musgrave

Suitable Location

Really an impossible question to answer. Depends on the individual and what they like. Are they a homebody or do they want to go out most nights? Do they want to be able to get to Gay Clubs easily. Do they need to be able to get to 1 of the 2 airports easily.

Do they love Shopping Malls etc.

The one thing I think would be a little more uniform is being close to SkyTrain!

Really interesting perspective and certainly location was principally determined by partner.

It would seem that would be completely different if the person looking was single and either interested in multiple short time partners or hoped to find a permanent partner.

Really interesting perspective and certainly location was principally determined by partner.

It would seem that would be completely different if the person looking was single and either interested in multiple short time partners or hoped to find a permanent partner.

Definitely.

I think it would also be different if you are younger.

For me I am happy to go with my partner on as many holidays and short breaks as I can afford and then relax here. 

Before making the financial commitment to our home and land I was also 100% sure my partner and I would be happy together. That involved 3 years of holidays twice a year here followed by 2+ years of living together in the UK. My mantra take it slowly if you're looking for a permanent relationship.

I also found it very illuminating to watch him during our initial time together in his family environment in his village.

Guest cdnmatt

I made the brilliant decision of falling in love with a go-go boy in Pattaya, and got dragged up to Khon Kaen out of the ordeal. :)

After a few years together, we broke up, and I was already comfortable here, know my way around, plus have the dogs and packing them around isn't easy, so I just stayed.  Can't say I regret it.  If you don't mind a quiet, peaceful type of life, then it's great -- not to mention cheap.  I have a really nice fully furnished, 3bdrm, 2bath house with large gated yard for a simple 11,000/month.  What would I get in Bangkok for that?

And it's just comfortable here.  It's fairly communal type of society in ways I guess, which makes it quite safe, peaceful and enjoyable.  I can't say I'm good friends with everyone around, but everyone knows everyone, we all watch over each other, show respect to each other, etc.  For me personally, I enjoy it.  I like seeing the same store owners each day, or same vendors at the market each day, etc.

I work from home behind the computer, so this type of lifestyle and community suits me well.

I stay in Bangkok because there is more to see and do than e.g. Chiang Mai or Pattaya and public transport is better and easy to travel elsewhere in Thailand.

Staying in Sathorn is more or less by chance: before my first trip I asked a friend for hotel suggestion, and stayed at Ibis Sathorn. Then I knew the area and had friends there, so all subsequent visits (except when I had a job in Bangkok, then staying near my workplace) I stayed in Sathorn again.

Proximity to airport is not important, but I need bus stop and MRT or BTS in walking distance, and proximity to train station is desirable.

I was advised that the lease is legally binding, however this is Thailand and one should be aware that a land owner could make life unpleasant or even worse.

It will make some members laugh, but I am a trusting individual and, in my case, believe my partner when he said if we ever separate he would sell the land and expect me to make him a financial settlement based on the length of our relationship.

He has told me many times that because I looked after him and his family when he needed it, he will always look after me.

My oft repeated mantra of taking relationships slowly and making sure you have met the right guy is why I totally believe him.

I stay in Bangkok because there is more to see and do than e.g. Chiang Mai

True, but Chiang Mai has truly handsome Thai men, friendly farangs (gay and straight), a large local community that is in touch with all elements of the available and excellent restaurants, travel opportunities, treks, hiking, etc,  Chiang Mai has everything Bangklok has, without the noise, the pollution, the incredible horrible traffic, and the touts,.  I met my partner 7 years ago and we have now been married for two years and are happily living in the USA.  My partner is not a money boy, and I doubt I could have met him anywhere else but Chiang mai.  Give Chiang Mai a long look.