Zackbr1952

Any knew news on October 1st Visa Requirement?

Anyone read anything lately? I know the required documentation is submitted electronically through their portal. I assume it is some sort of e-visa linked to your passport and , perhaps, no paper visa in your passport?? With my next trip planned for early November, I get a bit nervous. This is Brazil, after all, so I hope they are prepared in October.

• Members
2 hours ago, floridarob said:

There's still a lot of outdated pages out there. The Brasil consulate in NYC still has old info....

@floridarob I just got my passport book and Id card. It’s so frustrating not knowing all I need and where to get the stuff. Cause I’m trying to go to Brazil in August. I just need to know if brazils website is correct. Cause even it says you don’t need one for tourism until sometime in October . I just need them to tell me where to spend my money so I can enter the country and some of there sons. Okay. 

https://giphy.com/clips/emmys-amen-okurrr-rupual-ozfOoqUqCPFi7nJEXf

The consulate I am required to use informs me:

From October 1st, 2023, the requirement for a visit visa for trips to Brazil will be resumed for nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, United States and Japan. The electronic visa modality that was in force before the unilateral exemption put into practice from March 2019 will be adopted. Details regarding the granting of such visas will be announced in due course.

So far, we haven't received instructions on visa applications for Canadians. We recommend checking our website for further information.

Sincerely,

Setor de Vistos | Visa Section
Consulado Geral do Brasil em Vancouver | Consulate General of Brazil in Vancouver

"In due course" , ya right.

56 minutes ago, Zackbr1952 said:

The consulate I am required to use informs me:

Funny, I just got a reply from the Boston Consulate:

Dear sir,

If you are a US Citizen, applications are not open yet. The Brazilian Government will adopt the electronic visa modality, which was in force before the unilateral exemption. Updates will be published on our website once available.

Cordially,

Visa Department
Consulate General of Brazil in Boston
175 Purchase St, Boston MA 02110

Well, I don't know of such a thing as a paper application process existing anymore, Scott. As far as I know everything dealing with the Brazilian Consulates/embassies is first thru the Brazilian government portal. You need to apply (on-line) there first to obtain a protocol,  and only then do you send in your passport,  photos and payment to the Brazil consulate in your jurisdiction. And, the consulates affected by Senior Lula's decree have not received the go-ahead as of now to process visitor visas (vitims).

That's my understanding, anyway.

2 hours ago, scott456 said:

Why can't you all guys just use the paper application and apply for the 10 year visa in the old way? Fill out the paper, send in picture and money. You can also do it through authorized travel agents.

Because of this, they're not accepting any type of applications yet from US Citizens:

If you are a US Citizen, applications are not open yet

Quick question. When i was in South America, Brazil was not on my schedule. But when I visited the Iguazu Falls and stayed on the Argentine side, I was told I HAD to first see the Falls in the morning from the Brazil side - something I would certainly recommend. This meant crossing into Brazil in the morning and returning to Argentina just after lunch. No visa for UK passports was required 13 years ago. Would American citizens now require a full and expensive visa for just a few hours?

On 7/18/2023 at 8:40 AM, Zackbr1952 said:

From October 1st, 2023, the requirement for a visit visa for trips to Brazil will be resumed for nationals of the following countries: Australia, Canada, United States and Japan. The electronic visa modality that was in force before the unilateral exemption put into practice from March 2019 will be adopted. Details regarding the granting of such visas will be announced in due course.

So far, we haven't received instructions on visa applications for Canadians. We recommend checking our website for further information.

I received a similar response from the Consulate in Vancouver on 9th August.

I enter Brazil on 1st October. Since I'm on a group tour, there's no flexibility of changing the date and enter a day earlier. I will continue checking their website to see when the portal will open again for eVisa applications.

Recent Update: It looks like citizens of Japan will not need visas to enter Brazil, going forward. The 2 countries reached an agreement whereby their citizens will not need a visa to visit the other country. 

• Members
2 hours ago, VancBCMan said:

It looks like citizens of Japan will not need visas to enter Brazil, going forward. The 2 countries reached an agreement whereby their citizens will not need a visa to visit the other country. 

Other than those Japanese descendants in Brazil, I doubt many Brazilians are interested in visiting Japan, not to mention entering Japan illegally.

• Members

Everything I'm hearing, including talking yesterday with my longtime visa expert at passportvisasexpress.com, is that the new Brazilian "visa" will be similar to the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) that Australia has been requiring for US citizens.

Likewise, in 2024, 30 European countries (EU + Schengen) will require Americans to pay a nominal fee and register online with its new European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS).

The EU and Australia do not call this requirement a "visa." It is framed as online registration to enable us to get our "visa-free" entry.

Brazil may still want to call its new electronic permission step a "visa" to signal parity with the US requirement that Brazilians get a visa to visit the US.

Anyway, so far it looks like to me that this will take five minutes and few bucks online. No big deal.

🤞

• Members
4 hours ago, Xclay said:

Everything I'm hearing, including talking yesterday with my longtime visa expert at passportvisasexpress.com, is that the new Brazilian "visa" will be similar to the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) that Australia has been requiring for US citizens.

Likewise, in 2024, 30 European countries (EU + Schengen) will require Americans to pay a nominal fee and register online with its new European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS).

The EU and Australia do not call this requirement a "visa." It is framed as online registration to enable us to get our "visa-free" entry.

Brazil may still want to call its new electronic permission step a "visa" to signal parity with the US requirement that Brazilians get a visa to visit the US.

Anyway, so far it looks like to me that this will take five minutes and few bucks online. No big deal.

🤞

I think Australia and EU only charges less than USD $10 for e-visa.  How much is the Brazil e-visa? You can call it "e-visa" or "entry registration" or anything you want, but it is definitely a visa if the fee is anything close to what U.S. requires Brazilians to pay for U.S. visa.

• Members
20 hours ago, bucky13 said:

Is that parity with the US requirement for Brazilians?

Not at all.  I should have put "parity" in quotations marks if the new process will only be a cheap e-thing. 

I did not check on what Canadians and Australians charge (also being required visas to Brazil again). The US charges a daunting $185 for the visa application fee and ordinarily requires an interview!  If granted, it's valid for ten years.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Brazil.html

Maybe what I'm hearing is wrong and Brazil's new "visa" will be a lot more than merely a $10 e-thing. After all, Lula's ministry declared, 
“Brazil does not grant unilateral exemption from visiting visas, without reciprocity, to other countries.”  

National honor vs. helping tourism?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/06/15/brazil-s-economy-is-even-better-than-it-looks/7b6e81b4-0b71-11ee-8132-a84600f3bb9b_story.html
Brazil's inflation is trending down, growth is much higher than expected, interest rates are coming down, the S&P rating of Brazil's debt has turned positive, and Lula's team is successfully negotiating economic plans with the Congress!  So maybe the loss of some tourists can be absorbed now and this is a good time for Brazil to switch back to some version of serious reciprocity.