Guest tom2014

returning to bangkok - tips to swap

Guest tom2014

Hi all,

I try to visit once a year, so back in Bangkok in July and August between some travel to other places - suggestions welcome! I'm thinking of two or three of: Phuket or Koh Samui, KL & Singapore, Taiwan or Hong Kong, Vietnam, Laos... please advise!

Last time I discovered Yunomori Onsen off Sukhumvit, an easy walk from Nana or Asok hotel, where I tend to stay.

Also like to go to Babylon a couple of times, R3 maybe once on a Saturday... open to other experiences :) like massage, use Grindr, Jackd, Blued but Grind seems the best in BKK for genuine guys to meet up. 

Recommend the boat from Saphan Taksin to Phra Aphrit for Khao San Road area - a fun afternoon of shopping, browsing, eating and drinking. Great bookshops. Also Dasa cafe on Sukhumvit good for an hour or two.

This year keen on good massage, also maybe a personal trainer for a couple of hours, want to experience more nudity and fun (onsen is good but strictly straight and almost spiritual).

Also maybe cycling around, jogging in Lumpini, any other suggestions.. ? have a little list of sexual fantasies i'd like to try too :).

late 30s slim smooth guy, top, str acting... up for meeting asian or farangs so get in touch - 7 july to 7 august roughly.

For travel outside of Thailand in SEA, I now recommend Taiwan above everywhere else (if commercial sex scene is not important to you, even before Thailand).

Phuket and Koh Samui are expensive and touristy.

July and August are perfect to visit National Parks in Chaiyaphum, when Siamese Tulips are in bloom. Lopburi and Kanchanaburi worth a few days and not far from Bangkok.

For cycling go to Bang Krachao, coming from Klong Toey pier, there is bicycle rent at the pier.

More information (places you enjoyed in the past) needed to give more advice.

Guest tom2014

Thanks! Will look at DM to Danang flights, maybe take train north to Hanoi and fly to Laos or Taiwan from there - do a loop starting and ending in BKK. 

Have been to MY a few times, quite like KL and met some nice guys using apps there... gay scene does not bother me or money boys, just interesting cultural stuff, good value food and drink and cute guys to meet up with for fun... 

Def interested in Taiwan - heard hot springs are nice but of course this is summer so baking hot... 

Have been to Tokyo for four days, liked it but exhausting busy place... 

Also want to break out of routine in BKK and do different things. Like good massage, will visit Babylon once or twice, maybe R3, definitely the onsen (there is a new one in Pattaya i hear). 

Up for meeting ppl from this board, too for chat and swap advice, maybe even fun.... 

Have a thing about trains - enjoyed going to CM on the overnight, also taking train in Vietnam down the coast. 

Good and cheap food, taiwan, kl even penang, indonesia is a must go places. There are a few sauna in kl too and massage places, but nothing beats the gay scene in thailand as far as selection goes. Since u gave been to malaysia few times l, u should go to penang or kota bahru or even kota kinabalu for a different cultural scene :)

If you go to Bali, stay out of Kuta and you'll be ok. That's where the Aussie rabble hang out.

The gay scene - just a few bars lined up next to each other - is north of Kuta in Seminyak. Just grab a hotel nearby and a guy from one of the bars.

I just came back from Taiwan - but I only visited Taipei. It had some really interesting places (at least for me) but I stayed there for a week and that was too long. It's clean, cheap and the locals are very friendly. Food is ok, especially if you are into eating offal. Yuk!!

Luang Prabang is a magical place and definitely worth a few days. Not a lot to see, but a great place to relax. But like Taipei, no sex to speak of.

But I repeat - if you want interesting places to visit, incredibly delicious food (not just Japanese), a clean environment, friendly people, cheap prices and super efficiency, go to Japan. Just remember, commercial sex is going to be expensive compared to countries in S.E. Asia.

What are the attractions you find in Taiwan?  

For general sightseeing see internet. My gay experiences and general observations for Dec 2016 are here:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2017/01/gay-places-in-taipei.html

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2017/01/taiwan-general-impressions.html

and those for current trip (May 2016) to be published today and on 18. on my blog.

See various threads by fountainhall on this and other forums as well (that's where I got the inspiration to go there).

As for country hopping, I loathe it! I have the advantage of speaking Thai, so I can travel cheaply and independently in Thailand, whereas everywhere else I am back to tourist (paying tourist prices, having to rely on people speaking English). But even without the language advantage, I don't like visas and exchanging money and other differences (time zones, driving right or left handed, different power plugs).

Visa and visa fees is a big issue for me. Indonesia and Vietnam got on top of my list when they scrapped visa for German citizens some years ago. Else, I would probably have gone to Myanmar.

At the moment, I have Euro and US-Dollar, Thai Baht and money from Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia left from previous trips in my room, that's 10 different currencies! I keep it and information leaflets because I might go back some day.

At the moment, I have Euro and US-Dollar, Thai Baht and money from Lao, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia left from previous trips in my room, that's 10 different currencies! I keep it and information leaflets because I might go back some day.

I am reluctant to keep developing world's currencies after Indian Rupee fiasco.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-india-37983834

Guest tom2014

Great - thanks... I'm tempted by Taiwan and Laos in particular after this.

I've been to Penang - really enjoyed it. Georgetown for culture, food, colonial history, and Batu Ferrenghi for some beach life and relaxation. Have been to Cameron Highlands but not Genting - the biggest hotel in the world, I think, was featured on the BBC last week in a three part travel series: Dara OBriein and Ed Byrne. 

Thank you for individual messages too - I will reply to everyone and eager to meet up if possible for a drink at least, so let me know if around in July/Aug? 

I mean I keep cash leftover from trips. I'm not investing in these currencies. But I should exchange it with friends traveling there, to de-clutter my life.

I had some Maylasian Ringgit left over from several years ago, probably around 3000B worth. I decided to cash it in whilst in Thailand. It was all larger denominations in good condition but I was only able to change around half of it. Apparently some of the notes, whilst still legal tender, were considered 'to old'  (old series I think they said) to be changed in Thailand.

I've heard of the money changers not liking torn/damaged notes before and even some don't like aussie $100 but I would have thought age was irrelevant.

For general sightseeing see internet. My gay experiences and general observations for Dec 2016 are here:

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2017/01/gay-places-in-taipei.html

http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2017/01/taiwan-general-impressions.html

and those for current trip (May 2016) to be published today and on 18. on my blog.

See various threads by fountainhall on this and other forums as well (that's where I got the inspiration to go there).

Thank you Christian.

Speaking of currency, I returned to Bangkok after a 15 year hiatus.  With me I brought 17,000 baht from that earlier trip - mostly in nice crisp 1,000 baht notes.  To my surprise several places would not accept them as they did not have the recent security features.  I did manage to use most of them but I still have a couple of them,  Let's see what happens on my next trip - hopefully in a year or two!

I've heard of the money changers not liking torn/damaged notes

True. At Super Rich Ratchadamri head office, scribbled notes get rejected. After experienced a few rejections, I only brings clean notes from my home country. If you accept lower exchange rate, you can get the same scribbled notes exchanged at Super Rich branches.

Speaking of currency, I returned to Bangkok after a 15 year hiatus. With me I brought 17,000 baht from that earlier trip - mostly in nice crisp 1,000 baht notes. To my surprise several places would not accept them as they did not have the recent security features. I did manage to use most of them but I still have a couple of them,

" TO MY SURPRISE " ??? I am shocked to hear that you managed to spend some after 15 years.