vinapu

How Thais are showing a gratitude ?

you are right, it looks that even in the West education is no longer ticket to steady and well paying job.

Our generation had it better and path to advance was clearer . When I look at young people around me very few are where I was in their age when comes to steady job. 

As for boys again I'm with you, there are legends of how much they are making but I found it hard to believe. Had an opportunity to talk to one of best looking boys in Dreamboys last Nov, I was his first off in 4 days and this is very popular bar, almost always full of clients.

It's why I think our tips are nothing less than global wealth redistribution and certainly nobody will hear from me that overtiping is spoiling market for others. I 'm not throwing money at them because I don't have this ability but least I can do is to ensure that most of my travel budget in LOS is spent  on the boys leaving shopping , dining and other pleasures to others.  

I don't think there's anything wrong with people sharing how much they've tipped as part of a travel report. It's interesting and relevant information. Especially when tipping more than the "going rate" was well justified because of the extraordinary effort or attitude of the recipient in question.

In my opinion, it's nonsense that tipping over the top in such a case and manner is bad for the market. If anything, the boy in question might tell his colleagues something like, "this guy really liked me and gave me a gift at the end of his stay because he was so happy with me". Who knows, they might get the message - make your customer extra happy and it might well pay off with an extra payment.

People complaining that overtipping is bad for the market would sound more credible if they limited their criticism to those who overspend indiscriminately, i.e. no matter how good or bad the service they've received has been. I think that's a significant distinction.

I go to Thailand for months at a time. I do stay in nice hotels and have been often chastised because of this. I guess it is hard for me to see any of my trips as bragging when often the total cost of my hotels is often less than 100 USD per night. IMHO, that is good business and not "flaunting ones money."

I am in the USA right now and visiting family for one month. I am staying in a Holiday Inn Express and the cost is 143.00 per night. Based on my last stay in Bangkok of 90,000 per month (less than 100 per night), I was saving nearly 1/3 per night staying at The Ascott. And, while saving money, I also had a 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom apartment with kitchen. In other words, I didn't think spending 100 a night is boastful or rubbing anything in someone's face. I think staying for less than 100 per night is a really sweet deal.

As for me taking too many bags with me, I live in hotels year round. Thus, I have most of everything I own to travel with me. I am sure if most of you packed up everything you own, it would be more than 7 bags of stuff.

I learned a long time back to try my best to save money when traveling and thus why I use miles to upgrade to business class. I can think of only one time in 5 years that I paid full price for a business class fare. I watch the message boards, forums, etc related to travel and I try to find good deals.

I really do never mean to sound like I am bragging when I travel, I do think that good information about travel costs is important. It is relevant to me when I read it and I hope relevant to others when they read some.

Bob, I really do not mean to sound like I live a glamorous life. I life a life where I am constantly trying to find good deals for long stays. I have done this for years and years and I'll keep doing it as long as I can. If I come across as anything other than trying to give information, then I do apologize for that. I am sure that your friends that don't talk about these things are much more entertaining than I am. But, I grew up poor white trailer trash and for me to stay in a 5 star hotel for 100 USD per night, makes me feel like I won the lottery! I try not to leave my beer cans on the sofa when I travel but from time to time, I forget my manners. :)

Michael, like Thai boys say ' you think too much".  No need to sound apologetic about your spending habits whatever it is.

I do not think you came across as bragging and it's not what Bob meant.

My reading of his comment is that at times people may be  tickled by what they perceive as bragging about somebody's life style whether warranted or not. Jealousy is just a part of human nature

Some folks who are not travelling have wrong notion of affordability of exotic trips. Thailand being possibly best value for money with first class infrastructure and still Third World prices enables us to indulge a bit and nothing wrong with it.

Some people like splendid houses, other glamorous clothes, jewelry or cars and still other like fancy vacations.

Keep posting,  spending and reporting. 

As for me taking too many bags with me, I live in hotels year round. Thus, I have most of everything I own to travel with me. I am sure if most of you packed up everything you own, it would be more than 7 bags of stuff.

Aha! Now I understand why you have so many bags when returning to the US. Do you store anything in Thailand?

Aha! Now I understand why you have so many bags when returning to the US. Do you store anything in Thailand?

The only thing I keep there that belongs to me is some stuff for the kitchen and a bicycle and motorcycle. My BF has those things and keeps, uses and sometimes sells or modifies the motorbike. :) Funny, the kitchen stuff is always in pristine condition and untouched.

While your ego may be well fed, it is probably this type of activity that has caused many money-boys to go up on their demands with regard to what they charge.  The market responds to these over the top gifts in a way that is not good for the consumer.

This is the most ridiculous comment I have ever seen and naturally it comes from someone who has almost no posts.

I wonder if you would be posting about someone who tries to pay less then the going rate when the boy is desperate because the rent is due. I can assure you there are many visitors who take delight in only giving the boys 500 baht. They spent thousands of dollars for air tickets, Hotels, Taxis , restaurants etc and their goal is to give the boys who give them so much pleasure the equivalent of $15 US. Despicable!!!

In addition if you were capable of reading my posts you would see that I don't generally pay over the going rate but am not afraid to reward a boy when he has gone above and beyond normal performance!

As far as many money boys going up in their demands 95% of the boys ask for the same amount that I have been giving for the last 15 years.

To suggest otherwise shows only that you are ignorant or the Classic Cheap Charlie!!!

Guest abang1961

To each his own.. whether you are a Prince or a Pauper...

As I am much much older, I have given jealousy a blind eye and instead, embrace others' generosity.

It is most unbecoming to condemn others' preference...

As Vinapu has correctly put it regarding my hopping over to Thailand every now and then, my major expenditure/indulgence is FOOD.. just simple food from street stalls... I must have the KA MOO (pig trotters rice at the airport before taking the transport out of it) and the CHICKEN RICE at Silom... Over in Pattaya, there is also a CHICKEN RICE behind 7-11 at Jomtien Junction and what happened to that BEEF noodles..the one with a sampan, is it still there?

If you can afford to spend, why not?  I think it is rather generous of those who can afford and more importantly, willing to boost the domestic economy of Thailand in one way or another...  just 3 more days to my next trip...

As far as Michael relating his spending on a trip. Like many I find it interesting but I know Michael.

How many of the people criticizing his spending come to Thailand for months at a time and need to work 12 hours a day during the time he is here. Completely different then someone coming here only for fun. Naturally he needs a nice place with extremely good internet , service etc. He should work 12 hours a day in some 1000 baht room. I think not!!

I come for a month at a time and only for fun and when I am in Pattaya I am staying in a beautiful Studio Apartment overlooking the Beach with fast internet , large showers with Rain showers, 50" inch TV's and complete kitchens. Western mattresses etc and depending on the season that costs me 1500-2000 baht per day.

That is less then many pay for dives in Pattaya and yes I include Boystown Hotels which are dives compared to where I stay. I have a fabulous pool, cheap restaurants and cheap laundries in the building.

So I have no problem spending a little extra from time to time ,on the reason I am here in the first place. THE BOYS!!!

Guest LoveThailand

Everyone has their own budgets and priotories when going to Thailand, of course.

I try to spend as little as I can on acommodation - but then my requirements are low. Traveling for business a lot and having very nice hotels paid for, I am very aware what I am looking for when on my own: clean not exptremely ugly room, coffee maker/electric kettle, shower with enough pressure and warm water, a pool (if not on the seashore). Same + prximity to the beach (if on the shore). Breakfst not important - there is usually a fruit stall very close by and I make my own coffee.

Since I love eating street food (sometimes a nicer Thai restaurant) it is unusual that I spend more than $10-15 per day on food. At least 50% of it is fruit (not in price, in volume).

Now to fun and boys.

My "fun" budget is $100 per day. There are days when I spend very little - for example, will have just a regular massage and go to a bar or two without offing/hooking up with a MB. Then it gets rolled over.

I am trying to pay the going rate when service is OK or even not very good. But very often I would really like the boy and consciously and intentionally tip at least 50% more. Often this is not even about stellar sex performance - rather something in the personality of the boy - even during such brief encounters this happens. This happens more often with boys who ask for the regular going rate.

my major expenditure/indulgence is FOOD.. just simple food from street stalls...

another point of how different we all are, 

I spent very little on food in LOS  reason  being my  low tolerance for a heat  and I lose an appetite almost immediately after leaving Swamy.

This is not producing any savings nor making me slimmer since when on vacations I'm switching to beer diet which normally I don't consume at all but somehow beer makes me running smoothly in the heat

As far as Michael relating his spending on a trip. Like many I find it interesting

Exactly,

I'm grateful that people are taking time  and sharing their adventures and expenditures with us as it usually comes at cost of their vacation time.

I like posters  financial data as it helps to plan the trip and relate our own spending habits to what others do.

Some are big spenders or sound like them, some are very frugal / Happy Birthday Christian PFC !!! / and this helps many people to realize that exotic Thai vacations are not that expensive like somebody living far away may think.

Active posters are tiny minority of people reading our forum and we may not ever  realize how many people were  helped

with their preparation for  Thai  vacations by reading our posts here, for years I was one of them so i know it first hand.

If somebody ask me I'd like even more of spending and pricing  information but understand that many may be apprehensive to share for fear of being labelled  boasters or too cheap particularly when tips are mentioned.

On another hand we shouldn't be too sensitive to other comments as not always disagreement means criticism. If somebody doesn't share our taste in boys what makes us thinking he should share out taste in food, hotels or clothing etc. 

For some squeezing every satang may be priority, other may be looking for an indulgence for one reason or another.

Labeling  often is not easy as many people are both big spenders and cheap charlies at the same time. I know somebody who comes to Thailand on business, stays regularly  in Conrad hotel , apparently one of expensive ones but eats on the street only ( not to save money but considers  street food tastier and more authentic).

Personally I don't spent much on food as mentioned above, have pretty low requirements for an accommodation, consider  taxis wasted money but I like tipping boys well and consider exorbitant drink and off fees at Dreamboys and massage fees at Senso justified by quality of their boys in the look department / performance may vary but not always due to boys fault, after all there are two of us in the sheets, right?/

I try to spend as little as I can on acommodation - but then my requirements are low. Traveling for business a lot and having very nice hotels paid for, I am very aware what I am looking for when on my own: clean not exptremely ugly room, coffee maker/electric kettle, shower with enough pressure and warm water, a pool (if not on the seashore). Same + prximity to the beach (if on the shore). Breakfst not important - there is usually a fruit stall very close by and I make my own coffee.

Since I love eating street food (sometimes a nicer Thai restaurant) it is unusual that I spend more than $10-15 per day on food. At least 50% of it is fruit (not in price, in volume).

Now to fun and boys.

My "fun" budget is $100 per day. There are days when I spend very little - for example, will have just a regular massage and go to a bar or two without offing/hooking up with a MB. Then it gets rolled over.

I am trying to pay the going rate when service is OK or even not very good. But very often I would really like the boy and consciously and intentionally tip at least 50% more. Often this is not even about stellar sex performance - rather something in the personality of the boy - even during such brief encounters this happens. This happens more often with boys who ask for the regular going rate.

I share your low requirements for an accommodation. Clean room and sheets, warm water, working A/C, walking distance from main attraction, at least one working electricity outlet, no joiners fee  and I'm set. Pool, beach , breakfast, even internet - unimportant.

Usually once per trip I like to boost my ego by staying 1-2 night in something better, usually Tarnatwan just for fun. 

Always prepay hotels or keep money for them separate from other funds.

My  budget in baht is 1000 for daily expenditures / food , transport,admissions, beggars  / ,  3000 for day time activities / 1-2 massages a day, can't live without them/, 4000 for night time /  drinks, offs, dinner with boy, boy's tip /. Most of my offs are long time massage boys but usually I treat them with dinner , than we go to the  bar to see the show before the rest

Yes it may be quite a bit but for me vacations, in Thailand or elsewhere  are most important  event during year and I'm not going to spent them counting every baht or quetzal. What helps is I'm pretty disciplined with such a  budget ,can skip massage or dinner but would not shortcut boy on his tip even if at times they did not deserve it really.

As LoveThailand if I feel chemistry with the boy tip is increased even if day budget would be busted. Even if minimum tip is less than 1000 I tip at least  1000,    as long as I could tough his erect cock in an intimate situation I think he deserved 1000 at least and so far it always happened to me even is supposedly straight places.

Never tipped more that 3000 doesn't matter how many buffaloes died and fathers landed in jail.

As mentioned few times before I have my personal bonus 500 payable if boy is erect when undressing before I even tough him, I 'm glad to pay for an illusion he finds me so attractive. 

In go-go bar I always tip 100 at least one  attractive boy from line-up, 100-200 boy sitting with me if any, 100 big cock participant if he comes to me to show his wares and let me to tough it and 100 fuck -show participants. It's why I don't complain about Dreamboys prices as there neither big cocks nor fucks are soliciting tips among us voyeurs.

Bottom line of all this rant is  - if I have good time I deeply believe boys should be compensated for it. 

Several months later I still smile at memories, I have feeling I owe this to them.

I am interested in reading other people's daily expensive, and encourage everyone to post more of it.

It shows what a wide range of tastes Thailand can cater to.

Hotel rooms from 10 to 1000 USD per night, pick up from airport by your hotel for "only" 3000 THB (sorry, cannot resist), airport limousine to Pattaya or public bus for 134 Baht.

I use hotel rooms for the three "S" (sleep, shower, sex), and can get a room that fulfills my requirements for less than 800 Baht in Bangkok (that was two years ago, now I rent by the month, currently 8000 Baht per month), and less than 600 Baht elsewhere in Thailand.

Guest LoveThailand

Oh - shaving reminded me of another requirement: shower with flexible hose and/or a toilet with a little "shower" attached :D

. I shave only twice per month, 

And you still have  nerve to  say that you don't like facial hair on your boys?  

Don't take it as critique as I don't like it either and I'm not any better / have a mustache / but shave daily.

my friend showed gratitude. After drinking with him for about

a week straight, offing him nightly and giving him every other night

the night off to himself ( after bar services not required with same tip )

I was invited to look at motorcycle at Tuk.com

when he got sunglasses as a gift- 

I started getting the customer treatment instead of friend.

All after only a week.

Glad it didn't go much further/longer.

I figured this was an early indicator of what was to come.