The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
Well, this is reassuring. Ancient virus resurrected after 30,000 years, scientists saycbsnews.com Cells infected with Pithovirus, a 30,000-year-old virus recovered from the Siberian permafrost. Matthieu Legendre et. al. As climate change leads to rapidly melting permafrost in the Russian tundra, a recent find has scientists worried that trouble may be lurking below. A 30,000 year old virus of unprecedented size has been found and reactivated. The virus, dubbed Pithovirus Sibericum, appears to affect amoebas and not human or mouse cells. Named after the Greek word, "pithos," meaning a large earthenware jar, it was discovered by a group of researchers from Aix-Marse…
- 4 replies
- 1k views
-
Should I be rethinking moving to the south to escape these winters? These 9 Maps Should Absolutely Outrage Southerners MORE: Maps of AmericaThe SouthMapsPoverty Poverty in CanadaAccess to Health CareObesity RatesObesityObamacareMaps of the SouthHappy StatesBusiness News Look, there are lots of things to love about the South. It's clean and quiet. There's delicious food, good people and often amazing weather. But that's exactly why it makes us so sad to think about all the ways in which the region is struggling today. First off, poverty rates are a lot higher in the South. Source: USDA In fact, as many as one in four southern kids lives in poverty, compared …
-
- 2 replies
- 1.4k views
-
-
http://www.theguardian.com/science/the-h-word/2014/mar/06/sympathy-for-strangelove-kubrick-film-science-history
- 2 replies
- 1.2k views
-
Since I am eligible for a phone upgrade with Verizon, I want an Iphone. I already have an Ipad and hate the Samsung Galaxy I have. But, should I get it now, or wait, apparently until September when a new Iphone is rumored to be due? Sneaky Verizon will take away my unlimited data plan the minute I make a change, it seems, so maybe I should hang on just to spite them...not that I use much data.
-
http://petapixel.com/2013/04/30/bts-photographing-from-urban-heights-with-russian-daredevil-rooftoppers/
- 11 replies
- 1.5k views
-
Miami Police have released pix of Justin Bieber giving a jailhouse showing of his tattoos...and very dirty fingernails! See them all: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/justin-bieber-police-custody-gallery-1.1710736?pmSlide=1 Lest the police be thought to be going too far, this headline: Justin Bieber’s private parts won’t be exposed in video shown at DUI trial, judge rules The court pointed to Bieber’s right to privacy in its decision not to release police video that shows the ‘Boyfriend’ singer’s genitalia during a urine test. We will only go so far! Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/bieber-private-parts-won-exposed-police-video…
- 6 replies
- 1.1k views
-
- 2 replies
- 892 views
-
And the dominoes keep falling... http://wfpl.org/post/kentucky-must-recognize-out-state-same-sex-marriages-federal-judge-rules
- 15 replies
- 1.4k views
- 1 follower
-
Well if this pans out then it would be awesome. http://news.yahoo.com/studies-show-big-promise-hiv-prevention-drug-174148333--finance.html;_ylt=A0SO8y0bVRZTaSEAbLdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0M2JhNm9yBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM2NF8x
-
Pope Francis: The Times They Are A-Changin' Inside the Pope's gentle revolution http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/pope-francis-the-times-they-are-a-changin-20140128
- 15 replies
- 1.9k views
-
I have a chance to get out of my condo, which means I would be free to move anywhere in. the US. I am looking for suggestions based upon cost of living, quality of living, gay living, ease of travel, etc. i have never lived in extreme cold but would consider all
- 12 replies
- 1.2k views
-
-
Insurance Companies as We Know Them Are About to Die And here's what's going to replace them BY EZEKIEL J. EMANUEL Read this copyrighted article at: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116752/ezekiel-emanuel-book-excerpt-end-health-insurance-companies
-
- 1 reply
- 867 views
-
-
Attention MsGuy -- hooray for slow-moving undertakers down your way! Man wakes up in body bag at funeral home Coroner calls incident miracle UPDATED 10:24 PM CST Feb 27, 2014 wapt.com LEXINGTON, Miss. —Leaders at a funeral home in Lexington found a person alive and kicking in a body bag. The man was found at the Porter and Sons Funeral Home, on Yazoo Street. Walter Williams woke up and surprised many people. "I asked the coroner what happened, and the only thing he could say is that it's a miracle," Holmes County Sheriff Willie March said. "I stood there and watched them put him in a body bag and zipped it up," Williams' nephew, Eddie Hester, said. The coron…
- 8 replies
- 960 views
-
The Best Time To Book A Plane Ticket, According To New Study The Huffington Post | by Suzy Strutner Finally, there’s a scientific answer to that magic number of days before a flight when tickets are at their cheapest. The answer? Are you ready? Are you reeeally ready? Fifty-four days before takeoff is, on average, when domestic airline tickets are at their absolute lowest price. And if you don’t hit 54 days on the head, you should usually book between 104 to 29 days before your trip -- within the “prime booking window” -- for the lowest possible prices. In this window, ticket prices typically hover within $10 of the lowest price they’ll ever reach. At lea…
-
- 2 replies
- 1.4k views
-
-
-
- 1 reply
- 1.3k views
-
-
Somewhat hilarious. SCIgen - An Automatic CS Paper Generator About Generate Examples Talks Code Donations Related People Blog About SCIgen is a program that generates random Computer Science research papers, including graphs, figures, and citations. It uses a hand-written context-free grammar to form all elements of the papers. Our aim here is to maximize amusement, rather than coherence. One useful purpose for such a program is to auto-generate submissions to conferences that you suspect might have very low submission standards. A prime example, which you may recognize from spam in your inbox, is SCI/IIIS and its dozens of co-located conferences (check out the ver…
- 16 replies
- 3k views
-
What might cause a model's profile to completely disappear? Are they very strict over at F4F on conduct? I know they have a no fruit and no fists policy, but what else might get someone disappeared from one minute to the next?
- 4 replies
- 1.1k views
-
Heard mention of this advertisement and was able to find a clip of it. Fun message... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4CEaoNADiY
-
-
- 0 replies
- 785 views
-
-
-
I am sitting watching the latest season--anyone else into Survivor? Garrett looks great.
-
Short video of 5 guy group auditioning for the Australian version of SoYouThinkYouCanDance http://www.underwearexpert.com/2014/02/sytycd-contestants-dance-undies/ when you click on the link, scroll down to the video, the 2nd guy from the right, the blonde is the one I would like to see more of!
- 4 replies
- 960 views
-
Teen Invents Flashlight That Could Change The World By Andrew Lampard Ann Makosinski was just another teenager with another science project when she joined her local science fair in Victoria, Canada, last year. Her invention, a flashlight that is powered solely from hand heat, took second place at the competition. Ann, 16, and her parents, both of whom are HAM radio operators and like to fiddle with electronics, were satisfied with that result. “It’s a very simple project,” said Arthur Makosinski, Ann’s father. “It has four electrical components. Let’s move on and do something different.” But had Ann left her project in Victoria, situated just 25 miles north…
- 6 replies
- 1.4k views
-
I guess MasterChef didn't drop her. Anyways, she is so lively.. BTW, I think I will be so mad if that pretty girl Jessie wins. It will be the fourth time in a row a pretty female home cook wins. They need to balance out with a female judge.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV3kTktTwMU
- 7 replies
- 1.1k views