dscrtsldnbi

Thailand is set to REVERSE weed legalization after spike in cannabis-related mental health issues and crime - with government calling pot 'a big problem'

Thailand is set to REVERSE weed legalization after spike in cannabis-related mental health issues and crime - with government calling pot 'a big problem'

By Luke Andrews Health Reporter For Dailymail.Com 18:31 GMT 13 Feb 2024 , updated 20:18 GMT 13 Feb 2024

Thailand is set to outlaw weed again just 18 months after the country decriminalized the drug.

The major U-turn follows a spike in hospital admissions and crime linked to cannabis, as well as the perception that children are getting hooked too easily.

Since June 2022, when marijuana was dropped as a controlled substance, hospitalizations for cannabis-induced psychological problems have doubled to 63,000 patients per year, while reports of drug-fueled violence and abuse have also risen.

Thailand became the first country in the Asia to legalize marijuana in 2019, when the Bhumjaithai party promised it would be a boon to crop farmers in the north.

But the decriminalization has given rise to a large un-regulated black market. Data shows more than 6,000 shops have sprouted in the country, many without licenses. 

There has also been a boom in tourists visiting the country to use marijuana recreationally, helping to fund cannabis-themed cafes and hemp spas.

In response, the country's Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has named weed a 'big problem' and vowed to take action — after being elected in August 2023.

Top officials are now proposing a bill that would make using cannabis 'for entertainment or pleasure' a crime punishable with a $1,700 fine (60,000 baht) and possibly a jail sentence of up to one year.

Last week, the country's health minister Chonlanan Srikaew revealed he had recommended a draft bill that would ban recreational cannabis.

'We drafted this law to prohibit the wrong usage of cannabis,' health minister Srikaew said previously.

'All recreational use is wrong.'

It comes as the US faces similar problems, with thousands of weed shops — many unregulated — springing up in many major cities amid reports of spikes in psychological problems and addiction among youths. 

In Thailand, it is already illegal to smoke weed in public, which carries a fine of $700 (25,000 baht).

Data shows that among those aged 20 to 29, the proportion using weed more than tripled from one percent to three percent by 2021 — before regulations were eased. This figure is now likely to be much higher, officials say.

Data from the country's health ministry shows the number of Thais seeking treatment for medical issues jumped from 37,000 in 2022 to as many as 63,000 in 2023, a rise of more than 70 percent.

There are also anecdotal reports of rising crime rates and spikes in drug-related violence.

The Thai bill will need to be approved by Cabinet, voted through by Parliament and signed by the country's king Maha Vajiralongkorn before it becomes law. But it already enjoys broad support across the country's political parties. 

A total of 24 US states have now legalized marijuana for recreational use, with red-leaning Ohio becoming the latest in November last year.

No state has reversed legalization yet, but there has been a shift in the public mood — with Americans in many states now voting down measures to legalize recreational cannabis.

This included Oklahoma, which rejected the proposal in March last year despite cannabis companies spending more than $4.9million on advertizing.

The US federal Government is currently considering reducing marijuana to Schedule III substance — on a par with steroids, ketamine and testosterone. At present, it is regulated as a Schedule I substance — on the same level as heroin, ecstasy and LSD which are drugs deemed to have a high likelihood of abuse and no medical uses.

Thailand dropped cannabis from its list of controlled substances in June 2022 — instead labeling it as a 'controlled herb'.

This allowed for locals to grow and trade marijuana and hemp products as long as they had a license.

The move was aimed at providing poor farmers in the north with a new cash crop, as they traditionally rely on rubber and rice which have low value.

But it has been poorly regulated — leading to an explosion of weed shops across the country.

Cities like Chiang Mai and the capital Bangkok now even hold weed festivals — while tourists from nearby countries where the drug is illegal, like Japan and Singapore, have started to visit in droves.

The drug was legal to sell only to those over 20 years old and who were not pregnant or were not trying to purchase the drug online — and who were using it for medical purposes.

'Kitty' Chopaka, a Thai cannabis rights activist, told NPR: 'You can go ask any Thai on the side of the road, going like, what do you think about medical cannabis? Everyone will go, this is great, fully support it.

'But then if you go into — what about sales, what about recreational use? There's still a — we're not so sure.'

The Biden administration's Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has asked the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to downgrade cannabis from a Schedule I substance to a Schedule III substance
+8
View gallery

The Biden administration's Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has asked the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to downgrade cannabis from a Schedule I substance to a Schedule III substance

Marijuana was previously lauded for its benefits for pain relief and anxiety treatment, with many insisting it was not addictive. 

But the drug is now stronger than it has ever been, with higher levels of THC — the psychoactive chemical in the drug — which experts say flood the brain with feel-good chemicals and trigger addiction.

Many have also started to take the drug daily, triggering addiction and dependence that is not easily shaken.

Previous studies have already linked marijuana to schizophrenia, psychosis and depression.

Some have also suggested that it permanently changes the brains of young adults who use the drug — with the brain not maturing until someone reaches their late 20s.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13078737/thailand-weed-legalization-rise-cannabis-crime.html

18 hours ago, dscrtsldnbi said:

By Luke Andrews Health Reporter For Dailymail.Com 18:31 GMT 13 Feb 2024 , updated 20:18 GMT 13 Feb 2024

Thailand is set to outlaw weed again just 18 months after the country decriminalized the drug.

The major U-turn follows a spike in hospital admissions and crime linked to cannabis, as well as the perception that children are getting hooked too easily.

Since June 2022, when marijuana was dropped as a controlled substance, hospitalizations for cannabis-induced psychological problems have doubled to 63,000 patients per year, while reports of drug-fueled violence and abuse have also risen.

Thailand became the first country in the Asia to legalize marijuana in 2019, when the Bhumjaithai party promised it would be a boon to crop farmers in the north.

But the decriminalization has given rise to a large un-regulated black market. Data shows more than 6,000 shops have sprouted in the country, many without licenses. 

There has also been a boom in tourists visiting the country to use marijuana recreationally, helping to fund cannabis-themed cafes and hemp spas.

In response, the country's Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has named weed a 'big problem' and vowed to take action — after being elected in August 2023.

Top officials are now proposing a bill that would make using cannabis 'for entertainment or pleasure' a crime punishable with a $1,700 fine (60,000 baht) and possibly a jail sentence of up to one year.

Last week, the country's health minister Chonlanan Srikaew revealed he had recommended a draft bill that would ban recreational cannabis.

'We drafted this law to prohibit the wrong usage of cannabis,' health minister Srikaew said previously.

'All recreational use is wrong.'

It comes as the US faces similar problems, with thousands of weed shops — many unregulated — springing up in many major cities amid reports of spikes in psychological problems and addiction among youths. 

In Thailand, it is already illegal to smoke weed in public, which carries a fine of $700 (25,000 baht).

Data shows that among those aged 20 to 29, the proportion using weed more than tripled from one percent to three percent by 2021 — before regulations were eased. This figure is now likely to be much higher, officials say.

Data from the country's health ministry shows the number of Thais seeking treatment for medical issues jumped from 37,000 in 2022 to as many as 63,000 in 2023, a rise of more than 70 percent.

There are also anecdotal reports of rising crime rates and spikes in drug-related violence.

The Thai bill will need to be approved by Cabinet, voted through by Parliament and signed by the country's king Maha Vajiralongkorn before it becomes law. But it already enjoys broad support across the country's political parties. 

A total of 24 US states have now legalized marijuana for recreational use, with red-leaning Ohio becoming the latest in November last year.

No state has reversed legalization yet, but there has been a shift in the public mood — with Americans in many states now voting down measures to legalize recreational cannabis.

This included Oklahoma, which rejected the proposal in March last year despite cannabis companies spending more than $4.9million on advertizing.

The US federal Government is currently considering reducing marijuana to Schedule III substance — on a par with steroids, ketamine and testosterone. At present, it is regulated as a Schedule I substance — on the same level as heroin, ecstasy and LSD which are drugs deemed to have a high likelihood of abuse and no medical uses.

Thailand dropped cannabis from its list of controlled substances in June 2022 — instead labeling it as a 'controlled herb'.

This allowed for locals to grow and trade marijuana and hemp products as long as they had a license.

The move was aimed at providing poor farmers in the north with a new cash crop, as they traditionally rely on rubber and rice which have low value.

But it has been poorly regulated — leading to an explosion of weed shops across the country.

Cities like Chiang Mai and the capital Bangkok now even hold weed festivals — while tourists from nearby countries where the drug is illegal, like Japan and Singapore, have started to visit in droves.

The drug was legal to sell only to those over 20 years old and who were not pregnant or were not trying to purchase the drug online — and who were using it for medical purposes.

'Kitty' Chopaka, a Thai cannabis rights activist, told NPR: 'You can go ask any Thai on the side of the road, going like, what do you think about medical cannabis? Everyone will go, this is great, fully support it.

'But then if you go into — what about sales, what about recreational use? There's still a — we're not so sure.'

+8
View gallery

Marijuana was previously lauded for its benefits for pain relief and anxiety treatment, with many insisting it was not addictive. 

But the drug is now stronger than it has ever been, with higher levels of THC — the psychoactive chemical in the drug — which experts say flood the brain with feel-good chemicals and trigger addiction.

Many have also started to take the drug daily, triggering addiction and dependence that is not easily shaken.

Previous studies have already linked marijuana to schizophrenia, psychosis and depression.

Some have also suggested that it permanently changes the brains of young adults who use the drug — with the brain not maturing until someone reaches their late 20s.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13078737/thailand-weed-legalization-rise-cannabis-crime.html

Talking about permanently changing the brains of young adults, how about banning social media?

6 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

Talking about permanently changing the brains of young adults, how about banning social media?

not sure it's only young adults. At end of 2023 I was on the trip  with friend whose absolutely first thing after entering hotel room, restaurant and any other place with free wi-fi was to check what's  new on his media. I was amazed but at the same time happy - no lineup to the washroom. 

8 minutes ago, vinapu said:

not sure it's only young adults. At end of 2023 I was on the trip  with friend whose absolutely first thing after entering hotel room, restaurant and any other place with free wi-fi was to check what's  new on his media. I was amazed but at the same time happy - no lineup to the washroom. 

It's something of a novelty  to see someone reading a book, let alone a young person. 

Lately I was very surprised when I had a meeting with my students. Normally they bring their computers/tablets/handy in those meetings and are doing something online during the meetings. This time I was the only one with a computer, all of them were writing their notes on paper and were quite were present and focused.

So, there is hope...

5 hours ago, siriusBE said:

Lately I was very surprised when I had a meeting with my students. Normally they bring their computers/tablets/handy in those meetings and are doing something online during the meetings. This time I was the only one with a computer, all of them were writing their notes on paper and were quite were present and focused.

So, there is hope...

That's good news. On a related issue, my brother in law, who is a science professor, recently marked the first essays from his new students. They were all failed. It sees that none of them had ever written an essay at school! All multiple choice questions. These were students who had done science A levels at school. 

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

That's good news. On a related issue, my brother in law, who is a science professor, recently marked the first essays from his new students. They were all failed. It sees that none of them had ever written an essay at school! All multiple choice questions. These were students who had done science A levels at school. 

while not questioning your and professor's findings I's like to bring to your and everybody else's attention fact that those youngsters will be paying us a pensions and placing us in nursing homes they will run so be nice to them. 

I,  being also of proper age,  remember when we kids start switching to ball pens from ordinary , ink feeded ones , that was supposed to crook both of our characters and our limbs, we were supposed to get blind from watching 'Bonanza ' on TV, using make up was sure thing to turn our classmates girls tnto hookers and other horrors which never materialized. It was neatly summarized by my godmother who commented when I was about 30 ' I was thinking big zero will  grow of you but now look !" .

Travelling on underground recently I noticed that it was mostly  younger people who were immersed in paperbacks and newspapers while us oldies were exclusively on our phones, fact that was also noticed and commented but soccer-mom type lady standing beside . 

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

while not questioning your and professor's findings I's like to bring to your and everybody else's attention fact that those youngsters will be paying us a pensions and placing us in nursing homes they will run so be nice to them. 

I,  being also of proper age,  remember when we kids start switching to ball pens from ordinary , ink feeded ones , that was supposed to crook both of our characters and our limbs, we were supposed to get blind from watching 'Bonanza ' on TV, using make up was sure thing to turn our classmates girls tnto hookers and other horrors which never materialized. It was neatly summarized by my godmother who commented when I was about 30 ' I was thinking big zero will  grow of you but now look !" .

Travelling on underground recently I noticed that it was mostly  younger people who were immersed in paperbacks and newspapers while us oldies were exclusively on our phones, fact that was also noticed and commented but soccer-mom type lady standing beside . 

Well, perhaps there is hope! On my underground train today back from airport, there was one book reader, and he was young! I have a friend who is a retired Professor at the University of Toronto.  She intends to self publish a book of all the howlers that her students impressed her with over the years.  I know it's easy to do, but she said she depaired of the last generation  she taught.

46 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

A related issue. I ate last night in a nice Tuscan restaurant in Florence.  2 tables were occupied by similar families, mother, father, 3yr old daughter.  Both followed same procedure,  install screen in front of child in high chair, and turn on. Quite noisy actually. Then parents got out their phones, and happily browsed, without talking to their child, or, hardly, to each other....

that is sad but very common part of living in 21st century