billyhouston

TM30 Regulations

Late last year I attended a meeting in Bangkok which required me to fly down and spend a night in my usual hotel there. Inevitably the hotel submitted a TM30, which caused problems when I tried to do my 90-day reporting online. Subsequently I had a discussion wth the local immigration people, who took a more relaxed (and more reasonable) view of how these regulations should be enforced. They pretty much laughed at the 24-hour requirement. I was given practical advice as to how to stay clear of problems in future which was greatly appreciated,

A few days ago, in Bangkok for a minor celebration, I stayed again at my usual hotel and noticed that the registration form had significant changes. My personal details were preprinted, as usual, but there was a new section which required me to state from where I was arriving and to where I was going upon leaving. Obviously, in my case, this was my home address. I wonder if this change in requirements has been noticed by others and whether it's a further 'tightening' of the TM30 requirements?

Maybe I am suffering from some brain fog but to whom exactly does TM 30 apply to?

If one is living here long time say in BKK (eg on a retirement visa) going to another province for a short visit and staying there at a hotel for a few days requires no notification by the guest to immigration?

Right or not?

Added : I did some research after my initial posting here and it seems that CM immigration is one of the few offices which enforce TM 30 as the OP describes.

I assume the OP is in CM or deals with an immigration office that handles TM 30 differently.

58 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

What was the reason given for the fines and, if you know, how much were the fines?  Where were they fined -Pattaya, Chiang Mai, elsewhere?

Fine was 1600 Baht if I recall. Both were a case of the landlord failing to register them after they rented a condo. This was at Soi 5 immigration, Jomtien. 

1 hour ago, billyhouston said:

To be fair, and put the record straight, CM Immigration have a very sensible and civilised approach to TM30; the problem was with Bangkok who I believe handle TM30 reporting online.

Excuse me I am now totally confused. I assume you make your 90-day report to CM. When you visit BKK a TM 30 you say needs to be made which causes problems with your 90 report. But that report is made to and decided by CM.

So how is that the problem with Bangkok immigration?

Please explain.

4 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

Both were a case of the landlord failing to register them after they rented a condo. This was at Soi 5 immigration, Jomtien. 

And they were fined rather than the landlords?  The landlord is exempt from any responsibility or penalty for failing to file the form?  The renter ends up punished instead?  That makes about as much sense as usual - in other words none.  How are renters supposed to even know whether the landlords complied and filed?  It looks to me if you're going to rent a condo, then you better go to immigration and complete a TM-30 form yourself rather than depending on the landlord unless you want to risk a fine and a black mark on your records at immigration.

Apparently it doesn't matter whether it is ridiculous or not.  It's just open your wallet and pay up - and do it pronto.  If someone is in Thailand to commit crimes, what makes immigration think he's going to supply correct whereabouts information in the first place?

Time to dig out my "I Don't Get It" list . . .

7 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

And they were fined rather than the landlords?  The landlord is exempt from any responsibility or penalty for failing to file the form?  The renter ends up punished?  That makes about as much sense as usual - in other words none.  How are renters supposed to even know whether the landlords complied and filed?  It looks to me if you're going to rent a condo, then you better go to immigration and complete a TM-30 form yourself rather than depending on the landlord unless you want to risk a fine and a black mark on your records at immigration.

Apparently it doesn't matter whether it is ridiculous or not.  It's just open your wallet and pay up - and do it pronto.  If someone is in Thailand to commit crimes, what makes immigration think he's going to supply correct whereabouts information in the first place?

Don't look for logic at Thai authorities...

7 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

And they were fined rather than the landlords?  The landlord is exempt from any responsibility or penalty for failing to file the form?  The renter ends up punished instead?  That makes about as much sense as usual - in other words none.  How are renters supposed to even know whether the landlords complied and filed?  It looks to me if you're going to rent a condo, then you better go to immigration and complete a TM-30 form yourself rather than depending on the landlord unless you want to risk a fine and a black mark on your records at immigration.

You are correct. When I got my condo, I went to immigration myself and filed my TM30. It seems many people don't know about it, and many landlords or agents just don't bother if not asked. 

As with most things, best to do you research and do it yourself. It's an easy cash cow for immigration. 

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

and yet you still happily live there for many years so obviously that lack of logic is just minor obstacle

When living in Thailand it doesn't take long to expect it to be that way, so it rarely comes as a major shock or surprise to me.  But things like that come as a very unpleasant surprise to people who don't understand the way things work in Thailand and have no idea how to deal with it when things happen.  You either live with it and accept it as part of life in Thailand or Thailand is the wrong country to live in.  The worst mistake I see foreigners make is if they try to argue when things like that happen.  All that ever does is make things worse,often much worse, especially if they raise their voice.

8 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

When living in Thailand it doesn't take long to expect it to be that way, so it rarely comes as a major shock or surprise to me.  But things like that come as a very unpleasant surprise to people who don't understand the way things work in Thailand and have no idea how to deal with it when things happen.  You either live with it and accept it as part of life in Thailand or Thailand is the wrong country to live in.  The worst mistake I see foreigners make is if they try to argue when things like that happen.  All that ever does is make things worse,often much worse, especially if they raise their voice.

Yes it's a huge mistake to argue and raise the voice on Thai people because it may cause them to loose face, Thai people usually don't behave like that and detaste such kind of behavior. Form my many years experience in Thailand keep smiling and being polite even at the hardest and  frustrating situations is the best way dealing with Thai people. 

Must be one of the biggest myths that Thai people do not raise their voices. "Losing face" is also not exclusive to Thailand or South East Asia, either. In the Middle East there is a lot going on in the name of honor and in the western countries people don't like to be punked or disrespected, so be careful how you talk to them etc. Add some Latin pride to that and you might have a worldwide phenomenon.

I do agree that arguing doesn't make these situations any better.