LAguy

Train or plane from Bangkok to Chiang Mai

OK, so my summer is set up - 5 weeks in Bangkok, with weekends away... I've set up a weekend in Chiang Mai - got my Gay tour guides set up, and have my hotel in Chiang Mai booked... Now I'm looking into getting from Bangkok to Chiang Mai...

It seems there are two choices - overnight train or a quick flight... First, I was going to just book a flight.... But what I've read online has me concerned...  Flights on AirAsia are cheap, but they (and all the other airlines that fly between the two cities) have horrible safety records....

So, I figured I'd just book an overnight train... But when I went to book online, there are all kinds of reviews saying the trains are overrun with cockroaches... which would freak me out.... 

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... There have got to be guys on here who have done the trip... Which did you pick?  The train or the plane?

Maybe I'll be less freaked out when I hear what members here tend to do...

Air Asia has been operating since 1994 and has, as far as I know, just 1 fatal accident.

Meanwhile, Air France managed 4 fatal accidents in the last 20 years (plane crash info.com).

Air Asia safety wouldn't be a factor for me.   It's not like you are flying a Russian or French airline. 

I would fly Air Asia in at least one of the directions. Consider taking the train in one direction for sightseeing purposes.

I have done the daytime trip once from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

The train is adequate, and is not overrun with cockroaches.

It is a sightseeing opportunity.

However, it is slow, and takes 12 hours, if on time.

Flying takes a bit over one hour in the air.

I have also done 6 or so flights with AirAsia in SE Asia.

They seem safe enough to me.

I have not felt uncomfortable on these flights.

Everybody is different but spending 12+ hours on a train (or any transportation vehicle) is not my idea of fun.  As concerns the myriad of airlines flying from BKK to CNX, I've used most of them and don't have any safety concerns there.

Two years ago, they suspended train service to Chiangmai for a few months due to multiple derailments caused by bad track sections.  After claiming they replaced all the bad tracks, they had a big hoopla inauguration trip loaded with Bangkok and Chiangmai dignitaries and, you guessed it, the train derailed on the way to Lampang (they bussed them back).  The train trip is probably relatively safe now (plus they don't go fast enough to cause a huge problem) but I'd guess that flying is a whole lot safer.

Given you mentioned you've only scheduled a "weekend" up here, I'd highly recommend you don't waste more than a day's time doing the train thing.  And, since you've mentioned doing the overnight deal, the "sight-seeing opportunity" mentioned above just isn't going to happen.  Fly....and spend your limited time checking out our fair city.

I would never even consider taking the train. It doesn't sound fun or interesting to me.

As noted there are lots of airlines flying between BKK and CNX including THAI Airways. I've never flown AirAsia, but I have read you need to be aware of the various fees they charge. According to Google flights there are 51 flights per day between the two cities (both BKK and DMK).

Flights on AirAsia are cheap, but they (and all the other airlines that fly between the two cities) have horrible safety records....

I join the chorus above - where an idea of them having horrible safety records is coming from?

For just a weekend plane is much more sensible option although I wouldn't worry about cockroaches on the train either.

just go and have fun !

There are buses as well between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

I have taken the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai about 5 times (and back, except one return by bus). It's no fun, I can't sleep well with the shaking of the train. And you have to plan for delays of 1 or 2 hours.

With flights on average not much more expensive, and travel time much shorter, and generally no delays, it's a no-brainer: take the plane!

I continue to take the train because I like train travel, carry a pocket knife (don't want to check in luggage on plane due to higher costs and having to wait for luggage). In well over 10.000 km of train travel in Thailand, I have seen only a few errant cockroaches on trains.

These airlines fly Bk-CNX:

Thaismile, AirAsia, Lionairthai, NOKair (owned by Thai), BKK-air.(calls itself boutique air). Just pay a little more for a quiet brain.

Fact; AA is in fact 5 different airlies, domestic its THAiAairAsia and this has never had an accident. The 1 crash was of course by the Indon AA-in general all airlines from there have a bad rep.

There are some 20 buscompanies running both by day and overnight, incl the govmt. owned BoKoSo, which has 2nd cl, 1st cl and super-de-luxe (called 999) VIP bus. Fares range from 350-900 bt.

Train: read seat61 for a very biased pro-train info. As chris writes: there are OK beds, the cars as such are also OK, but the rails not-and this makes all the difference. ON day all windows are closed to keep sun out.

Arrived today hre in CM, by bus from NAN (greenbus, 6 hrs, 259 bt, free cookies+water included).Its at least less cold as in Nan and rain has stopped.

Good point about having very little time in reality in Chiang Mai... I think I'll chance it on a flight... even without cockroaches, 12 hours on a train overnight IS a bit much... I actually started at Seat61... and it was when I read reviews on 123go that I saw all kinds of people talking about roaches... which freaked me out...

There are safety records for all the world's airlines online.... you can look up Thai Smile, Air Asia Thailand, Bangkok Air, NOK air, etc... Air Asia is the best out of all of them with a 4 out of 7 record... I think I'll chance it on an hour flight each way. Leaves me more time to check out the sights - and thai boys in Chiang Mai!

Thanks guys... 

Flights on AirAsia are cheap, but they (and all the other airlines that fly between the two cities) have horrible safety records....

Each and every of these airlines is much safer than the train operator, State Railway of Thailand. If safety is your biggest concern, then don't take a train in Thailand. (In fairness though, most people who die in train accidents in Thailand collide with a train, don't ride it.)

just look both ways or find a little old lady to shadow...that's what I did in Vietnam and it worked like a charm.

LOVE it... Although I'll probably see a Thai boy with an ass I like, and will end up following him around instead!

Guest abang1961

Are you kidding me?

Air asia s SAFE.

I took the train and the bus to CX many years ago. The savings is minimal but you suffer from backaches and headaches because of the twists and turns, nearer to CX.

If you're worried about flying to Chiang Mai because of air safety do a quick search on train and bus crashes to Chiang Mai, I'd say you would hit the airline office immediately for a ticket

I have always had great luck with Bangkok Air.  BA feels more like business travel then economy.  Free travelers lounge goes with you ticket, they have a decent on board snack, no hassle about  baggage, and you get an assigned seat.