Guest samebb

Good Breakfasts in Bangkok?

Any advice on where to head for a good breakfast in Bangkok? 

A hotel is even good if they allow non-guests! 
If it's on the Silom BTS line, even better!

Thanks

Guest abang1961

The likes and dislikes of a food joint is subjective to one's taste.

The other factor is the budget too.... from the humble street stall to the more expensive buffet spread at leading hotels..

I know Dusit Thani has a rather good array of food offered.

This is my reference...

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailand/articles/the-8-best-brunch-and-breakfast-spots-in-silom-bangkok/

Bon Appetit...

Le Meridien breakfast is crazy expensive but it is a great spread with lots of everything, and I recall particularly good pastries.

There is a cute little place called the Hen and Egg on Langsuan a short walk from the Rajadamri BTS station.  Nice staff and food  is fine (actually better than fine).  Not quite Le Meridien.  https://www.facebook.com/thehenandtheegg/  If you walk down Soi Mahatlekluang 3 - one of the BTS exits - there is a connecting alley of sorts next to the Villa Market that connects directly to Langsuan and it is just to your right (i.e., towards Lumpini).

Stickmanweekly.com I think often reports on pubs for the girl gogo bar expat crowd that offer moderately priced "English breakfast" spots.  Needless to say not my scene, so can't really offer rec.

Foodland on soi next to nightmarket

In patpong nice inexpensive option. I am

Staying in le meridien but will not eat

There.

I'm great fan of Foodland breakfasts, American one can be had for 62 baht between 5.30 and 9  but there's nothing fancy.

Not sure this is what OP is looking for but as far as I can see that's great option and most of my Bangkok breakfasts were eaten there since I rarely stay in hotels with breakfast provided.

I agree with Orson that the buffet breakfast is good at Le Meridien.

But this is what I wrote their management when they requested my comments and review;

"understandably the quantity and quality offered justify that price, but since nobody can eat even a small piece of everything in the buffet unless eating all day (!) it might be better to lower the offering with a smaller price tag."

In any case, the next day, the breakfast was at Foodland for 11% of the Meridien price and it was enough to get me through dinner!

I agree with Orson that the buffet breakfast is good at Le Meridien.

But this is what I wrote their management when they requested my comments and review;

"understandably the quantity and quality offered justify that price, but since nobody can eat even a small piece of everything in the buffet unless eating all day (!) it might be better to lower the offering with a smaller price tag."

In any case, the next day, the breakfast was at Foodland for 11% of the Meridien price and it was enough to get me through dinner!

Unfortunately a lot of "destination" hotels try to distinguish themselves by throwing on over-the-top buffets.  

It used to be that it was relatively easy to get promotion packages from Le Meridien Bangkok that had breakfast included.  That was how I got to sample the fare when I used to stay there.  I don't know if they still offer those packages.

Different people have different expectations for breakfast, both food and the price.

Some like a fry up. Some like Asian food. I prefer fruit, yoghurt, toast and some good quality fresh coffee.

Although scrambled eggs & tomato on toast is a good second choice, which I get at Gafae in Pattaya. I haven't found an equivalent in Bangkok, so it's often coffee and a croissant.

The one place I liked in Silom (near Sala Saeng) has closed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Going to hit a few of these places in the next week or so. I will report back! Kuppadeli and Foodland sound perfect. I am certainly not looking for hugely expensive hotel breakfasts. If I was on vacation sure.. but I am not!

Thanks again.

Consider Dean and DeLuca, several convenient locations.

they are actually about to open a new branch right next to Saladaeng BTS Station, in the side of Silom Complex. I drove past it several times recently and it looked they might open within a few weeks now. If I remember correctly it's on the corner of Silom Soi 1, which is that small soi (so small it looks more like a large driveway than a soi) which at night has some massage guys sitting in front of it

Regarding the Foodland counter western breakfast, this only concerns the Pattaya location as I have never eaten at a Bangkok location; don't. Pattaya location calls itself "Cheap but Good", it's cheap but it ain't good. Sort of like the Boat cafe opposite BT, but worse. In California, prisoners would probably riot over being served food like this and some judge would rule for them as being cruel and unnecessary punishment. ☺️

Regarding the Foodland counter western breakfast, this only concerns the Pattaya location as I have never eaten at a Bangkok location; don't. Pattaya location calls itself "Cheap but Good", it's cheap but it ain't good. Sort of like the Boat cafe opposite BT, but worse. In California, prisoners would probably riot over being served food like this and some judge would rule for them as being cruel and unnecessary punishment. ☺️

Bangkok Patpong location also calls itself "Cheap but Good" and while as I indicated in my post above breakfast in nothing fancy  your last sentence is an absolutely exaggeration ,  me being alive  and well serving as back up of what I say with at least 50-60 breakfasts devoured there in the last  4 years.

You are right that Boat bakery opposite of Boyztown is sort of similar, again nothing fancy but  even judge can eat there before tossing out prisoner's complains    for lack of substance.

Bangkok Patpong location also calls itself "Cheap but Good" and while as I indicated in my post above breakfast in nothing fancy  your last sentence is an absolutely exaggeration ,  me being alive  and well serving as back up of what I say with at least 50-60 breakfasts devoured there in the last  4 years.

You are right that Boat bakery opposite of Boyztown is sort of similar, again nothing fancy but  even judge can eat there before tossing out prisoner's complains    for lack of substance.

As stated, my comment applied only to the Pattaya location on Pattaya Klang, the Thai food there is okay, BTW.

Not suggesting that you are a low life.

But you're happy with a basic meal, as you point out in posts above.

I used to eat breakfast at the Boat bakery now and then.

It is OK. You cannot expect fancy for 70 odd baht.

But I got turned off the place by the surly service.

Guest abang1961

I'm a cheapskate and I'm good at sourcing for good bargains in PAttaya..

During my recent trips, I discovered several cheaper options..

- THB 80 for a haircut.  The shop is situated along the road leading to Walking Street.

- THB 150 for a hour of foot massage at the massage shops behind Pattaya Platinum.

- THB 150 for a buffet breakfast spread (buy 10 tickets at THB 1100)

- THB 250 for a buffet dinner spread (buy 10 tickets at THB 1800)

At these prices, the damage is so small if it goes wrong. The tiny picture of me in a pink pouch was taken the day after the haircut.

Just say Number 2..and the cut is decently good.

...Boat bakery

But I got turned off the place by the surly service.....

Surly is a nice word for what goes on there!

You may be correct but I always eat breakfast because I'm hungry so tend to overlook those things. At least they are fast with food delivery. Smile I get from other boys later. 

Not suggesting that you are a low life.

But you're happy with a basic meal, as you point out in posts above.

I used to eat breakfast at the Boat bakery now and then.

It is OK. You cannot expect fancy for 70 odd baht.

But I got turned off the place by the surly service.

Hahaha. The Boat. I do like the food especially their Chicken with Holy Basil/chilli.

I don't understand why the waiters are so grumpy! Never a smile even with a big tip