reader

Cambodia’s newest and biggest airport opens in Siem Reap

From CNN

Cambodia’s newest and biggest airport opened to commercial operations in the province of Siem Reap in the country’s northwest this week.

The China-funded Siem Reap-Angkor International Airport is now the main gateway to one of the country’s most popular tourist sites, the UNESCO-listed Angkor Archaeological Complex. On Monday morning, a flight operated by Thailand’s Bangkok Airways was the first to land at the new airport, which is located about 40 kilometers (25 miles) away from the protected area.

Using the International Air Transport Association-designated code SAI, it replaces Siem Reap International Airport (REP), which first opened in 1932 and is only a few kilometers away from the Angkor complex.

The new airport, funded by China as part of its Belt and Road Initiative at a cost of about $1.1 billion, was designed to initially handle 7 million passengers a year – 2 million more than REP – and has a 3,600-meter-long runway.

According to the Economic and Commercial Office of the Chinese Embassy in Cambodia, it’s the first overseas international airport to be constructed under a “Build-Operate-Transfer” model by Chinese enterprises and is operated and managed by the Yunnan Aviation Industry Investment Group. Designated a “4E airport,” it can accommodate larger commercial planes, including many of those used on global long-haul routes.

image.jpeg.744ce54aa004f8bdee8ee9e8f92fa2d6.jpeg

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

I got a word somebody may try this airport very soon so I will try to extract some information 

Thanks. I will also ask my hotel, as they pick guests up from airport, or they did!

I went there in 2014. Such a beautiful place and the people were so friendly. The temple complex there is absolutely stunning. I stayed in a 5 star hotel with great food and an amazing swimming pool and it was cheaper than all the other countries I visited in South East Asia during the trip.  

I met with a young cute local guy on my last day. I had to get rid of my straight best friend who I was sharing a room with.

The Cambodian guy was so nice and polite. He was a bottom and eager to please. He had a relatively big ass, which I like and he didn’t ask me for money. I did give him some anyway as I was leaving the next day for Vietnam. He said no to money several times but he took it in the end. 

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

I was told today transfer to city is 35$ , 5 times price of transfer from old location. Not sure it's taxi or bus though

Typical! Won't worry the Chinese, as they all get taken in on Chinese owned coaches. $35, is a hell of a lot for a place where beer us $1! 

6 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Typical! Won't worry the Chinese, as they all get taken in on Chinese owned coaches. $35, is a hell of a lot for a place where beer us $1! 

Speaking about beer, while there try new Hanuman one which comes in two varieties, blue and black with black being darker and stronger (and my favorite ) When I was there year go if was talk of the country and on more than one occasion  I was asked if I already tried it. When back in January , there was even shortage of black ones in Phnom Penh.

I agree , 35$ is screaming murder

10 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

Hanuman is the monkey god, I think? Not sure how that affects the beer! I was attracted by another beer which had a charming name!

correct, beer is delicious and Hanuman, the money god  is gracing it's bottles and cans which are itself very attractive

16 hours ago, vinapu said:

I agree , 35$ is screaming murder

Corruption!

London Heathrow to Paddington in town is $30. From the low cost carrier airport Stanstead it is $28. The Arlanda Express in Stockholm in $29. But these seem to be by far the highest. Even Tokyo's Narita Express is just $20 for an 80 km ride and it has remained that price for years.

9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Corruption!

London Heathrow to Paddington in town is $30. From the low cost carrier airport Stanstead it is $28. The Arlanda Express in Stockholm in $29. But these seem to be by far the highest. Even Tokyo's Narita Express is just $20 for an 80 km ride and it has remained that price for years.

not disputing but I think you compare prices of trains to taxi in SR. No way you can travel by taxi to Paddington for $ 30 from LHR, 30 gold bars perhaps yes

On 10/22/2023 at 6:27 PM, vinapu said:

not disputing but I think you compare prices of trains to taxi in SR. No way you can travel by taxi to Paddington for $ 30 from LHR, 30 gold bars perhaps yes

The official TFL site quotes taxi fares £56.00 - £105.00 (plus Heathrow surcharge £3.60) for a black cab from Heathrow to Paddington. That's about 15 miles.

By Elizabeth Line train it's £12.30, by Heathrow Express £25.

Stansted to Paddington is nearer 50 miles and minicab websites quote around £100. The train fare is £25.10.

1 hour ago, thaiophilus said:

The official TFL site quotes taxi fares £56.00 - £105.00 (plus Heathrow surcharge £3.60) for a black cab from Heathrow to Paddington. That's about 15 miles.

By Elizabeth Line train it's £12.30, by Heathrow Express £25.

Stansted to Paddington is nearer 50 miles and minicab websites quote around £100. The train fare is £25.10.

I'm afraid that's right about black cab fares. If you are going to the airport there is the additional £5 drop off fee. Cheapest way, though also slowest, is Piccadilly line which goes through the centre of London. Heathrow express is a rip off!

I got confirmation  that 35$ fare from new Siem Reap airport to the city was for a car. Still screaming murder.

Apparently there are some ads quoiting 12.5 $=50000 riles for shared taxi ride.

this is much more reasonable although still plenty for Cambodia. Hopefully sooner or later it will be regular bus although who knows ?