gerefan

Security Boyztown

I was really surprised at the number of middle eastern people wandering around BT last night. Never seen so many ( or any at all) before.

They went inside quite a few gogo bars too.

Then when I got home to see the awful events in Nice on TV.

Makes me wonder whether there should be some sort of security like they have in Sunee Plaza.

For those who don't know there is a guy who patrols SP each evening in a dark suit. He used to be accompanied by a younger guy and they both used to carry truncheons, although the one guy now does not.

I'm not prone to overreaction but actually feel a lot safer in SP when that guy passes by.

Then when I got home to see the awful events in Nice on TV.

Those victims in Nice were not homosexuals sinning in a sex place, but people enjoying fireworks.  I already heard comments by acquaintances who had been in Nice, saying that they could have been among the victims.

Our life is a succession of occasions of survival.  If we survive long enough, we reach old age.

But probability is in our favor, if we are careful.

But probability is in our favor, if we are careful.

I try to be careful.  However, some recent European government policy has not been at all careful.  

We have seen the way one particular group have totally failed to integrate in Europe (& many other regions). That group has been responsible for some of the worst terrorist atrocities in France, Belgium, the UK and the US. 

Yet Ms Merkel has thrown the doors open.

As for Thailand, I don't think the Arab tourists present any appreciable risk.   Other than, perhaps their dangerous driving.

The threat is more likely to come from militants in the south.  Even then, the probability of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is low.  

the Thai authorities were saying that there was high risk in Pattaya..

The probability of being caught in an event is small.

[Although if some Jihadist started spraying bullets around Panorama bar, I would not like to be there]. 

We have seen the way one particular group have totally failed to integrate in Europe (& many other regions). That group has been responsible for some of the worst terrorist atrocities in France, Belgium, the UK and the US. 

The colonies were not particularly benevolent and France did not reap too much sympathy in Algeria.  But it offered refuge to so many Muslims from Africa. Since no good act goes unpunished, the Algerian immigrants have done everything they can to resist integration and remain segregated.  

Compared to the immigration from Muslim places, in the US we should count our blessings that the 10 million or so undocumented immigrants come from Mexico and Latin America.  They are all Christians, and mostly good people. But this opinion is not shared by the Republicans, especially this Donald Trump.  

Little ridiculous to try to compare tourists being killed on holiday with people killed in a War whether you agree with the war or not.

are you trying to tell us that one death is more or less tragic than another one?

People usually do not choose to be at war , war comes to them. One of my closest friends  arrived in Ankara for business yesterday morning , took a nap in the hotel to be woken to a sound of  low flying aircraft and no so distant bombs. Thanks to technology we know at least that she is safe

So what is your point.  Dead is dead?  I guess that is correct but people who are killed by a terrorist attacking people in stable country and a beach community are not the same as enemy combatants  in whatever country that has been at war with both its own citizens and outside groups .

Do you think I feel sorry for the millions of people killed in Japan during WWII . They brought it upon themselves .  Sorry but I do not just like I don't feel sorry for millions of Hitlers Gestapo Germans that were killed .  I feel sorry for the 6 million Jews killed by the Germans .

If you don't get the difference I don't care !

Guest cdnmatt

Have to admit, if someone shows up with an assault rifle and begins spraying bullets, I don't think 40yo Somchai with a baton is going to be of much help.

For what it's worth, does any one have evidence that millions of people were killed in Japan during WW2?

Total Japanese casualties were about 2.2~2.3 million, of which 500~800,000 were civilian.  Considering most of the military engagements were overseas, how do we get to millions dying in Japan ?

Compare with about 8 million in China.

Japan paid a remarkably small but well deserved price for starting it.

The 21st century problem is dealing with religious extremism.  Following several centuries of conflict between Islamist groups and others, allowing millions of them to move into Europe in the 20th and 21st centuries was not clever.

The 21st century problem is dealing with religious extremism.  Following several centuries of conflict between Islamist groups and others, allowing millions of them to move into Europe in the 20th and 21st centuries was not clever.

I think it the same like in the beginning of 20th century - growing inequality. Then it was feeding communists , not it seems it does the same to a religious extreme

I think it the same like in the beginning of 20th century - growing inequality. Then it was feeding communists , not it seems it does the same to a religious extreme

That has NOTHING to do with it.

France is about as far to the left as you can be whilst still having some form of market economy.  If they had any more wealth redistribution, there would be even more entrepreneurs leaving France.

People in France and other European countries enjoy some of the most generous welfare benefits anywhere in the world & considerably more generous than 50 or 100 years ago.

Also, these generous benefits are paid out to people of all faiths, yet it is only the jihadists that cause trouble.