reader

Court suspends Pita as MP

I don't believe this comes as much of a surprise to those who've been following events.

From The Thai Enquirer

Move Forward Party Leader, Pita Limjaroenrat, has been suspended from his duties as a Member of Parliament.

The Constitutional Court made this decision in light of an ongoing investigation into his eligibility to hold office. The investigation stems from his ownership of 42,000 iTV shares.

The Election Commission (EC) has stated that Pita may not meet the requirements for holding office due to his ownership of media shares, which is prohibited by the charter for political officeholders. As a result, the EC has requested the court to rule on Pita’s eligibility in this matter.

The court has given Pita a 15-day deadline to provide a statement clarifying the allegations against him. There is no verdict yet.

Pita has previously argued that he holds the shares in iTV as an administrator of his father’s inheritance. Additionally, he claims that iTV ceased broadcasting in 2007.

In June, iTV itself clarified that it is no longer involved in the media business.

However, critics contend that although iTV may have stopped broadcasting, it has continued to generate income from other sectors within the media industry.

Even if he is suspended, it does not mean he cannot be nominated for the position of Prime Minister. According to the charter, a Prime Minister does not have to be a Member of Parliament.

[Correction] The previous version of the article erroneously stated that the decision was unanimous. However, it should be clarified that the vote was 7-2.

This is so stupid. All they had to do was wait a couple of days for the vote to play out. It's pretty clear that few of the Senators are going to vote for him. Everyone has already tipped their hands that PT is going to nominate the next candidate and essentially toss MFP out of the coalition. That's going to make people mad enough but using the constitution court this nakedly is just going to make it worse. I guess they're trying to make an example out of him (like they did with the predecessor party) so no one else will challenge the current order, but I think those horses have already left the barn.

I am seeing more commentators suggest that MFP just needs to bide their time in the opposition and will win an overwhelming majority in the next election. But 4 years can be a long time and lots of things can happen.

We all know that at least some members of the Constitutional Court are corrupt. After all, Thaksin senior held shares in his own media company but had parked them temporarily with his garener and housekeeper. He then bribed the Court which ruled 4 to 3 that he could in fact hold office. The ridiculous charge against Khun Pita shows that nothing has changed, except perhaps that Pita is not prepared to go down the corruption route.

From what I read, the Senators' main concern - apart from the fact that most of them would probably find themselves out of a job  - is Move Forward's policy determination to change the draconian lese majeste law. Clearly a majority of the country's electors agree, but this was certainly a red rag to a bull for the army appointed geriatrics. Although the party's stance was modified after the election win, I can't help feeling that had this modified platform been in the original manifesto it would have still satisfied the electorate and made it more difficult for current senators to object.

Then again, Pita or someone in his entourage must surely have been aware that he held these media shares and that this could only result in instant disqualification whether or not the company was in fact broadcasting. After all this has had happened before. Why they were not sold prior to his submitting his eligibiliity papers is surely a mystery, but one that will I'm certain have voters out on the streets again. And if that gets ugly, just stand by and wait for the next military coup.

I think partly it's because no one raised any objections previously with respect to the media shares. After all he's been an MP since the last election so no one cared about it when he was an ordinary MP. I suspect that he probably didn't think much about it since the company has been defunct for years and his shares are so few, etc. But I agree that I had the same thoughts. It does somewhat point out the inexperience of the party though.

3 hours ago, fedssocr said:

I agree that I had the same thoughts. It does somewhat point out the inexperience of the party though.

Unfortunately I think it also reflects somewhat badly on Khun Pita. Everyone in the elite and in politics knows exactly what happened with Thaksin's share scandal and how he could never have been Prime Minister without substantial bribes to at least some of the members of the Constitutional Court. The fact is he lied on his paperwork, he lied to the media about his shareholding and he should have been booted out of parliament. But he was also aware that his fortune would only be infinitesimally reduced to pay off the Court members. There was also more recently another parliamentarian (I'm sorry I can recall neither the name nor the party) who was disqualified for virtually the same reason. Khun Pita knew the rules and if he had really wanted to become PM, he would have had a group of his close associates go through all his past history to ensure this shares nonsense was not allowed to happen. Of course, had it not been for the shares debacle, the Constitutional Court would have found some other reason. But through his inaction he has more or less guaranteed more street demonstrations and perhaps in due course yet another army coup.

9 hours ago, fedssocr said:

exactly, they would have  found a reason like the ridiculous notion about amending 112 somehow being a threat to the constitution and democracy

There is a rumour that a deal is being done, involving Anutin, to freeze out MFP. 

was that part of the whole UK football game meeting? Or the Dubai meeting with Tony? After saying they would never join with parties from the former junta coalition they will get a good bit of blowback. Ultimately it's going to be difficult to get much done. I thought the PT candidate said they wouldn't ditch MFP. I guess we'll find out soon enough.