Guest Qualityonly

Malaysia Hotel - Near Gay Bangkok Scene

Guest Qualityonly

Went with a nice boy to Bangkok a few nights ago, just to get away from Pattaya.

I was going to stay in the BBB inn in Patpong but he suggested Malaysia hotel and I know you guys have spoke about it in the past but couldnt recall good or bad.

We departed in a mini bus 100 b each to BKk from Pattaya Wat Chai which took us to Victory Monument.

Grabbed a Uber to Malaysia Hotel I thnk it was around 250 b or so, glad to see Uber in Bangkok.

The Malaysia hotel cost 823 baht ( Wi Fi is 100 baht extra ! ) on the Booking.com app so wasnt too expensive.

Its walking distance to Lumpini Park and Sky train.

No joiners feee but the receptionist checked the boys ID we brought back .

24 hour restaurant cafe downstairs and not overly expensive.

It quite a distance from Malaysia to BTS but MRT Lumpini is much closer and walkable.

I agree with your assessmnet and over all that hotel may be one of best values for money in BKK, only problem being it's quite a bit from Silom and Suriwong so taxi/tuk-tuk cost must be factored in and it mitigates savings somewhat but still 300 cheaper than BBB Inn which in turn has an advantage of being 60 seconds walk from soi Twilight  . 

Guest abang1961

I used to like the Sathorn area way back in the 90s but not so much nowadays as I prefer Silom is an overall better deal.

Malaysia Hotel has lost her charms as newer hotels (of the same room rate) mushroom in the Silom area.

The previous interesting (some say annoying) selling point was the multitude of cute Thai boys.

They have all gone and the lobby is no longer as lively as it used to be so fifteen years ago.

I stayed at the Malaysia once and hated it. Noisy, tired and depressing decor. This was 20 years ago, so maybe it's better now. But two years ago a boy I knew and liked was murdered there, so I doubt I could ever set foot in the place. Pinnacle up the street is a bit more expensive but much nicer. I got a room there a couple of years ago on agoda for 1000. Very nice open air (but small) pool on the roof.

Guest abang1961

I'm Chinese and I do believe in geomancy (fengshui).

I had an eerie feeling when I stepped into the Pinnacle some years back.

Don't ask me how and why, but that place just give me the chill.

The negative power there was just too evident.

Now that I know a murder was committed in Hotel Malaysia, it is definitely a good-bye to Sathorn.

I have no other reasons to visit this neighbourhood except for Babylon.

I'm Chinese and I do believe in geomancy (fengshui).

I had an eerie feeling when I stepped into the Pinnacle some years back.

Don't ask me how and why, but that place just give me the chill.

The negative power there was just too evident.

Now that I know a murder was committed in Hotel Malaysia, it is definitely a good-bye to Sathorn.

I have no other reasons to visit this neighbourhood except for Babylon.

Try continuing past Babylon through the pedestrian gate. The Suan Phlu neighborhood is fun and thriving with great street food and a couple of decent hotels. I enjoyed staying at MyBed, quiet and clean for B800. It's not near the Silom scene but there are loads of boys on line in the area looking for customers.

How about the Feng Shui of the Malaysia Hotel?

The infamous Charles Sobhraj hung out at the Malaysia Hotel.  He often picked up his victims at The Blue Fox cafe opposite (now the 7-11).

His story would not be conducive to any place having a good vibe.

Google him or check him here    http://www.vice.com/read/its-a-secret-0000450-v21n9

Also the foyer of the hotel was featured in the movie "Good Morning Vietnam".

and a seat of Prince massage

I didn't know Prince was there in "my" neighborhood. My husband and I have a condo in Suphalai, alas rented now, so I can't use it. But I still love to visit the 'hood. Cheap Thai style coffee at my friend Suwanna's coffee stand. She is an outgoing fun lady and you can sit there with your brew and watch the parade of office boys and construction workers on their way to work.

I agree with a lot of what is said about Malaysia, it is very friendly, I have stayed a couple of times in their Premier wing which is a separate building at the end of the pool, the rooms in that wing (or room I always had) were spacious and comfy but certainly not luxurious, cant recall the price but was fair value the one I always chose came with a spacious patio area overlooking the pool, and the pool was pleasant but nothing special - certainly not up to the charm of the Rose hotel or others in Bangkok. No issue in bringing a friend back, their simple café place is fine for a light snack and open 24/7 but it is a bit of a walk to the main road then an easy motorbike taxi ride in to Silom area.

I think a decent option if you don't want to spend too much and a pool is important - I have switched back to Tarntawan place again - but will see how it goes with change of ownership now!

I noticed from booking.com that some presumably straight couple was disgusted of open gay kissing and touching in Malaysia hotel. :) I have never been in this hotel but in a way it would be nice that you can be at breakfast with a boy without other people (families) staring at you... And at least as an idea it is nice that you can share some thoughts of boys with other like-minded people. Or share a boy... ;)

I was breakfasting and dining with my boys quite a few times at Malaysia's  cafe and never had any problems with other guests staring us not to mention snarky comments so don't worry about that.

If somebody is frustrated to see two guy kissing at Malaysia I guess just noting it at hotel review site is his only  avenue to vent it. 

The Malaysia Hotel is a gay friendly hotel and quite popular with gay farang.  As for public kissing, there's kissing and there's kissing.  A quick kiss when people greet or depart is one thing, but if people are publicly making out, maybe I'm a prude but that's where I draw the line. 

That goes for heterosexual couples too.  If you're staying at a hotel, at least have the courtesy to wait until you're in the privacy of your room.  If you want others to watch you having sex, sell tickets . . .

The Malaysia Hotel is a gay friendly hotel and quite popular with gay farang.  As for public kissing, there's kissing and there's kissing.  A quick kiss when people greet or depart is one thing, but if people are publicly making out, maybe I'm a prude but that's where I draw the line. 

That goes for heterosexual couples too.  If you're staying at a hotel, at least have the courtesy to wait until you're in the privacy of your room.  If you want others to watch you having sex, sell tickets . . .

I don't know if it's a generational thing or not I am too close to 70 for comfort and I am completely with you on this, a hug or a quick kiss is ok anything more passionate straight or gay is embarassing..

There are a few both gay and hetro who enjoy mild exhibitionism and maybe I am one, but kissing or fondling my boyfriend in a public space like a hotel dining room is something I would not do. However it would be OK for example on the Dongtan gay beach or maybe in a bar in BT Pattaya.

It's easy to loose self control whilst on holiday and under the influence of drink.

Yes it would be a Beamon leap to extend a public kiss to fucking.

I also do not have any need to kiss or fondle a boy in public areas. Nor do I especially like witnessing it done by others. But I guess I would feel comfortable to have a boy in an envinronment like that as nobody would pay unwanted attention.

As hotel is known to be gayfriendly, are boys also sticking around for customers? Or has the business, so to say, gone to apps like Grindr or Hornet? Personally I don't like going to bars although at times you can't avoid them either. As I don't like to drink, I hate being "forced" to buy drinks and usually want out asap.

But I don't complain as that's the way system is. Maybe some day they will get so much improved standard of living that bar business melts away as it has in Western Europe. Obviously foreign hookers are still around here but busibess is done mostly through net as I understand and not in bars, many of them having closed.

It's easy to lose self control whilst on holiday and under the influence of drink.

I know a solution to that.  Drink less.

As I don't like to drink, I hate being "forced" to buy drinks and usually want out asap.

I'm not much of a drinker either, but you can always stick to soft drinks or fruit juices rather than alcoholic drinks. 

Personally I don't like going to bars although at times you can't avoid them either. As I don't like to drink, I hate being "forced" to buy drinks and usually want out asap.

By definition bars are place to drink especially alcoholic drinks although water and juices are available. If speaking of host/beer bars and go-go bars a customer is expected to drink and pay for something not just freeload and enjoy the amenities. 

Anyone going into Starbucks should expect to buy a drink and it's the same in a host bar.   

They sell water, so not wanting to touch alcohol is no excuse.  

As for fondling in public, well I think that's not really necessary & only acceptable in the kind of place where both parties would not be embarrassed, typically one of the Sunee gogo bars (Eros, or the old Happy Boys bar). 

I have no problems with bars. Usually I just avoid them as there is plenty of boys in apps for me. Just wondered if there would be boys available near Malaysia hotel in the lobby or near streets. But maybe those days are gone.

I know a solution to that.  Drink less.

I'm not much of a drinker either, but you can always stick to soft drinks or fruit juices rather than alcoholic drinks. 

actually quite a few bars are serving tea or coffee , just ask .

If that's  a case , much better option than gulping sugary drinks or excessive quantities of alcohol. Bar has it's money and one's liver has well deserved rest