reader

New rules require fight refunds

From CNN

Airline canceled your flight? The plane arrived hours late after a maintenance issue? The inflight Wi-Fi didn’t work?

New federal rules say travelers deserve cash refunds when inconvenienced by their airline – not vouchers or travel credits.

The rules, announced by the Transportation Department on Wednesday, also require airlines to provide upfront information about fees for baggage and changing flights.

Although many airlines have done away with change fees and disclose fees on their websites, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg estimated more transparency with some airlines and websites would make it easier for travelers to shop around – ultimately saving consumers millions every year.

The rule would formalize a requirement that passengers receive refunds if a domestic flight is delayed by more than three hours or if an international flight is delayed by more than six hours.

It would also require a refund of any baggage fees for bags that arrive more than 12 hours late, and a refund of the fee for a purchased service like Wi-Fi or upgraded seating if the airline doesn’t deliver.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/new-federal-rules-airline-refunds-cash/index.html

1 hour ago, reader said:

From CNN

Airline canceled your flight? The plane arrived hours late after a maintenance issue? The inflight Wi-Fi didn’t work?

New federal rules say travelers deserve cash refunds when inconvenienced by their airline – not vouchers or travel credits.

The rules, announced by the Transportation Department on Wednesday, also require airlines to provide upfront information about fees for baggage and changing flights.

Although many airlines have done away with change fees and disclose fees on their websites, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg estimated more transparency with some airlines and websites would make it easier for travelers to shop around – ultimately saving consumers millions every year.

The rule would formalize a requirement that passengers receive refunds if a domestic flight is delayed by more than three hours or if an international flight is delayed by more than six hours.

It would also require a refund of any baggage fees for bags that arrive more than 12 hours late, and a refund of the fee for a purchased service like Wi-Fi or upgraded seating if the airline doesn’t deliver.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/new-federal-rules-airline-refunds-cash/index.html

Air travel used to be something to look forward to, but today? Sigh. Not just the airlines, but the TSA usually rub me the wrong way here in the USA.

https://youtu.be/QKEdKdgi2hg

1 hour ago, KeepItReal said:

Air travel used to be something to look forward to, but today? Sigh. Not just the airlines, but the TSA usually rub me the wrong way here in the USA.

https://youtu.be/QKEdKdgi2hg

It's immigration  that bugs me as a UK guy. The US is quite behind in using electronic monitoring,  such as we have in the UK. I recently discovered the MPC App, which did speed up my 2 recent entries, but it could be a lot better. I considered  Global Entry, but the procedure,  including an interview in the USA,  is inconvenient.  I have also found that officials still like to throw their weight around, on minor matters, 'stand in line', etc. As you say it all detracts from the experience  of travel. 

1 hour ago, Keithambrose said:

I have also found that officials still like to throw their weight around

Which airports....? Some are much better than others....I try to avoid a bunch of airports, even if it means less convenient connections.

4 hours ago, reader said:

Still not enough....

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Which airports....? Some are much better than others....I try to avoid a bunch of airports, even if it means less convenient connections.

On this trip, La Guardia, American terminal.  Though the (new) terminal itself is very nice. 

By contrast, Champaign Urbana,  5 flights a day, absolutely  charming! Perhaps size matters (pun intended)!

Still not enough....

In the EU, and UK, there are pretty good rules for refunds. I got £500 refund for a delayed American flight. Paid quite promptly. 

19 minutes ago, Keithambrose said:

In the EU, and UK, there are pretty good rules for refunds. I got £500 refund for a delayed American flight. Paid quite promptly. 

It's been like this for years...yet the US, airlines do what they want and blame weather or ATC 

• Members
3 hours ago, floridarob said:

It's been like this for years...yet the US, airlines do what they want and blame weather or ATC 

Will weather or ATC be valid excuses against the refunds? Those do seem out of the airlines' control, unlike "maintenance," a frequently cited non-excuse. However, the weather or ATC excuses, I'd hope, would need to be validated.

The 'devil' is in the details, the fine print of proposed rules that may or not remain unchanged from the proposal being discussed.  And, 'at the end of the day' airlines will simply raise fares / fees to recover whatever revenue they are required to pay out as compensation.  Yes, there will be exceptions such as weather, "acts of God" and things about which the particular airline had on control.

I just came back to The UK, through the 'new' terminal 8 at JFK. This amalgamated BA and American, and other airlines. Perhaps doubling the number of pax. As expected no provision had been made for this increase. And the security line was horrendous. The Fast track, to which I was entitled, had one security person, and a couple of hundred pax. To improve things, TSA approved went through, at the side, and joined the queue in front of us! In 15 mins, I moved 10 feet. Eventually, some of us were directed to to the cattle class line, which had 3 security people. We then all crammed into the lanes for the x-ray machines, only half of which were working! They had the old style, where you had to reach for a box to put your gear in. Absolute chaos, with the usual disinterested  staff. Excellent way to spend an hour at the new flagship terminal!  Contrast this with the new American terminal  at LaGuardia, which is spacious and very nice.

To be fair, at Heathrow,  we landed early, BA, and  then the airbridge did not work!  Eventually  steps were brought. However, despite the crowds, it was 6.45am, straight through   passport control, using the machines!

2 hours ago, Keithambrose said:

And the security line was horrendous. In 15 mins, I moved 10 feet.

Passengers are to be blamed. Instead of sitting home and tending gardens or just watching re-runs on TV they decided to travel inconveniencing airport personnel 

39 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Passengers are to be blamed. Instead of sitting home and tending gardens or just watching re-runs on TV they decided to travel inconveniencing airport personnel 

That's certainly  the impression  airport personnel  give!