gerefan

Vietnamese Boys

Some recommendations: I use google maps so I know where I come from, where I'm going, and where I am (not foolproof, there can be U-turns, one-way streets, buses that don't go the shortest way). I try to be as independent as possible, e.g. buy bus and train tickets at the counter and not involve tour agencies or hotel staff, eat at restaurants that cater to locals.

Your recommendations have been very successful for me in all the foreign cities I visited. Always doing independent research. One look at Google maps, if possible at the Street View to see the route and the front of the place I'm going to.  Studying the metro or buses, their entries, exists, stops.  Before having a smartphone I carried a compass to get my bearings after exiting a metro, for example, and I still do it just in case.  In this way it does not matter too much if the signs are in Thai, Mandarin or any other.

I can vividly remember visiting my grandparents who had a lot of flowers planted around their house; how beautiful. As I approached the flowers my grandfather warned me to be careful of the thorns on the roses? Thorns, roses? Eventually I learned what he meant and enjoyed the beauty of the flowers without the pain of the thorns.

A useful thought.  As long as there is no violence, scams that we are aware of can be of little consequence.

All harrowing experiences.  Christian's advice is always good. 

One possible solution for the solo traveler is - don't.  Don't go solo.  Come to Bangkok first, spend some time and find a VN guy who's willing to go there with you as companion/guide.  That way you have someone to hold your hand as you try to cross the streets in HCM and Hanoi.  (Of course, not an option if you're not open to VN guys at all.)

For those who do go solo, research online ahead of time to get the name of reputable local travel companies and the one(s) to avoid like the plague.  All those little travel shops abound and I would never book through one, personally.  And I don't use the little shops here in Bangkok either, but that's just me.   (I think Hanh?? has nightmare stories.)  When I went I stayed at nice uniformly well-reviewed hotels, some big chain Starwood hotels, mostly boutiques, and relied on them to make most local arrangements.  Never had any problems and if there were any problems, my first line of complaint would be to the hotel.  I'm so used to motorbike rental horror stories from Samui that I would never rent a motorbike from anyone other than my hotel for the local excursions.  Running everything through my pre-cleared hotel probably is more expensive, plus there's a tip for the concierge, but it's Vietnam, not that much more expensive.  

A prolific travel blogger I recall wrote that he would never go back to Vietnam.  So for some the issues are big ones.  I think his example was he absolutely furious at getting charged extra by the food lady at the bus stop in the middle of nowhere.  I understand that can bother some people.  

All too frequently there are reports in New York of New York cab drivers telling unsuspecting tourists that, for example, the cab fare is per person (even though there are sign all over the place saying this is not the case).  It happens everywhere.  I've travelled solo fairly extensively in India, among other places, and I think I have the reaction there that some people have towards Vietnam - it just starts driving me crazy that everyone is single-mindedly focused on extracting as much money from me as possible.  But it doesn't keep me from going back or, if there ever were a cute-enough guy in BKK, from offing him, I suppose.

One other thought, the cool season in Hanoi is COLD.

Not sure where you are from but temps in the 70's F are not cold where I come from. In fact it is delightful and far better then then the 90's in Thailand .  But of course if you are from Florida or the like, then you have different temps that you might find cold if you are from Boston.

The trip experienced by a447a, I wouldn't wish on anybody. Most of us have traveled a lot and have a story or two tell about our bad experiences. I also wonder if we use the word scam when sometimes it's just the way the local culture works.

My experiences with Vietnam have been great. My bf being Vietnamese covers language, money, food. Last trip to Hanoi is a hotel referred to me by Firecat. Turned out to be the only place I'll ever need to stay. Great staff, and location. I'm with Divinemadman. I book everything thru the hotel and so far everything has been perfect. Pickup at airport us only $12. I don't like group tours so hotel has put together private tours. All less than $75 a day Never had problem with taxi as staff vets driver and makes sure he knows where he is going. We fly to Hanoi, but bf doesn't like airport immigration so takes bus to visit family for a couple of days and then bus back to Bangkok. Hotel prints out bus tickets and drives him to bus station . There isn't anything more I could ask of the staff.

My interactions with the Vietnamese people , both in Vietnam and Bangkok has been nothing short of wonderful. I've found them to be very warm, friendly and affectionate. We all have different experiences, but I wouldn't trade any of mine. We had a new forum member in Bangkok last week who is from Hanoi. I spent an evening touring Twilight with him. Great guy and we had a lot of fun.

I've mentioned before I am friends with many of the Vietnamese boys that work in Soi Twilight and we have great times . So maybe I'm a bit predjudice

Firecat it can get down to 10c in North Vietnam and if raining, it can be Cold. Though I jokingly tell poeple that I'm headed back to Miami to cool off.

It is interesting that there does seem to me to be more negative comments about Saigon then Hanoi. I have not been to Saigon and my research prior to my first trip led me to believe Hanoi was smaller and more friendly. I have never changed my mind and will continue to visit Hanoi and have no interest in Saigon. 

I suppose I sound like some gay visitors to BKK that say they have no interest in Pattaya. Then they visit and it becomes a normal visit on their trips . Food for thought?

I spend most of the time that I spend in Vietnam in Saigon, not by choice but I'm getting along there pretty well. I'd say people are more direct and more business minded than in Hanoi, that's fine with me but I can see how this makes them appear less friendly.

All that said, I think both places (plus many in between for that matter!) are well worth a visit.

As for the guys, I'm hunting for the same target group in Saigon as in Bangkok. There are some differences and I might write about them in more detail at some point (working title: Twink Hunting in Bangkok vs Saigon, a Comparative Study), but by and large, the effort I need to put in and my success rate are similar.

One possible solution for the solo traveler is - don't. Don't go solo. Come to Bangkok first, spend some time and find a VN guy who's willing to go there with you as companion/guide. That way you have someone to hold your hand as you try to cross the streets in HCM and Hanoi.  (Of course, not an option if you're not open to VN guys at all.)

I'm very comfortable traveling alone. In Thailand I have the advantage of speaking the language, so I don't need a local to help, and anyway I usually know much better the average local. (Locals trying to help can be a problem for me, can waste a lot of time talking, then pretend to accept their advice, and still do it my way once they are gone.)

For other countries I would guess that the experienced traveler, even if he doesn't speak the language, is better off alone than with the average local.

For other countries I would guess that the experienced traveler, even if he doesn't speak the language, is better off alone than with the average local.

travelling with local anywhere may have many advantages  main being that they may have a keys to door we will not but will have one disadvantage as far as I 'm concerned - I will be forced to look at the country through his eyes.

No that I'm any better as I tend to drag my visitors to places here I like.

So my advice , do day sightseeing alone  and spent evening with local.

Not for me.  Some of my best experiences all over the world is being able to talk to locals and see how they see the world as well as my country. Of course since I now almost exclusively use Airbnb , it is just a fact you either meet the owner or the manager of the property. They are a wealth of knowledge that you may not find on trip advisor or tourism books.

I have a tin ear for learning languages and thus other then basics, I depend on finding residents that speak at least some English.

Luckily I find that very easy in most of the world.

I would love to visit places with locals but not for the first time. The first time visiting any country, id prefer doing it either solo or with friends/family. Once ive covered all the famous tourist area that i wanted to go, and can most learn about them from the internet, then and only then a local i sight would be a plus for me, for one simple reason, im the only one that know me best, and if anything goes wrong, i wont have regrets because i cant stay mad at myself forever lol

I think that it is very natural to travel alone, especially if some sex tourism is involved.

This is particularly fortunate if one has a BF at home who does not mind us doing that...

After all, we start our life alone before we are born,

and if we love ourselves we don't have to feel lonely ever.

We can gain the necessary expertise of a place we visit thanks to the wealth of information on the internet (a forum like this one included), and it feels good to be self-sufficient.

... then and only then a local i sight would be a plus for me, for one simple reason, im the only one that know me best, and if anything goes wrong, i wont have regrets because i cant stay mad at myself forever lol

LOL, something to think about... I agree that a vacation spirit can be ruined if one has to get mad at strangers.  And being mad at ourselves... well, it should not last long since we are family.

I have learned at last to keep control of emotions so I can stay unperturbed by negative incidents during the vacation.  The flight is delayed, children in the cabin screaming, rude attendants, ... computer left behind at the security check, ...arriving late, hotel room not what I like, ... disappointing sauna visit, ... now I can produce a smile at negatives as long as there is no threat to the body integrity.  This does not mean that I don't try hard to get everything perfect.

I had a minor scam in HCM City today to add to the list a447a has mentioned. It has happened before in my many visits here. A very good looking Twink was on Grindr and nearby my room so i invited him to visit me. He arrived promptly, stunning looking guy and proceeded to tell me he about how he was not a mb but lived far away and needed 200k dong taxi money each way. Oh, he was also tired and did not want sex now but would return later. Yeah, sure. I just told him he was 200 mtrs away when i contacted him on Grindr, that i would be busy for the rest of the day and gave him 50K Dong or $AU3 for a taxi to get back there. Bye bye, have a nice day. No drama. Last i saw he was in the lobby looking for beter opportunities.

Guest abang1961

He was not a mb but lived far away and needed 200k dong taxi money each way. Oh, he was also tired and did not want sex now but would return later. 

This boy is, in fact, stupid once he knew how Grindr works. You simply can't lie about the distance (within 1 km error granted).

Giving him some money was OK but not wanting sex as an exchange is definitely a No-No.

As for the 50K dong given to him, that should buy him a bowl of Beef Pho.

Even though 50,000 dong is almost nothing, it's merely encouraging such dishonest behaviour on his part & he's done nothing to deserve it. 

Also, it's probably more than he would earn in an hour in some low end job in Vietnam.

Guest abang1961

Honestly I don't understand the psyche of this Vietnamese boy.

He is the one who is supposed to offer SEX as a compensation for the monetary returns but yet, he claimed he did not want to have sex with you at that particular moment.  Hell, this is totally not professional.  If I am seeking to service someone, I will go all the way to pleasure him and in return, receives a gift. 

Don't tell me that young man can't perform.. I was young before and I know it is absolutely possible to have an erection instantly and an ejaculation every two hours.  Surely something I sorely missed the shooting nowadays.  Raising to the occasion is STILL very pronto..

correct , otherwise we would call most retailers scammers

When you go into Tesco / Wallmart, they do not say "sorry, we don't have any food now, but can we have 400,000 dong please ?".

The correct response is to send him away with nothing.   He's done nothing, so deserves nothing.   And, just to remove all doubt, he has lied.

I'm beginning to see why there are money boys around who are just not prepared to perform.   

If they can earn some money without performing, why bother ?

Even though 50,000 dong is almost nothing, it's merely encouraging such dishonest behaviour on his part & he's done nothing to deserve it.

Also, it's probably more than he would earn in an hour in some low end job in Vietnam.

Very true but the small payment did get him out of my room quickly without any fuss.