reader

Chinese cops to patrol in Thailand?

2 hours ago, reader said:

The recent announcement by the government of new Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin that it is considering inviting Chinese police officers to help patrol tourist hotspots in Thailand has sparked a wave of concern and debate.

What a nonsensical idea, it's so stupid that I suspect something must be lost in translation. So which law those Chinese cops would follow - Chinese or Thai ? And if say, some ladyboy snatches wallet from Chinese tourist will they be able to arrest Thai on Thai territory ? What about if thief will be some foreigner ? 

Just ironing such practicalities will be extremely complex, thus  impossible without even going into biggies like sovereignty

Given that China's century of humiliation included other countries being permitted to have their own nations' cops in quite a few Chinese cities (as well as their own laws, it should be added), I'm surprised it would even consider starting along the same road. And that's before we get down to the nitty gritty of forced deportations!

If cops from mainland China are on the streets of Thailand, I can see the number of tourists from Taiwan and Hong Kong dropping very considerably.

• Members
2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I can see the number of tourists from Taiwan and Hong Kong dropping very considerably.

Agreed.  I'm not sure that tourists from mainland China, looking for a relaxing holiday abroad, would appreciate Chinese police looking over their shoulder & supervising their activities in Thailand.  More 'limp spaghetti' diplomacy than bamboo!

From BangkokPost

Police chief denies request for Chinese police patrols

National police chief Pol Gen Torsak Sukwimol has denied that Thai police sought Chinese counterparts' patrols in the country, saying that would raise security issues.

Pol Gen Torsak voiced his stance on Monday in response to earlier reports that authorities planned to invite Chinese police to patrol in popular tourist areas to boost confidence among Chinese visitors who formed a major source of tourism-related income.

The national police chief said the Royal Thai Police Office did not make the proposal and he thought there was a misunderstanding on the issue.

At least 6 more secret Chinese police stations in US, says report 

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/04/at-least-6-more-secret-chinese-police-stations-in-us-says-report/

There are multiple Chinese “police stations” operating in cities across the U.S., according to an investigative group who exposed the stations after the FBI arrested two people in connection with one of the operations this week.

The not-for-profit organization Safeguard Defenders said there is an additional station in New York City, one in Los Angeles, and other operations in San Francisco, Houston, and cities in Nebraska and Minnesota, the New York Post reported.

It was not clear from the reporting how many of the alleged police stations were in each location.

“We found at least four listed in the U.S. by PRC [People’s Republic of China] public security authorities, plus flagged an additional four overseas Chinese service centers in the US set up by the UFWD networks responsible for manning the stations,” a spokeswoman for Safeguard Defenders said Tuesday.

The spokeswoman referred to the United Front Work Department, an arm of the Chinese Communist Party linked to the overseas police stations, according to previous reports from Safeguard Defenders.

Safeguard Defenders has documented more than 100 of the outposts in dozens of countries, and officials are increasingly worried about them as a way for China to spy and keep tabs on its people abroad. 

6 hours ago, PeterRS said:

If cops from mainland China are on the streets of Thailand, I can see the number of tourists from Taiwan and Hong Kong dropping very considerably.

Excellent point about Taiwanese. It won't be long before we would see tittles "Taiwanese tourist abducted and taken to China by Chinese cops on mission on Pattaya's Beach Rd"

Hongkongers are already in so probably not that much concern.

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

Hongkongers are already in so probably not that much concern.

Sadly not entirely true. Hong Kong residents have been kidnapped when en route to Taiwan and even here in Thailand. Granted, only a few, but one bookseller in 2015 was sentenced by a Chinese court to 10 years in jail. 

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

Sadly not entirely true. 

what I meant by saying 'Hongkongers are already in' was that they are already under heavy hand of Chinese law enforcement so presence of Chinese cops in Thailand would not scare them more , they are scared enough. Taiwanese are different story as they still breathe freely.

From Thai PBS World

The concept of having Chinese police patrol with Thai counterparts in Thailand has met with a mixed reaction with those in Pattaya expressing support.

Rumpueng ‘Lisa’ Hamilton, president of the Pattaya Night Business Association, said that she agrees with the idea, as she believes that it would build up confidence for Chinese tourists in terms of safety.

“When I talk to my Chinese friends, they express concern about their safety and possible conflicts with Thai police while visiting Thailand. Thai police might group them together with other Chinese who are involved in illegal activities in Thailand,” Rumpueng said.

She believes that the presence of Chinese police would help clear up possible misunderstandings and suppress the illegal activities by the Chinese.

Meanwhile Jitsupa Prajongbua, a Thai tour guide, said that it would give the Chinese tourists more confidence in their safety, adding “I am confident that more Chinese tourists will visit Thailand if the concept is implemented.”

In the Huay Kwang area of Bangkok, which is crowded with Chinese tourists, one said that the Chinese community seems to welcome the concept.

“My opinion is that Thai police have not yet provided enough safety for us. If Chinese police can join the team, I feel that it would certainly increase our confidence in living our lives. In case of emergency, the communication will be easy. The Chinese police will certainly provide immediate assistance.”

Sakkasit Mungkarn, advisor to the Tourism Council in Trat province, disagrees, saying “Trat, a border province, already has tourist, local and border police to help provide security and safety. We are confident that they have the capabilities to handle the matters.”
===========

From The Nation

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on Monday denied media reports that the government will allow Chinese police to patrol tourist cities in the kingdom to boost confidence among Chinese visitors.

“Please be fair to me. I never said I would bring Chinese police to Thailand,” Srettha told reporters after landing in San Fransico for the APEC Summit on Monday.

“Who would give such an order?”

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Thapanee Kiatphaibool proposed the move in a press interview on Sunday. Thai police representatives doubled down by saying Chinese police could work alongside Thai police to combat Chinese criminals preying on visitors from China.

However, Srettha insisted that Thai streets would only be patrolled by Thai police. He added that Thai authorities will instead share information with Chinese police to prevent crimes and strengthen visitors’ confidence.

=======

From Pattaya Mail

By  Barry Kenyon

The informal suggestion of premier Srettha Thavisin that joint patrols of Chinese and Thai police might appear in tourist areas has gone down like a lead balloon. Although the Tourist Authority of Thailand voiced support on the grounds that Chinese tourists would feel safer, the national police chief, police general Torsak Sukwimol, has now publicly condemned the notion arguing that there may be some confusion. That is certainly true.

The joint patrol idea is not entirely new and was adopted by a handful of countries, including Italy and Croatia, before the pandemic. It appears to have been welcomed by Chinese tourists as a safety measure for their benefit, but the Italian government cancelled the contract in 2019. The apparent fear was that cooperation was a cover for secret Chinese police stations, said to operate covertly in 54 countries, keeping watch on Chinese mafias and monitoring regime dissidents.

Thai social media, including sites favoured by foreigners, appear to be 99 percent against the idea. One British contributor pointed out that whilst there was a shortage of Chinese speakers in Italy, this was not so in Thailand. For example, the Thai tourist police volunteers have many Chinese language users who already act as translators. Other criticisms centered around Thailand loss of independence or even sovereignty, arguing that the proposal made Thailand look unable to direct its own affairs. Facebook users seemed unanimous that “you couldn’t make this stuff up”.

Although many countries have plain clothes police operating in Thailand, usually via embassies or Interpol or by invitation, joint patrols in uniform appear to be a step too far for public consumption. Some estimates even predict that Indian arrivals could outpace Chinese by 2025, with Russians not far behind, which raise the issue where the scheme might stop. But in view of the hostile reaction, you have likely heard the last of this particular marketing plan. The boys in brown won’t be accompanied by the men in black.