reader

Dying is the last thing you do

1 hour ago, CurtisD said:

Short of doing something so awesome that it will be remembered down the ages (not much chance for most of us), our best hope is to have people we have helped during our lives, friends, and family in whose hearts a fond memory lingers for a few decades.  

You are right, cruel as it is it takes max 3 generations until we are completely forgotten like we never existed. we know plenty about our parents, quite a bit about grandparents, very little about great-grandparents if anything at all and honestly that where abyss starts . Very few people know  who their great-grandparents were and when and where they were buried.

• Members
10 hours ago, CurtisD said:

I do not think bequests are the best way to ensure you are remembered.

Well, I do have a scholarship fund in my name to help university students who've suffered on account of their sexual orientation or gender identity, which is designed to last into perpetuity. I suppose the recipient many never bother to learn anything about me, but at least he or she will know my name. 

Thanks for that, Nirish. My advisor actually suggested something similar so that is probably the way to go.

Being gay with no ties means many of us have superfluous money, as we've not had the cost of a family to drain our funds. I'd hate to think what it costs to educate a couple of kids through to university! And in my case the partners I've had over my lifetime have all been self-sufficient and have been able to pay their own way. So it may sound strange but I actually enjoy having a couple of very special friends in Thailand who I can spend money on, spoil a bit and look after. 

I've now entered my 70s and although I have no intention of dropping off the perch soon, I'm trying to downsize and get rid of much of the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years. As a shopping tragic, I've ended up with way too much of everything. (The Salvation Army is doing very well out of me!)  So although I'm doing my best to spend, like many at my age I've got everything I need.  Money is great when you're young because we have so many "wants " but at my age, money and assets become rather meaningless.

I'm not complaining - It's a wonderful situation in which to be - but it's good to sit back and think how I am able to share what I have. 

I just need to work out HOW to share it.  I'll leave that to the experts.

3 hours ago, a-447 said:

Money is great when you're young because we have so many "wants " but at my age, money and assets become rather meaningless.

you must be right, I hard it form my maternal grandmother as teenager, word for word and he was smart lady , God let her rest in peace

11 hours ago, a-447 said:

Money is great when you're young because we have so many "wants " but at my age, money and assets become rather meaningless...

As long as we have enough, yes.

Hopefully I have a few decades left.  However, since medical insurance gets more expensive as we age, I'd rather keep a well funded retirement pot.