Guest ryanasia

Trip report Bali

Guest ryanasia

Was back to Bali for the first time in around ten years. I have to be honest i didn't really enjoy the gay scene the first time and felt it was the same or worse this trip. The couple of bars are over run by drag shows and there are only a couple of places to go. 

The selection of guys for me wasn't great but if you like more macho types or hunky it might be for you. I am a twink lover and find it pretty lacking in that regard compared to Thailand. There are one or two diamonds in the rough but few and far between. 

I don't mean to sound like a downer Bali is a beautiful place to visit and has a lot to offer but as far as the gay scene if this is one of the higher priorities on your to do list you may be disappointed. I also found the boys sort of pester you in the bars even if you do your best to not make eye contact or show any interest. 

One night looking at the bars was enough for me. The gay beach was pretty dead as well and not much to report there. In that area is a small gay guesthouse called zenformen. The owners were really friendly and they have a small pool and the rooms are small but looked nice enough. They are a good source of information should you happen to be in the area. 

The pool is in a courtyard and has paintings of naked men with big cocks on the walls around the seating area. i am guessing if you had some company with you that the pool could probably become a very worthwhile way of having some small private parties. 

I already had a pool villa in Seminyak that was very lovely so my partner and I just had a staycation as we aren't really big into the beach. There are some fantastic restaurants around and I recommend the Slippery Stone in particular for a small spurge. The settings inside are like a Greek palace the place is pretty incredible. It isn't cheap but it isn't over the top expensive either. It is Greek food they serve and i would get the mixed grill and let the owner recommend things. He knows he to do the real deal and all of his stuff is pretty good.

So as you can see my rant about a restaurant is about as long as my thoughts about the entire gay scene. Lovely place and worthwhile destination but bring a Thai boy in speedos and rent a pool villa. The architecture of some of the villas i stayed in is some of the best you will find in the world and good value for the price. The Balinese are very hospitable and I was pampered very well in my week in Bali. 

Most of the villas will actually have a cook prepare breakfast in your room made to order and I really enjoyed that touch.  The eating scene in Seminyak is quite good as well.

Not much else to add we just stayed in the villa, lounged in the pool ordered Japanese snacks from the restaurant to our room and picked a new place each night for dinner. Sounds boring on paper but it was a hell of a good time. I like Bali much more than many parts of Thailand gay scene aside.

I spent one night in a villa near Ubud which was lovely but a tad too isolated. Again if you bring your own company maybe it would be great but if you aren't driving staying in an isolated place however how beautiful it is may get costly ordering all your food and drinks from your hotel. 

I found the price of car with drivers to be relatively expensive for distances travelled. i think Bali is a place to go with a decent budget i wouldn't want to slum it. Alcohol and wine is rather pricey as well, beer is still cheap. 

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any. 

I went to Bali with my partner June 2015.

We had a great guide for several days.

He asked us if we knew what we wanted to see, we didn't so we asked him for recommendations. He came up with several itineries from which we choose four full days which were varied and we really enjoyed.

He is gay, but similar to Mose's business sex is not on offer (unless perhaps you are a great deal younger and fitter than me).

He speaks fluent English and French.

He is a genuine nice guy and was a fantastic guide.

If anyone would like contact details please pm me.

I was there a couple of years ago. I agree about the "scene" but thought the apps seemed to have a lot of guys. I met one moneyboy on Grindr. Not a great experience.

The Seminyak scene wasn't for me. Music in the bars was ear-splittingly loud. I didn't stay long. 

I enjoyed Ubud much more. I stayed more or less in town so wandering around in the evening was easy. The hospitality was spectacular. I booked my trip through a mainstream travel agency so I had a guide/driver most days and also went to Yogyakarta which I loved and recommend. Lots of beautiful scenery both in Bali and in Yogya.

Go for the culture and beautiful sights.

I will be on my way to Bali via Bangkok (2 nights at Le Meridien) early December but can't quite decide on hotels on Expedia or villas by people I can't check prior to going. I do not want to get scammed (!) For me the beach is important and one day visit for the temples and other sights would be nice. Will contact Dani of Siamroads for that.

But any suggestions about hotels would be appreciated or things to visit too

I hope i'll have a bit more enthusiasm than Ryanasia once i am actually there!!!!

Guest ryanasia

Somebody pm me about the pool villas I stayed in so I decided to share my impressions here. Here is my short list of pool villas all in or around Seminyak. All of them are close or with in a short shuttle of the main eat street, gay bars or beach. All are villas with private pools there are no regular hotel rooms in this list.

http://www.theonevilla.com/index.html

The villas here are superb but the location is a little away from the action but they offer free shuttles. One of the nicer villas in this group price is a bit higher than others. Architecturally speaking the design is the best of the traditional villas on this list. The villa's pool is one of the better. Gets marked down a little for location but service and everything else it top notch. 

http://www.equilibriahotels.com/

These are modern and get rave reviews. The service is unsurpassed and if you like modern these are great. Near the main eat street. Also has common pool area and full service bar restaurant. The two story floor plan is nice. Get the waterfall villa not the normal pool villa if you choose this one. This is one of the more impressive ones with a price to match. full butler service no request is too much too ask, you will be hard pressed to find a place with more impeccable service. The winner if you want sheer pampering around the clock. 

http://mayasayang.com/about.php

Great location just behind eat street, price is good and staff are lovely. Villa has large pool and nice garden atmosphere. The main room is open air. The villa area is large. I liked this one because price of room service and beer was very reasonable. Lacks any real lobby or common spaces. This is just a nice serviced villa. Price wise and location this is probably the best.

I have a soft spot for this one because of it's tranquil garden setting and the Japanese restaurant attached that brings you yakitori, sushi and other assorted snacks for a very decent price day and night. 

http://www.theelysian.com/

Very nice villa that is completely closed but big windows. Like the Maya and some other villas could use some updating. Lost some points because location is okay to the beach but not so much for places to eat around it. Restaurant and room service is good but expensive. The common pool with day beds is a nice feature. The villa living area and bedroom are attached and completely enclosed for those that may prefer that style to the open air living plans most villas offer. Better for those that are worried about mosquitoes.

All of these have kitchens and they will bring you breakfast to your room or cook it inside the room. I love pool villas and Bali is still relatively cheap in this regard. Most of these would cost double in Phuket or Samui. 

I am making another trip to Bali and the Gili islands in January and will report back. 

I think there is a lot to be said for looking at a climate chart when fixing up a holiday.

Central Thailand & Cambodia are mild and dry around December.

Bali has it's wettest months in December & January.

When Pattaya has it's wettest month in September, Bali is drier, with 1/7th of the rain it gets in December.

Guest ryanasia

I think there is a lot to be said for looking at a climate chart when fixing up a holiday.

Central Thailand & Cambodia are mild and dry around December.

Bali has it's wettest months in December & January.

When Pattaya has it's wettest month in September, Bali is drier, with 1/7th of the rain it gets in December.

For me the chart revolves around prices more than weather. I am in the area already so it isn't s disaster if it gets a little wet on holiday. I get what you are saying but for example a resort I really like in Phuket is $139 until November. Nov-Dec $259 and Jan-Feb $288. I love the place but I just can't justify going to islands in Thailand when they raise the prices so much. $139 is actually a good deal if you can accept it might rain a bit. 

Last time I went to Bali was April when it is hotter than hell in Thailand. It rained everyday but not all the time. Bali is around 27-30 degrees year round so always pretty pleasant at least according to the interwebz. 

I looked on Samui and Phuket for a similar villa as I am getting on Bali and Gili for over Xmas and New years eve and the prices are sky high. Similar ones are in the range of around 34,000 - 50,000 Baht a night in Thailand during that period and I just can't justify it. I probably can't afford it either if I am being honest with myself. lol

I don't disagree with you about planning around weather but price is also a big concern for many people. So the formula that works for me is i find places in Thailand that are tolerable in the low season. Koh Samet and Pattaya for example are perfectly fine this time of year. When our most expensive season hits I look for alternative places.

There are bargains around and you can usually find something that has a micro-climate. It is a trade off of value for money and over all experience for me. 

I'll go to Bali next week with friends and we stay at Dyana Villas which is right behind gay street (Jl Dhyana Pura), only 200m to the gay bars. 600m or so to the beach. They are older villas, according to some tripadvisor reports a bit dated and slightly worn, but  my local Bali friend told me they are still very good. We chose mainly for the location. I don't care if a little bit of paint comes off some walls if the overall ambiance and service are nice. Bookable via booking.com, by the way, so no risk of scam. Also, they were very responsive, texting me right away after the reservation through the booking.com app, inquiring about flight details and offering airport transfer, which at only 200k rupiah I gladly accepted, coz if I remember correctly a regular taxi from the airport was not much heaper at 150k last time I went 2 years ago. 

Can report back when I'm back.

Guest ryanasia

I'll go to Bali next week with friends and we stay at Dyana Villas which is right behind gay street (Jl Dhyana Pura), only 200m to the gay bars. 600m or so to the beach. They are older villas, according to some tripadvisor reports a bit dated and slightly worn, but  my local Bali friend told me they are still very good. We chose mainly for the location. I don't care if a little bit of paint comes off some walls if the overall ambiance and service are nice. Bookable via booking.com, by the way, so no risk of scam. Also, they were very responsive, texting me right away after the reservation through the booking.com app, inquiring about flight details and offering airport transfer, which at only 200k rupiah I gladly accepted, coz if I remember correctly a regular taxi from the airport was not much heaper at 150k last time I went 2 years ago. 

Can report back when I'm back.

You will find that most villas in Bali are a bit dated. This is not the exception to the rule. Usually it is going to be the bathroom and kitchen that is a bit tired. Any villa itself next to a pool is going to be nice whatever the case. Most of the time the kitchens are pretty simple even when they are new by western standards. The fittings used in Bali are sub standard even when they are brand new. As long as the furniture is comfortable and the view to the pool is nice everything else is secondary. 

The transfer from the airprt is a fairly good deal. Who wants to wait around and haggle? 

Let us know what you think of the villa I came very close to booking that exact place. It looks like it is pretty good value for money as far as villas go. Enjoy!

Question about the beach: which is best or most crowded (...with cute guys!) the one by the W hotel or the one by Double 6 beach?

The one a bit past W hotel in the direction of Canggu. You have a beach restaurant called Cantina and Warung Pantai (Batubelig), quite some gay guys spend their time on the beach here. Both have sun beds for rent also.

I wonder what that "very cheap prepaid rate" was

might as well disclose it as it was publicly available on booking.com. The rate was US$ 260 per night for the villa, which may sound expensive, BUT:

- the regular rate was I think about $100 higher

- the villa has 2 bedrooms, so it is only $130 per room, and if you's stay with 2 people per room it works out to only $75 per person per night

- breakfast, cooked to order daily inside the villa by the maid, is included, too

That I think is cheap for what you get, a very large comfortable villa with a nice garden and pool, where you can actually spend an entire day (you wouldn't spend a day in a hotel room) and where you have complete privacy, i.e. can sunbathe and swim nude if you are so inclined

Guest ryanasia

might as well disclose it as it was publicly available on booking.com. The rate was US$ 260 per night for the villa, which may sound expensive, BUT:

- the regular rate was I think about $100 higher

- the villa has 2 bedrooms, so it is only $130 per room, and if you's stay with 2 people per room it works out to only $75 per person per night

- breakfast, cooked to order daily inside the villa by the maid, is included, too

That I think is cheap for what you get, a very large comfortable villa with a nice garden and pool, where you can actually spend an entire day (you wouldn't spend a day in a hotel room) and where you have complete privacy, i.e. can sunbathe and swim nude if you are so inclined

This is a normal price. Don't feel bad about it, compared to what you will find in Thailand it is very cheap actually.

One thing for sure, you place yourself right beside the gay bars of Bali with "cyber travel" GPS of GR and you get a lot of messages with offers and Quickshare requests. And not all money boys or so they say!

Naturally it is a bit difficult to know for sure when sitting in your living room on the other side of the globe but it is quite interesting conversations sometimes!

...and it open doors for when overthere!

Guest ryanasia

There is a place called zen4men. You will see their rainbow flag right at the beach. You can walk by the "gay" beach with out noticing otherwise. If you get to that point walk down the little alley and say hi to them. They have a great little courtyard and a private pool. All rooms open to the pool and for the money they charge it is an ideal set up. 

I just opened their website and it seems they have managed to fulfill their dream and make something on Lombok. Anyway if you get down near the beach look for these guys and they have a great wealth of information about gay Bali. For a pretty nice pool side room is or was around $50 if you are on a budget with breakfast included.

http://zen4menasia.com/location/

Guest ryanasia

Gay Bali has not improved unfortunately since my last visit. Bali Joe's charges the same or more than some of the five star hotels for drag shows that are simply pathetic compared to Thailand. It isn't my thing in the first place but at least it is done well once in awhile in Thailand.

If you like twinks forget about Indonesia, if you like sea turtles and beaches then Indonesia has Thailand beat by a country mile. The water is clear in comparison to the murky green water that is Thailand. These days if you scuba dive Thailand looks like a toilet that should be flushed. Before anybody judges that comment I did my divemasters course in Phuket a decade ago. The waters around Thailand are simply not healthy.

Getting back to Bali and surrounding islands, bring a boy and a bunch of money. The price of drinking here can become extortionate. The gay bars are about as empty as I have ever seen them. So although they are slightly cheaper than Siloam and they actually make an effort to pour a real cocktail, I can not find the value in them.

The accommodation I have had the privilege to stay in is beyond anything Thailand offers and for less money. There is no question about this. I am comparing this to somewhere like Phuket which has doubled prices now that it is high season there.

I like the architecture, style and flair over here much more than anything that I have seen in Thailand. That being said you can't find a twink here to save your life. This is a place for Australians on a honeymoon is my impression.

Would I come here again? Probably not. It is becoming very expensive and you can see it isn't getting better next year. If seeing some places that aren't completely destroyed is a priority for you than you might like it here. They don't give out plastic bags for free for example.

Transport is expensive especially between islands so moving around has a cost, it is similar to the Philippines in this sense. If you are in the area it might be worth a look if you want some style and relaxation, and already in Asia. Nice trip over all and great place for me and my partner to spend New Years. The nature and atmosphere is great. The boys are not great looking.

That's my take on it anyway.

They don't give out plastic bags for free for example.

It is forbidden by law in many countries already: people take a lot of bags when bags are free, and that is bad for ecology

Starting in 2016, Environment Ministry enforced retailers in 23 cities across the archipelago (mini-market, hypermarket, and supermarket) to charge consumers for plastic bags between Rp.200 and Rp.5,000 for each bag including degradable plastic bags. And money which came from tax are used by retailers as public funds for waste management alongside non-governmental organizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_lightweight_plastic_bags#Indonesia

http://jakartaglobe.id/news/indonesian-cities-now-charging-shoppers-plastic-bags/