Travellerdave

Visit to Dongtan Beach

English is not my first language so would somebody care to enlighten me what is actually disparaging in term 'fairy" warranting such heated response.

We don't have members calling others ' Moron' with capital M every day , I'd say not even every month.

Fairy is a derogatory term for a gay male, usually one who exhibits effeminate mannerisms. Popular a century ago.

“Oh fairies gay! How beautiful are they… We fairies gay, to thee awake our lay… A fairy gay, as beautiful as day… Oh fairy gay! No words could e’er convey…” William Fosdick

In the UK "fairy" was a derogratory term used in an agressive way against gay men in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

I guess Brits don't like the use of the word against a gay lad while other nationalities see nothing wrong with it.

And, fortunately, we Brits haven't yet caught the politically correct disease that some others appear to have.

Firecat wrote:

" I find it hard to believe that Eros has gone from Fem Boys to manly guys and based on their current website , it appears to be the same as always."

Well, it has, much to my delight! But the problem is, a lot of the young straight guys can't get it up!

And how old is that Eros website? Last time I looked, only a couple of the guys were still working there.

When I was in Pattaya last month I spent most of my time in Boyztown and was shocked at the number of fem guys I saw in the gogo bars. By "fem" I mean the prancing, posing, pouting types. They are in Toy boys and Dreamboys, just to name two.

And you mentioned A-Bomb but neglected to mention Vassa, which would be heaven for guys who like fem boys.

And you neglected to mention Good boys in Sunee. While not a gogo bar per se, there is not a fem boy in sight.

Whilst not having any statistics to back it up, I got the definite impression that there were more fem guys in Boyztown than over in Sunee.

You're in desperate need of a chill pill, I think.

For the record, the fairy in that picture is very much my type. If you take offence to using the term fairy because people have used it in a mean-spirited way, I'm afraid I cannot help you.

Reading comprehension skills, that you accused other members of lacking, also include not to be biased towards any particular interpretation when several are plausible. Not only do I believe in fairies, I also like the term and I shall continue to use it, with or without your blessing.

I'll take you at you at your word that you did not mean it in a  disparaging way .  Times change and different countries may have different connotations to a term.

However believe me Willie liked your post for one reason only because he assumed it was a negative remark on that type of boy.

And I can find ten's of the same negative comments toward Fem Types from him.

English is not my first language so would somebody care to enlighten me what is actually disparaging in term 'fairy" warranting such heated response.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_slang_terms, where they make some interesting remarks regarding the acceptability of these terms in general and of the term "fairy" in particular.

My take is that it's not the term "fairy" as such that causes offence, but the way it was used by gay bashers. The term "fairy" doesn't have any intrinsic bad meaning, unlike some others on that list. Therefor it should be us, not the haters, who determine which connotations to attach to it.

As always, context also matters:

If I call an effeminate, ageing member of the gay community from a Western country a fairy, that could be seen as insensitive, because he might well have encountered that term used as an insult flung at him a few decades ago. For that reason, personally I don't use the term for that group at all, while others might think it's okay among friends or in jest.

If I call a Thai femboy a fairy, on the other hand, I don't see any problem at all. Thais of that age and flavor will think of mythical and beautiful creatures (most will have watched Peter Pan and Maleficent, few if any will know about the bad connotations), and quite possibly feel flattered if anything. It's not uncommon to see them adorning pictures of themselves with fairy- or angel-like wings and wearing such costumes. A Thai friend of mine recently went to his company's New Year party dressed as a Maleficent lookalike.

Our situation here is a bit funny, because I clearly wrote about the latter group, but the audience of this forum is just as clearly (more of) the former. Still, when I saw that photo and pictured that lovely fairy fluttering along that beach, it was just the perfect term to use.

Our situation here is a bit funny, because I clearly wrote about the latter group, but the audience of this forum is just as clearly (more of) the former. Still, when I saw that photo and pictured that lovely fairy fluttering along that beach, it was just the perfect term to use.

thank you for clarifying that. my take was exactly what you just described and I was perplexed what was wrong with calling an angel - an angel.

After all Sophia called Rose 'moron ' too and they were friends and roommates, also in 80-ties of the LAST century / Golden Girls TV characters for those who did not start greying yet/

Firecat wrote:

"You certainly could be right overall since BT has 5x as many boys overall then Sunee. It stands to reason that BT would have many more of every type. Just Boyz probably has more boys then all of Sunee."

Correct. I was just surprised at seeing screaming fem boys in a bar like Toyboys. It came as quite a shock to the system..

In the past, Sunee was for fems and BT was for men. As I prefer the latter, I used to spend far more time in BT.

But then something happened - many of the fems mysteriously disappeared from Sunee and were replaced with more masculine, straight guys. And BT bars started hiring more fem types. So I moved back to Sunee.

I was so happy to see so many new masculine guys in Eros. If only they could rise to the occasion!

Now I move between the two areas.

I think Sunnyboys was the last bastion of the fems in Sunee.

There's someone to suit all tastes, thank God.

OMG I arrive Dongtan beach 10 days and your all saying no boys there Wowwwww not good news

Certainly not like the good old days but the boys are around just fewer in numbers. My Gay Romeo filter usually returns 5-8 within a few hundred meters of my beach section. 10 days does put you in Pattaya around Songkran week when many boys return to their villages for the holidays.