abidismaili

How many times a year you travel to Thailand?

This is of course only intended for those who do not live in Thailand.

I go 3 or 4 times to Thailand every year, each visit about a week.

Curious about how often you guys travel.

I could save money by only going two times a year and stay two weeks each visit. I need to be in Pattaya/Bangkok every 3 months on average. Else I get insane.

Guest anonone

This is of course only intended for those who do not live in Thailand.

I go 3 or 4 times to Thailand every year, each visit about a week.

Curious about how often you guys travel.

I could save money by only going two times a year and stay two weeks each visit. I need to be in Pattaya/Bangkok every 3 months on average. Else I get insane.

Very similar for me.  I go 4-5 times each year, usually for about a week to 10 days each.

Difficult travel from the USA and expensive, but totally worth it. 

If I don't have plans made for the next trip (air ticket purchased), I just don't feel good.  LOL

Before I retired, I got 1 or 2 trips in for 10 days or so. Now with retirement I'll get 6 trips in this year. 2 for a month and 4 for 2 weeks.

Next year it will be less trips but more time. Already have 2 months booked starting in Feb. then will probably do 2 or 3 months later in the year. I've thought about trying to stay for a year or 2, but I still miss home, so like to mix it up a bit.

I go to SE Asia 1 time per year for 4 weeks.     As soon as I quit working, I will experiment with a much longer trip & if that works, probably move there permanently.

Very similar for me.  I go 4-5 times each year, usually for about a week to 10 days each.

Difficult travel from the USA and expensive, but totally worth it. 

If I don't have plans made for the next trip (air ticket purchased), I just don't feel good.  LOL

We in the Netherlands always pity Americans, because we are told they have on average only 2 weeks holiday each year. So you must be a teacher! Else we Europeans receive wrong information from our media. Your country is in the media pictured not so good when it comes to employee rights: Americans need to work often two jobs to make a descent living, Americans have almost no holiday (2-3 weeks max), if you loose your job there is very bad social security, your employer can fire you very very easy (here we have some protections) etc.

Are we fed here a lie by our media?  Is it average to have 4 to 5 weeks holiday for a working American? Or you are an exception?

I used to go twice per year 3 weeks each (from Europe), now I live here.

If you are not retired what job you have in Thailand if I may ask? I have looked into that option myself and the most easy to get is the teacher job. But that pays very bad (you can live from it, but impossible to have your regular gogo boy or GR boy from that salary). Also jobs in the ICT sector are almost impossible now I read. So I am curious how you managed to get a job there. I can use your information and tips. Because I would love to live there too.

Are we fed here a lie by our media?  Is it average to have 4 to 5 weeks holiday for a working American? Or you are an exception?

Yes a lie.

Much depends on your employer whether private or public employee. Vacation time begins with 1 week and increase with years on the job. Many Americans in Thailand are retired on good pensions plus Social Security. Some even have 2 or more pensions such as ex-military men.

Of course if you are poor and uneducated that is another matter.

I used to come every year or two  short 5-7 days trips on my way to or from somewhere in the region / Burma, Laos, Cambodia,Indonesia /.

In 2013 short trip in May between Bali and Laos legs and 2 weeks in Nov, ever since one 2-3 weeks long  trip every year, 

hope for another short jump  at end of this year, likely none next year.

I think I like more frequent but shorter trips anonone's style  despite long flights I need to endure. What is killing  me is jet lag on return and my ruinous spending habits while in LOS, shorter trip, shorter leash !

Two gentleman above kokopelli's  post would you please move you Christian PFC gossip to PM level ?

You really don't think that a country that put a man on the moon is the land of poverty?

That's capitalistic propaganda echoing communist one  : "do you think that a country that put Gagarin as first man in space is the land of poverty ?" 

Short stroll through south Chicago, Harlem or Detroit's  downtown if you brave enough to venture / I agree that is much safer that it looks though/   makes you wonder to what degree kokopelli is right there. But this is another subject

Guest anonone

We in the Netherlands always pity Americans, because we are told they have on average only 2 weeks holiday each year. So you must be a teacher! Else we Europeans receive wrong information from our media. Your country is in the media pictured not so good when it comes to employee rights: Americans need to work often two jobs to make a descent living, Americans have almost no holiday (2-3 weeks max), if you loose your job there is very bad social security, your employer can fire you very very easy (here we have some protections) etc.

I am not a teacher.

As mentioned above, in the USA typically when you began with an employer you were at 2 weeks holiday per year, with more weeks given the longer you stay with the company.  It tended to discourage folks from switching employers as you usually started over at 2 weeks again. 

Of course, depending on your skills and performance you can negotiate whatever compensation package you are worth, including paid time off.  Companies have gotten much more flexible with this type of "total package" versus just salary, though this is a bit dependent on the industry and the role of the position.  It has also become more common to have one bucket of time off that is used for everything including illness and such.  Someone in good health is able to use all the time for holiday instead.

For employees in the private sector, there is a limited social security program for both disability and retirement, but it was meant more to prevent people from starving to death and not as total income replacement.  Those interested in a decent retirement also save money outside of the government program. 

As for employee protection, there are some limited protections for discrimination and similar civil rights types of terminations.  In some roles (typically blue collar / trades) there can also be Unionized labor which offers some protections for members.  But overall you are correct, it is much easier to fire someone in the USA than in Europe. 

Guest alkoe

after my first visit in february this year (14 days) i made the plan to go again in this year to LOS - i own a little company so i cannot go in high season (april to october) - so my next trip will start end of october - because of the long flight from germany i will stay this time 18 days

I used to come 3 or 4 trips a year for 3-4 weeks each.  Now I am down to two with one being for 2 months and the other 1 month.

Next year it will be down to possibly 1 trip.  Still have lots of places to visit and a finite amount of income to spend.

Plus I'm sick of 24 hours in planes and still have lots of places to visit with air travel 9 hours or less.

Guest Jason105

It's great that you guys have so much vacation time.

I get ten days to two weeks annually and for the past few years have come to Thailand

I spent one vacation in Puerto Vallarta which was fun but the lure of the LOS has me planning to return.

This year I have had to use a lot of time for family matters and health matters so not sure how much vacation time I can swing but my intention is to head for the Big Mango with a side trip to Pattaya.

In my opinion, the long flight is worth it and getting a great foot massage every day does wonders!

Looking forward to having longer vacations in future to explore surrounding countries.

That's capitalistic propaganda echoing communist one  : "do you think that a country that put Gagarin as first man in space is the land of poverty ?" 

Short stroll through south Chicago, Harlem or Detroit's  downtown if you brave enough to venture / I agree that is much safer that it looks though/   makes you wonder to what degree kokopelli is right there. But this is another subject

Wow, you are quick on the draw, vinapu!  I edited out that bit about the moon landing, 5 minutes after I posted it, since didn't want people to think I was bragging. Besides, the Moon landing was another big lie of the USA, all staged on a Hollywood set along with those silly rovers on Mars and that bogus closeup of Pluto.

I'm from Canada. I travel to Asia every second  year, and stay  there 3 to 4 months. My work let me do this.

The problem is - it take me 24 hours to get to Singapore from my home town. In Asia I travel from south to north.

Always stay ~ 45 days in Thailand. Asia is different and it is so beautiful and people are very nice.

Always looking to come back to Asia. When I retire -  very soon, I will stay in Asia every year during long very cold

Canadian winter.

Normally I travel to Thailand at least once per year in November through January time period (it varies) and stay about one month.  I spend the other 11 months in my home country dreaming about it. But for personal and medical reasons I have been away for the past 3 years.  Before that I came every year for the prior 10+ years. Since being away, it helps ease the pain by reading the trip reports of others.

I have stayed as long as 2 months and quite honestly I do not know if I could stand it for longer than that. I love the guys, but i lose patience with the "Thai way".  When I stay longer I move around and visit new different areas each year.. I have also used Thailand as home base to visit other countries nearby but for me they do not compare to Thailand.

I prefer BKK for staying a longer time but I always try to go to Pattaya for at least a week. On a few trips I went to Pattaya for long weekends every week or so and that was fine.

I have not yet planned my next return to Thailand.