paulfort

Entertainment following initial 30 days of being toned down?

Whilst I fully appreciate that Thailand remains in a state of mourning for a year following the sad loss of their beloved king, I wondered if following the initial period whilst the entertinment venues were asked to "tone it down" for a month are things a bit more back to normal on an evening now, with for example some music outside the bars, the lights back fully on and the bars staying open beyond midnight?

I arrived in Pattaya on Thursday evening which I think was the end of the month's mourning. I'm staying in Boystown where things are normal I.e. Bars and gogo's open with loud music and flashing lights.

Walking about town during the day I do notice a small proportion of Thais wearing black and many business have tributes to his majesty. In the Royal Garden shopping centre there is an exhibition showing various episodes during his life which is open for a few weeks which I intend to visit.

last night I offed a boy from Cupidol and took him for a walk down Walking Street. At 2 am it was packed with visitors and it looked like the gogo's were doing a roaring trade, although I had no interest in going in. The noise in BT ceased about 3 am.

So in summary - as far as entertainment is concerned it's COMPLETELY BACK TO NORMAL.

Guest abang1961

Well as the saying goes "The show must go on".

So despite the GREAT loss to the KINGdom, it is imperative that the economy cannot remain stalled.

I'm so glad to hear that life moves on as it has always been .. as I am just 10 days shy of my "another"  trip to Thailand.

It would have to be my 3rd this year and this time, I am meeting up with a fellow forummer.  Both he and I are very much into g-strings, thongs et al.  As such, be warned..Dongtan Beach and Boyztown..

Walking about town during the day I do notice a small proportion of Thais wearing black and many business have tributes to his majesty.

In Bangkok, (almost) EVERYONE is still wearing black or b&w. I haven't checked out much in the way of bars yet, only went to one music/dance bar in Ekkamai last night, which kept running until an astonishing and pleasantly surprising 4:15am. G.O.D. has reopened and said on it's facebook page they'd be open until 3:30am Friday night, so almost normal again too. 

In addition to public buildings many many bigger business such as hotels as well as all shopping malls are draped black and white which I presume will remain for the full year. 

Here BKK-arrived on 9/11. Only since yesterday I've actually heard some of that Lao/Isany look thoong music being played-not too loud, on streets. Even ads etc were in B&W only untill a few days ago. Have noted no difference however in the inside in massageshops etc.

There seems to be an other unexpected bonus (for me): in the past as soon as Loy Kratong had passed, one would hear bells jingling for a red-nosed rudolf in any of the 100s of full AC-superstores etc. Not heard that yet for now!

For a big (and well needed) clean-up around the Sanam Luang mourning site this will be closed and noone admitted on 1+2/12-even the Grand Palace will be closed those days for real.

(on the side: wonder a bit how SaranRom boys-right beside that area) have adapted to the situation, too much rain lately to go for a walk there.

Guest abang1961

In Singapore, we had a similar experience when the first Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew left us in March 2015.  The mourning period was 7 days and like all patriotic locals, my students and I lined the street for hours to get into the Parliament House for a glimpse of the coffin he was rested in.   I know Dec 5 is His birthday and perhaps thing will stay sombre for that day (oh no, I will be in Pattaya.. perhaps a black g-string or jockstrap).  I have total respect for the Thais and this outward pouring of emotions is VERY justify and appropriate for someone they loved dearly.  

For a big (and well needed) clean-up around the Sanam Luang mourning site this will be closed and noone admitted on 1+2/12-even the Grand Palace will be closed those days for real.

The announced reason for the Grand Palace being closed those days (Dec 1-2) is for a special merit-making ceremony for the late King.  The no-secret special meeting of Parliament around that time and other recent announcements might lead one to speculate that the closing might also be related to the formal naming and ascension of Rama X.  

Gogos and massages confirmed back to normal during my current visit which started november 21. Outfits not changed except some were black wristband.

The Sofitel gay pool party on Sat 26 was cancelled (

I had expected Soi Twilight to be fully back to normal when I arrived this week. But as Gerefan has just mention, it's not.

Though I think it is close to normal. Outdoor music is toned down. This is good for conversation though. Indoor music is full Blast

Shows are toned down. Less high energy dance numbers and haven't seen any fuck shows. Lady boys shows at DreamBoys has been toned done a bit. There is an Increase in boys on stage and customers.

I think Hot Male and Banana Bar closing between 1 and 1:30 has surprised many customers. Wasn't long ago you could stay till 4am.

I've been told the Soi is under a 100 day mourning period. Only 100 days will tell.

On the other side of Surawong, Screw Boys was packed for the 0100 show which included a full on fuck show with the participants then fucking amongst the audience and requesting tips. Still heaving when I left at 0145 and I was told they stay open until 0300. Perhaps punters move over to Screw Boys when the lights go off in Twilight at 0100?

I should have caveated that I normally head off with selected company around midnight and until then no change in sou Twilight tomy eyes and ears. Sorry if I mislead anyone and thanks to the night-owls for correcting.

Thanks Vinapu for your clarification, when last there in October over the sad period of their beoved King passing away it was a bit depresing that the "hot male" bar area we all love, nearby bars and Maxi's restaurant had to ensure they were closed and no drinks after midnight, sounds like getting back to near normal so I  cant wait to return in March!

Guest Chicago

Glad it is going back "close to normal" as i am leaving for the airport in one hour for the 26 hours ride to Bangkok!

Where are you traveling from and what airline do you use that it takes 26 hours to get to BKK?

The time indicated is not a flight duration. It is calculated from the door of the house to the door of the hotel room so includes all traveling to airport, waiting time to board and layover time too. Leaving on Air China from Montreal via Beijing to Bangkok.

Actual flight time are 13.5 hr to Beijing. 2 hours layover and 5 hours to Bangkok.

I decided to leave earlier from house too anxious of waiting so its beer time in the meantime! Good way to fall asleep on the plane!

Tonight (Sunday) and tomorrow are going to be quiet nights. Kings Birthday.

I stopped by Hot Male tonight . Maybe 5 customers. They hired 5 Vietnamese starting last night, to break up their Thai only policy.

X-Boys has someone for everybody. Show is to long at close to 2 hours. But some good boys.

I went into Fresh Boys as show started and only 2 customers. Really quiet, but I did off and old friend. When we left, 1 customer.

DreamBoys still has best selection of boys. Some real hotties. I didn't go in tonight, but talked to a friend that stopped by and he said was quiet there.

It's a holiday weekend and Bangkok is quiet. Suspect things will be fine by Tuesday.

Where are the cutest twinks gogo bar these days? Hot male, Fresh Boys, Dreamboys, X-Size (or is it X-Boys) or Jupiter2002?

You won't find twinks in Jupiter these days at least when I checked in October. Jupiter boys are all muscular and fine specimen of a male beauty.