donJ

Cartagena & Barranquilla

Whats up fellas

First time posting here. Im visiting Cartagena & Barranquilla in a couple months, and even tho I dont play the same sport, I though some people here might have experience having gone out in other of these cities & what its like, any advice or stories or recs. Im 32 & i am visiting with a female friend so ill have to be adventuring out on my own. If you have anything to share please do

all the best

• Members

Santa Marta is indeed a great place. Don't forget to visit Tayrona national park and Minca.  Tayrona takes at least 2 days, but Minca can be done with a motor guy in 1 day. In Minca you can go there with a car or taxi, but travel around Minca is with motor. Roads are bad, and it is very mountanius place. Forget about Baranquilla, it is not turist place, but all the boys come from there. 

Cartagena is a nice place. the best beaches are out of town. usually on a small island.  a lot of history, excellent food and music places. Boys are more expensive in Cartagena because there is a lot of tourists.

Tayrona has a nude beach which is a gay beach and when I was there, the only 4 naked guys parading around joined forces and marched to the bushes nearby 😀. I was there with a friend and did not join. Easy to get there, its the next beach to the beach with a tower. It was huge and basically empty. 
I heard they have a good gay dance club in Baranquilla. Santa Marta is ok for transiting for various places including Tayrona, but itself not overly interesting. Its developed for tourists and has hotels, food, drinks and music.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:38 AM, Boy69 said:

If you can skip Barranquilla and go to Santan Marta instead it's better, this place has much more to offer than Barranquilla.

I think its just a little too far, doesnt have as many international flights either, Barranquilla is easy to fly out of & reach from CTG. Im also considering just adding an extra day & flying down to Bogota instead for 3 nights because i think a lot of the nightlife in bq will be closed early in the week

21 hours ago, macdaddi said:

Re-reading original post, sounds like trip to Baranquilla is set already.  Happy to share some notes on the nightlife scene there. It is a large city so there is a thriving scene to be certain.

the flight isnt booked, just a cancel-able hotel. Id appreciate any insights, as I just wrote in another reply im thinking of flying us to Bogota instead and adding an extra night, because it seems early in the week will be quiet in Quilla, but also to get to see a different side of Colombia outside the caribbean. But im open to all possibilities, if youre willing to share

On 3/10/2024 at 10:53 AM, Tomtravel said:

Tayrona has a nude beach which is a gay beach and when I was there, the only 4 naked guys parading around joined forces and marched to the bushes nearby 😀. I was there with a friend and did not join. Easy to get there, its the next beach to the beach with a tower. It was huge and basically empty. 
I heard they have a good gay dance club in Baranquilla. Santa Marta is ok for transiting for various places including Tayrona, but itself not overly interesting. Its developed for tourists and has hotels, food, drinks and music.

Yeah i have a lot of friends from Colombia, mostly from Medellin, some from Bogota, & a couple suggested Tayrona but I think its too far for this trip since we'll mostly be based out of ctg and not bq, & frankly i dont feel motivated enough haha. The beaches look beautiful, & that sounds hot, but I can find plenty of beach action in the summer in new england

On 3/10/2024 at 10:02 AM, macdaddi said:

In Cartagena, you have to remember that this is really three cities -- the old Walled city and next-door Getsemani, the Hotels along the water in Bocagrande and the suburban outpost of El Castillo, and the main city of Cartagena proper (including the Manga neighbourhood).

You want to spend time in the Walled City, walk around and soak in the ambience. Grab a drink at Cafe del Mar and watch the sun set.  Visit Gabriel Garcia Marquez's former home.  Have lunch by the pool at the Santa Clara hotel (a former monastery).  Explore the graffiti covered streets of Getsemani and walk under the hanging umbrellas that protect you from the sun.

As others have pointed out, the beaches along Bocagrande are not great. The best beach is in El Castillo next to the Hilton hotel. It is a public beach so feel free to set up there. Otherwise, you can grab a day charter from Muelle de la Bodegita where dozens of companies will sell you packages for day trips to Cholón (over priced but popular), Playa Blanca and Barú.  There are tons of shops, restaurants and smaller bars in Bocagrande-El Castillo, which becomes very lively in the evening.

You are definitely going to want to go out at least once. There are dozens of rooftop bars/clubs in the walled city. The best known are Alquímico, Tsunami, and Ajeno.  The scene at Donde Fidel (on the street across from the Hard Rock) is fun and you will get different entertainment looking for tips.

As far as Baranquilla goes, it is not well developed for tourism. It actually came into existence because of its location on the Magdelana river so it has extensive history and interesting culture.  Unless you are very comfortable with the language and know some locals, there is little to see and do outside of Carnaval each year.  The suggestions to explore Tayrona and Santa Marta are good ones since both are relatively close.  You may also want to just spend more time exploring the many sites around Cartagena such as El Tutumo (mud volcano -- fun half day outing), see the flamingos at the Avario nacional de Barú, swim with photoplankton at night in Barú, learn about AfroColombian culture with a day trip to San Basilio del Palenque, or tour the mangroves outside Cartagena.  There are many other options to see - do so I encourage you to keep exploring the many possibilities for your trip here.  Enjoy your time in Colombia.

Thank you for this! Im taking down some of these suggestions. Definitely we will be going out, probably almost every single night...im insatiable. It seems like a majority of the (few) clubs, bars, discos are outside the walled city/Getsemani area though, I wonder if anyone here has any experience with those recently? Some are not too far, & other in the heart of the city. Gabanna, avatar, geminis...so unless theyre ok to uber to door to door that will suck. But i dont have to go to a gay club every night to have fun.

Thats also why im curious to visit Mompox, a little leisure, plus i think its good to get out of the cities when traveling somewhere new...less stress...less money...less pressure, and u really get to know a place in a different way. Any experience there?

My spanish is very good. I dont know any locals though, anyone I know in Colombia would be in the greater Medellin area. In many parts of the world & here at home I have a look that passes for many things, not sure id be as passable in CTG though.

• Members

I will be in Cartagena next week (Mat 20) and can update you then. Spending a few days witth friends before winding down in the islands for some vacation. 
I can ask for specific updates, you may want to take a look at my club report (pre-Gemini) on the Cartagena scene. Can answer specific questions about Gabannna (I walkfrom Getsemani but can understand why others would not) City Club, and Aventura. 

• Members
7 hours ago, donJ said:

but also to get to see a different side of Colombia outside the caribbean. 

Mompóx is one of my favourites, but a long trip by car. Feel free to DM me and I can discuss — have driven down to Mompóx from Cartagena and from Tolú. 

If you want something different, I suspect you would enjoy Bogotá scene over Medellin simply because Bogotá is in your face while Medellin takes a bit to figure out. Just pack for cooler nights.

i have been spending my winters here in Medellin for the past 7 years (here now) so feel free to send me specific questions and I will try to answer quickly. 

31 minutes ago, macdaddi said:

I will be in Cartagena next week (Mat 20) and can update you then. Spending a few days witth friends before winding down in the islands for some vacation. 
I can ask for specific updates, you may want to take a look at my club report (pre-Gemini) on the Cartagena scene. Can answer specific questions about Gabannna (I walkfrom Getsemani but can understand why others would not) City Club, and Aventura. 

That would be great🙏 I know im asking for a lot of info but still trying to work out the trip, and ive never been to the country. Other people have told me not to leave the tourist neighborhoods whatsoever, but if you can be realistic with me about getting safely to & from (whether walking, uber, etc.) to those clubs lmk, I kinda get the gist of what they each offer, tho ill scope out what best times/days are good for each.

23 minutes ago, macdaddi said:

Mompóx is one of my favourites, but a long trip by car. Feel free to DM me and I can discuss — have driven down to Mompóx from Cartagena and from Tolú. 

If you want something different, I suspect you would enjoy Bogotá scene over Medellin simply because Bogotá is in your face while Medellin takes a bit to figure out. Just pack for cooler nights.

i have been spending my winters here in Medellin for the past 7 years (here now) so feel free to send me specific questions and I will try to answer quickly. 

Thank u i will send u a DM