reader

Cops check foreigners for passports

Thanks for that. I noticed in Colombia this winter the hotels photocopied the ID page and the date stamp page. I don't recall ever seeing the date stamp page photocopied in other countries. But I'm not particularly well travelled so it could be done lots of places.

On a slight tangent, I got a new passport when in the UK last month (excellent 48 hour service booked in advance - although at a price) and now have the hassle of ensuring almost every organisation I have to deal with in Bangkok has my passport details changed. On Friday at the Bangkok Bank Head Office I could not believe this meant the bank staff had not only to change my passbook but complete around 20 different forms of which I had to countesign most. The whole process took nearly 25 minutes and struck me as a total waste of staff time for what ought to be a relatively simple procedure! 

Re the cops, I always carry with me a laminated photocopy of the passport details page with the visa on the other side. Never been asked for it, though! 

On 4/8/2023 at 9:09 PM, xpaulo said:

Thanks for that. I noticed in Colombia this winter the hotels photocopied the ID page and the date stamp page. I don't recall ever seeing the date stamp page photocopied in other countries. But I'm not particularly well travelled so it could be done lots of places.

Yes it happened to me too they copied not only my passport but also my Colombian boyfriend ID . In my country they don't even bother to request my ID only to show the credit card I used for paying the room.

Is a Thai Driver's License not enough?  I have always found that it is sufficient everyone I got. But, I have not been a part of a raid like this to a bar since the old Crazy Dragon days more moons ago than I can remember.