TMax

Songkran

Okay I expect to get well and truly soaked during my next trip (Songkran) so this may be a silly question, whereabouts in the Silom / Surawong areas is the wettest? I would like to try and avoid getting soaked on my way to the BTS at Sala Daeng when going shopping or to the movies at MBK or Siam Paragon. Doesn't matter so much when on my way to visit the massage boys though

Anywhere along Silom road. And you'll get soaked no matter where you go. Don't even think about staying dry.

These days I organise my trips to avoid Songkran. Been there, done that.

This year I'm heading down to Pattaya on April 9 then going to Bangkok on the 15th. I won't be able to completely avoid it but I'll miss most of it. Songkran in Pattaya is spoilt by farang so want to get started days before the official celebrations begin.

Having said that, last year I had a great time on April 19 in Pattaya. I went out celebrating with some guys from a bar, so it's not all bad news.

If this is your first experience of Songkran, you'll have a fun time.

Okay I expect to get well and truly soaked during my next trip (Songkran) so this may be a silly question, whereabouts in the Silom / Surawong areas is the wettest? I would like to try and avoid getting soaked on my way to the BTS at Sala Daeng when going shopping or to the movies at MBK or Siam Paragon. Doesn't matter so much when on my way to visit the massage boys though

I was in BKK on Songkran two years ago.  I stayed at the Babylon barracks (I like saunas) and had a good time at their foam parties.  I also attended a "pool party" of G Circuit that I found boring, and it was on the way to this place and back that I got soaked.

It was worth to have a dress-strategy for the very possible soakings.  nothing but a t-shirt,  shorts with two good pockets to carry the wallet and smartphone, each in double hermetic plastic bags, and sandals.  They could have thrown me in a pool, and I would have had no damage.  Of course it would have taken some dry-up time before I dared to get into the BTS or MTR, but in the BKK weather this is not a long time.

I hate getting wet so I am going to avoid Songkran days. Can anybody tell me when do they start and stop spraying water this year?

When will the massage boys usually come back from their holidays?

I am trying to schedule my trip.

April 13th to the 15th, I imagine it will be a wet time in that period

I would like to try and avoid getting soaked on my way to the BTS at Sala Daeng when going shopping or to the movies at MBK or Siam Paragon. Doesn't matter so much when on my way to visit the massage boys though

On your way from where? Stay away from Silom for a chance of not getting wet. Beside getting wet, there will be long queues at MRT/BTS, no taxis available at all or inflated prices, queues to get into venues (in 2013 I had to wait with many others to get into Babylon sauna), I recommend going only walking distance, and even that can take when there is pedestrian traffic jam!

On my way to BTS from Tarntawan, normally I head down Surawong and then along Thaniya to the BTS so was hoping that route isn't too wet

Google images for "Songkran and Silom". It will give you and idea of what you will be facing.  It's wall-to-wall people, water, powder. You don't just walk to the BTS to go the the movies during the three days of Songkran.  The only reason to be in, or stay in this area during Songkran is to participate in the water fight.  

Those are the official dates when they will splash water but are there unofficial dates too?

I mean do some overenthusiatic Thai people splash water one or two days before Apr 13 and after Apr 15?

I need to do some planning to avoid those days.

From what I have experienced in the past (elsewhere in Thailand) no they don't, it's usually kept to the dates

Related question:

This year I will be in Thailand over Songkran 13.-15.04.2016 (2014 and 2015 I fled the country) and want to go to Bang Saeg (town with beach halfway between Bangkok and Pattaya) for their sand castle festival 16.-17.04.2016. The question is when to travel to Bang Saen. Before Songkran starts in Bangkok, that would be 5 days in Bang Saen, a bit too much. Or during Songkran, but how to get to Bang Saen without getting wet? (Bus from Rama 4 to Victory Monument or Ekkamai and then van or bus.)

(Another problem is how to choose hotel, Bang Saen will be busy. Book online or make a daytrip to check promising places - location and price - and choose the best?)

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news...

But the water throwing will start in Bkk around midnight on the 12th... so don't go out that night expecting to tsay out late and return dry!

Christian:

16/17 is Wan lai in Bang Saen, expect mental traffic and water throwing for 48 hours on the streets that lead to the beach... Going there is NOT a recommended way of avoiding the water play!

Also water throwing in Pattaya will finish in the 19th (not on 18th as stated above)

In fact 19th will be the best/worst day (depending on your perspective!) of them all!

Guest Infinity999

I celebrated my best Songkran in Hat Yai city in the south of Thailand in 2008. From what I remember the water throwing commenced approx 6pm on the first day of Songkan and finished at 6pm on the 2nd day. I partied at the shop near to my hotel and contributed to the "ice fund" and every hour or so our new ice was delivered to keep the water nice and cold. Unlike previous Songkrans I'd experienced up in Isaan/Bangkok people didn't appear to be too drunk and silly (except for me....) and we avoided splashing people who were clearly on the way to work (cannot be much fun arriving at Tesco's soaking wet and having to work in the air-con all day). It was a fun 24hrs and I guess that was the reason I enjoyed it so much - it was only 24hrs ! I love to join in but do find 4 days or more tiresome but then if I was younger I would surely have a different opinion. And in the evening I went to the sauna and met a slim dark school teacher from Pattani but I fear I do digress....

Spent 13 in Suphanburi and 14 in Kanchanaburi sightseeing with a friend with a car. If I hadn't know, I wouldn't have noticed that it's Songkran. Don't recall any water splashing, no traffic problems, some hotels booked out in Kanchanburi.

15 and 16 largely stay in, in Bangkok. On 16 evening out by bus, no problems.

Today 17 we (same friend from 13 and 14 with car) did sightseeing trip in Chonburi province that was supposed to end in Bang Saen (sand castle festival). However approaching Sukhumvit road in Bang Saen, there was Songkran mayhem/chaos/pandemonium, getting to the beach might have taken hours, and then where to park, and how to stay dry? My friend refused and turned around and we went back to Bangkok.

As the sandcastle festival seems to be always on Wan Lai, it will always be the same and the only way to experience it without traffic jam will be to arrive before and stay in hotel in walking distance?

Guest Stewart

- it was only 24hrs ! I love to join in but do find 4 days or more tiresome but then if I was younger I would surely have a different opinion.

My sentiments entirely. It was my first and probably my last experience of Songran. Knock 10 years off my life and I would be up for it. The boys in Jomtiem Complex got very drunk and were generally very good fun thought out the evening. One of the sweeties decided it would be laugh to tip the ice bucket over me. By chance an ice cube landed in my hand where as quick as a flash it was inserted firmly "where the sun don't shine". To see him hoping about trying to extract it was a joy to see. The owner was quick to make sure no bare butts were on display. Shame !

However I love the video clip going around of the hapless brit caught on camera and subsequently arrested for "muff diving" a girl in a Walking street bar. Thought it was harsh but when it comes to religious festivals one has to have a certain amount of decorum.