1moRussian

advice on Korat / Nakhon Ratchasima

will appreciate your advice on budget and nice accommodation in Korat / Nakhon Ratchasima. Any trip reports? What to do for 2-3 days?

Can face trip to Korat on 25-30 July - as always, unclear farang-thai story :)

not sure I want to stay at his home and be presented to his mother and local friends / and not sure he wants me to stay at his home and be presented to... But it would be interesting to see something beyond Pattaya and Bangkok.

You'll find a good listing of budget hotels, some as low as 450 baht per night, at:  http://www.hotelscombined.com/Place/Nakhon_Ratchasima_1.htm

I've been to Khorat a few times.  There is enough to do to keep you busy for a couple days - city sights, a very good zoo, the city canal at night (plenty of boys to pick up there).

Whenever I've traveled to a young companion's home town, I've learned to let the boy and/or his family be the tour guides.  They know all the places to go, including many interesting places that most of us have probably never heard of.  I wouldn't worry about meeting his family and friends.  You'll most likely be welcomed with open arms.

Ask the boy if, once you get there, he has access to a car or truck you can use to go to all these places.  If he does, then you're all set.  If not, you might want to consider renting a car or hiring a taxi for the day.  You'll be able to see and do much more if you have transportation.  You might even decide to spend more than 2-3 days there.

Also, if possible I highly recommend a stop at the PB Valley Winery in the Khao Yai area on your way back. It's best if you can get there by car.  It's way out in the middle of nowhere, but in a very picturesque area.  If you won't have access to a car, contact them and ask how you can get there.  It's really worth it if you can get there and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  Their tour is very impressive and there is, of course, a wine tasting at the end of the tour.  Some of their wines are truly excellent - not at all like the typical crappy Thai wines.  Don't miss their restaurant.  That too is excellent.  See: http://www.khaoyaiwinery.com

GPS coordinates are:  N 14°, 34', 86', E 101°, 14', 05"

By the way, PB Valley also has a bistro in Bangkok.  See:  http://themanfrommoselriver.com/2012/12/06/pb-valley-wine-tasting-at-the-great-hornbill-bistro-bangkok-thailand/ and http://www.facebook.com/TheGreatHornbill.Bistro

Some of their wines are sold at Villa Market in Pattaya.  My favorite is their Shiraz.

In the West, most of us would be aghast at the idea of bringing our much older male benefactor home to meet

our parents, family, neighbors and friends. What would people think?

It doesn't work that way in rural Thailand. The father, probably younger than the farang will show no disapproval ,

no disgust and probably not say much at all. Everyone will smile a lot and try to make you comfortable.

Our western negativity about homosexuality , vast age differences etal, do not exist in rural Thailand. It's all rather

amazing and one of the beautiful things about Thailand. One forgets all the Western judgements, prejudices, religious

hypocritical bullshit. It's not all paradise of course and the great equalizer is money.

Be prepared to be a sport and buy lots of beer etc.

stay in a hotel and limit first trip to a day or two. Good internet connection or a least a good book, a good idea.

Our western negativity about homosexuality , vast age differences etal, do not exist in rural Thailand. It's all rather

amazing and one of the beautiful things about Thailand. One forgets all the Western judgements, prejudices, religious

hypocritical bullshit. It's not all paradise of course and the great equalizer is money.

You are very right but often in our societies even money is beaten by much stronger prejudices.

Is not only Western disease though , look at Middle Eastern , or Indian subcontinent societies as well.

My theory is that Thais are less uptight about those things because their relaxed attitude to sex, not being sexually repressed makes them relaxed in all life matters.

Our western negativity about homosexuality , vast age differences etal, do not exist in rural Thailand.

Sometimes it does, but if a boy wants to take you to his hometown to meet his family, relatives, neighbors, and friends, chances are very good he wouldn't want to do that if such negativity is part of life where he comes from.

Thanks for your kind advice

Have checked some hotels already and yes, I am thinking to stay in a hotel. Not sure about the city canal with boys this time :) more sure about the zoo - as I understand his home a bit souther the zoo.

No father in this case, just mother (as I am aware). Although I am not certain if I go - it was "I want you to go with me to my home too" in September and no repeating of such words later. I just wrote "Good. I will go to Korat with you", when he informed me, he would go home from Pattaya on 25 July :) it's a little bit adventures, we will see...

it's a little bit adventures, we will see...

I think you won't have any problems at all and going to Khorat with the boy might very well turn out to be the highlight and most memorable part of your trip to Thailand. 

"I want you to go with me to my home too" seems to me to be a good indicator that he does want you to go with him, whether he said it a second time or not.  If he didn't want you to go, he would have had no reason to have said that in the first place.  If the boy has any reason why he doesn't want you to go with him, believe me he'll come up with some excuse as to why you shouldn't go.

If things really do go wrong for you in Khorat, well - there's always Gay Romeo and the canal . . .

No need to plan, I went to Lopburi, Bueng Gan and Buriram and my contacts organized everything. I wouldn't even book a hotel, either you can stay with him or he will recommend a hotel close to his place. You should give some hints about sightseeing. Car rent should be about 1000 Baht per day (car and driver including petrol).

Never been to Korat (only travelling through), but all other trips, eiter alone or visiting friends, were success and welcome break from usual Bangkok/Pattaya.

Beware of different sleep-wake pattern (bring a book, in case you wake up at 9 and your friend sleeps until 12), and extended drinking/eating (not of much interest for me to sit for hours while others eat, drink and chat in Thai).

That is sad but as experience of may others in the past shows , by no means unique.

Don't want to sound nosy but what it means he forbid you to see him boarding bus ? Literally told you so or just gently suggested? / no need to answer if you do not want to /.

Wipe your tears and look at bright side, if inevitable , it's better is's over now than many thousands of baht later.

I like your attitude, always look at full half of glass, yes you are free for BT. Feel free to report on newly re-opened Dreamboys and Lucky777 if you will happen to go there.

Like you know who said ' sun will shine on our street eventually as well '

And I was totally forbidden to see my friend boarding a bus to Korat today.

Unlike vinapu, not only do I look at this particular glass as half empty, I look at it as completely empty and probably never really had anything in it in the first place.  I believe you have probably been strung along and tricked all this time, most likely for the sole purpose of relieving you of a lot of cash.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened to unsuspecting farang.

If this boy didn't even want you to see him board the bus, let alone go with him to Khorat as he had told you before he wanted you to do, the words "something to hide" come to mind.  When I see a red light, I end it right then and there.  In this case, I see a huge, glaring red light.

Obviously I don't know your circumstances, but based on what you have posted I know what I would do if it were me.  I'd drop this boy like a hot potato and move on.

If he tries to call, I would not answer the telephone no matter how many times he tries.  If he sends text messages or Email, I would delete them without even reading them.  If you're still here when he returns, I would refuse to see him.  There are plenty more available boys in Pattaya.  I hope you won't let him ruin your holiday.

If he manages to catch up with you anyhow, I would regard any excuse he gives as pure, unadulterated bullshit.  My response to any excuse he tries would be as Franklin Roosevelt once said:  "Tell that to the Marines."

I might be far more cynical and unforgiving than many, but I've lived here a long time and I've seen too much to even consider handling it any other way.

what I meant by half full part of glass is OP ability to instantly move on and instead of debating spilled milk   / empty part  /he realized that  finish is an opportunity to start something new .

Otherwise I fully support your point of  cutting  connections and moving on.

No, guys, I just know, that I should/could move on. My mind knows it, but my heart cries and weeps :)

Of course, I read some farang-Thai literature. Not sure about this forum, but at Russian Thai forums (straight) people appreciate "Private Dancer" novel. It's about a sad farang-thai love story - with extended Thai family and Thai husbands who were presented to farangs as brothers and so on.

So from one hand I was prepared, from the other - I told (and seems to me, still tell) myself "it is not my case, my friend is different"... Perhaps, not so much different, but same same.

Still hope to see him at Bangkok on 30/07 - that was the plan. The question is "how to move these relations to more cynical/selfish way?". That was the idea year ago - just to have nice vacation romance, when the both sides know that it is just a nice vacation illusion. I was not going to fall in love with a Thai. And finally fell.

What we can say?  See what happens on July 30 and watch your wallet so it not opened by you heart but  by your head only.

It look at least that you know your position and where you are vulnerable so there's line of defense if need arises.

There's always possibility that he invited you to Korat and his family turned out not to be so enamored with that idea as he thought , hence prohibition  to go in order to save a face.

How to move relation to more selfish way ? We all know, you provide funds, boy ' takes care you'.

You find better boy , cut the funds, he finds better sponsor , cuts his presence.

Clear rules and still lots of fun and a passion can be had.

Stchastya zelaju ( I wish you good luck )

I was not going to fall in love with a Thai. And finally fell.

That has happened to many farang.  I'm glad you're aware of it.  I hope you won't make the same mistake twice.  Sometimes these holiday romances really do work out, but the vast majority do not, especially when it involves a bar boy.  The safest thing to do is to enjoy the time you spend with a boy while here on a holiday, maybe even have a tearful farewell when you depart for home, and leave it at that.  The trouble is many think with their hearts instead of their brains - and the result is all too often disaster.

When a farang falls in love with a Thai boy, returns home, and pines away, constantly thinking about the boy until he can return to Thailand to be with the love of his life, do you truly believe the boy is doing the same thing?

Whenever I hear a farang say, "Oh no, not this boy.  He's different,"  that's when I know the farang is usually in real trouble.

I'll never forget one boy I knew who used to carry 5 different mobile phones with him.  One for each different farang who had fallen in love with him and, of course, were all sending money.  Meanwhile, the boy made them think he was in love with them too when the reality was, other than the money, he didn't give a damn about any of them.  How do I know?  He told me.  All he was interested in was getting the money out of them.  And you know what?  He got it.

There's always possibility that he invited you to Korat and his family turned out not to be so enamored with that idea as he thought , hence prohibition  to go in order to save a face.

Then why would the boy have insisted that 1moRussian not even see him off at the bus?

To avoid looking at his face feeling  stupid by offering something which he was forced by family to renege on. 

I suppose that's possible, but that seems a little farfetched to me.  I think it's much more likely the boy was trying to hide something.

Whatever his reason may have been, for me it wouldn't matter.  In my opinion it would be best to just get rid of this boy and stay rid of him.

Guest abang1961

Oops, I was hoping for a fairy-tale ending to this episode...

I was curious about Korat and within 10 days since the 1st post, the bubble burst.

Never mind.. just nurse your heartache with the idea that there are many other "better" fishes in Pattaya...

But really isnt awful to be misled all this while... 

It just shows we are still gullible and vulnerable to their tales ... 

If you are still in Pattaya next week, let me buy you a drink....

** Like it or not, I am hopping over to Pattaya next Thursday to Sunday..