Keithambrose

Thaksin - Pardon

From Thai PBS World

Thaksin submits application for royal clemency

Convicted former prime minister Ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who recently began serving an 8-year prison term and is currently receiving medical treatment in the Police General Hospital in Bangkok, has already submitted a petition for royal clemency.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said today (Thursday) that he has already received the request and will examine the details before forwarding it to the prime minister.

Wissanu added that he does not know if it will be handled by this administration or the next. Procedurally, a prime minister will forward such petitions to the King.

On August 28, however, the Thai Pakdee party submitted a petition to Corrections Department’s director general, opposing any attempt by Thaksin to seek a royal pardon.

Anand Sakorncharoen, treasurer of Thai Pakdee, said that, the petition is based on the fact that Thaksin has four convictions for corruption, which gravely damaged the country’s governance and reputation.

“Thaksin also evaded punishment for long time by fleeing abroad, clearly showing that he does not respect the country’s justice system. “Therefore, Thaksin’s petition for a royal pardon would “bother” the King,” Anand said.

Thaksin’s petition, if granted, would be unjust and emphasise legal and social inequality in the country, he said. It would also confirm the axiom that, in Thailand, prison is just for the poor.

Furthermore, the party noted that there are two pending charges against Thaksin in court, so Thaksin should be tried on those charges before being able to seek Royal clemency.

4 hours ago, reader said:

Thaksin’s petition, if granted, would be unjust and emphasise legal and social inequality in the country, he said. It would also confirm the axiom that, in Thailand, prison is just for the poor.

isn't it  a case anyways? 

2 hours ago, TMax said:

Gee why am I not surprised by that? I think quite a lot of people could see that coming from miles away.  

of course, it's as surprising that tomorrow is Saturday if only because toady is Friday. Otherwise why he would bother with returning ? If he indeed misses his grandchildren they could visit him in say  Phnom Penh or Poipet of all places

All of this affair is only a fake show to the Thai people,  Taksin will pretend that he's seriously ill and miserable and the king as a mercy act will give him a royal clemency, but to not make it suspiciously planed in advance he will stay in the hospital for couple of months before his final release. 

As I said, I'm sure it's all been carefully planned in advance. Interesting though that the the generals agree with a pardon. I am assuming they do, as otherwise it would not be possible to go through with it. Mind you Thaksin is a very wealthy man!

Any betting on further early release in health grounds?

Anyone remember Ernest Saunders, known as Deadly Ernest, one of the Guinness 4, who was released from prison early, as he was said to have Alzheimer's? He is the only person known to have made a miraculous recovery once released! What odds for the same thing here!