe.

Looking forward to hearing about your third night....

Going rate is 150 Reals for Sao Paulo and Rio

• Members
4 hours ago, Lonnie said:

anyone know overnight rates? Would 400-500 Reals cover it? A few years ago that was considered generous in SP.

Overnight rates vary wildly. It really depends on the garoto and sometimes, the nature of the relationship with the client. A little of it (but not much) has to do with negotiating skills. I’ve seen as low as 200 reais (rare), and as high as 2500 reais (also rare). You just have to decide what you’re willing to pay and if it’s not in that range, be okay with walking away. 

Some advertising garotos indicate on their ads (Viva Local, Garoto Com Local) what their overnight prices are. That would be a good place to start to get a general sense of overnight pricing. 

• Members
16 hours ago, Riofan said:

I did not find any one who was exactly what I was looking for so after an hour we headed over to 117.  This was a mistake as the place was totally dead and near empty.  At one point I counted 6 clients and 7 boys.  I hope tonight has a bigger crowd.

Wednesday night is currently Point 202’s best and busiest night. Club 117 on a Wednesday is going to be slow or just completely dead.

Thursday is going to be meh at either sauna, so pick your poison and expect a slow night. 

Thursday night (3rd night if my trip) was much improved.  I spent the evening at 117. I was pleased that I saw 4 GP’s from previous trips back at the club.  It was not very busy but there were many more there than Wednesday.  I spent the whole evening with 2 old favorites.  I paid for a third (bottom) to join us in a suite so I could watch my 2 friends do him. It was quite hot.  As for the going rate it seems to be 150 from what I can see which at $26 is quite the bargain.  Hoping tonight is even busier.  There was a GP there last night who kept making eye contact with me while I was with my 2 companions.  He was very handsome so if he is there again tonight I might hire him.  Tomorrow is the managers birthday celebration and they expect a bigger crowd. I’ll let you know.  Today I have to find a place to line up a COVID test to take on Sunday so I can fly home on Monday.  Wish me luck!  On a side note, Google Translate is much improved since my last trip making conversation pretty easy.

• Members
45 minutes ago, Riofan said:

Today I have to find a place to line up a COVID test to take on Sunday so I can fly home on Monday.  Wish me luck!

Sign up here then go to your appointment at one of these pharmacy branches, Droga Raia :

https://www.drogaraia.com.br/agendamento/covid19/

Or this one, Drogasmil:

https://www.drogasmil.com.br/servicos/teste-de-covid

• Members
On 12/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, Riofan said:

Thursday night (3rd night if my trip) was much improved.

That is something that usually happens to me in my trips. The first day or couple of days I am anxious and full of excitement and expectations, and I end disappointed. Fortunately, it never lasts more than a couple of days.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:43 AM, babybear2 said:

Going rate is 150 Reals for Sao Paulo and Rio

The past couple years (pre-pandemic) in SP I agree the going rate in Lagoa was 150, and for callboys about 300.

Rio, which is such a different city economically with less economic opportunity, in the saunas I would say "100 reais, si?" and 80% would smile si (they were pleased with it) 10% would say si without a smile (they were probably planning on asking for more and so were disappointed that I knew the proper rate, and then 10% would go ahead and ask for more. Callboys in rio were 200-250, maybe up to 300 in the most exceptional cases

On 12/17/2021 at 1:42 AM, SolaceSoul said:

Overnight rates vary wildly. It really depends on the garoto and sometimes, the nature of the relationship with the client. A little of it (but not much) has to do with negotiating skills. I’ve seen as low as 200 reais (rare), and as high as 2500 reais (also rare). You just have to decide what you’re willing to pay and if it’s not in that range, be okay with walking away. 

Some advertising garotos indicate on their ads (Viva Local, Garoto Com Local) what their overnight prices are. That would be a good place to start to get a general sense of overnight pricing. 

Any security qualms about having the guys over for overnights? I think that's one factor that can keep the Brazilian saunas com boys going even in the app area. I have brought guys home from 117 and 202 back to my airbnb a few times and it worked out fine (ok, in one case, amazing!) but I was kind of aware that I was probably doing something I shouldn't do.

Incidentally, I've lost touch with my favorite Rio boy; is it appropriate to post his (G-rated) picture in case anyone has seen him around?

• Members
4 minutes ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

Any security qualms about having the guys over for overnights? I think that's one factor that can keep the Brazilian saunas com boys going even in the app area. I have brought guys home from 117 and 202 back to my airbnb a few times and it worked out fine (ok, in one case, amazing!) but I was kind of aware that I was probably doing something I shouldn't do.

It’s definitely safer to hook up with an unknown garoto at a sauna than at your hotel or apartment, but another option is to get a room at a love hotel for the deed — they are all over the cities and towns in Brazil and all the locals use them for their extramarital affairs and hookers.

Pulling an unknown worker from the sauna and taking him back to your place is not a suggested move. But then again, it might be just as “safe” as hiring an unknown from an online ad. Russian Roulette, either way. Your call. 

The saunas work great as a launching pad and testing site for the guys. After dealing with them a couple of times, an invite back might prove to be safer. But if you’re a tourist who’s only there for a week, I realize you don’t have that much time. Some guys like the overnight as part of their “BFE”. If someone up to no good knows you’re only there for a few days, and they’re in your place with all your stuff, that’s just a recipe for disaster — sooner or later. 

12 minutes ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

Incidentally, I've lost touch with my favorite Rio boy; is it appropriate to post his (G-rated) picture in case anyone has seen him around?

It’s against Brazilian law (punishable by jail and fines) to post photos of someone online without his or he consent. If it’s a site with adult content or of a sexual nature, the penalties can be even more severe (call it a twist on Latin pride).

It’s also just in bad form and poor taste. But that doesn’t seem to stop some people! 

I would privately message some posters you know and like who are frequently in Rio with his photo and ask them if they have any leads. Or ask other GPs from the saunas in Rio in WhatsApp. A lot of them are friends with each other and may keep in touch even after retirement.

• Members
16 hours ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

The past couple years (pre-pandemic) in SP I agree the going rate in Lagoa was 150, and for callboys about 300.

Rio, which is such a different city economically with less economic opportunity, in the saunas I would say "100 reais, si?" and 80% would smile si (they were pleased with it) 10% would say si without a smile (they were probably planning on asking for more and so were disappointed that I knew the proper rate, and then 10% would go ahead and ask for more. Callboys in rio were 200-250, maybe up to 300 in the most exceptional cases

You’re reporting “pre-pandemic”, even if that was just a few years ago. There are several posters here (and in other recent threads) who are reporting their current experiences with garoto pricing in real time.

To put it in better perspective, today 100 Brazilian reais is worth only 22 CAD or $17.50 USD.

There are probably a few at 202 (more likely) than at 117 (less likely) that you could talk down to 100 reais, but the question is: why would someone (a traveling client, not a local) want to?