Guest Wonder

Regarding Cambodian Men Working in Bars in Thailand

Hi all, very new here. I am still struggling to get the hang of using this forum.  

By the way, as I went through various threads last week, I was really surprised with the amount of posts and discussions about Cambodian men working in bars in Thailand. This is pretty much something that I have never heard before. To me, talking about Cambodians working in Thailand, first thing that would come up in my head is the millions of Cambodians working both legally and illegally in construction and agriculture sectors there.

I am very interested to find out why many Cambodian men end up working in entertainment sector in Thailand. 

As some of you posted about "barfining" Cambodian men from bars, I wonder if you guys ever had conversations with them regarding why they ended up working in Thailand, and any issues they encountered working and living there such as visa and work permit? 

I am not here to judge them, they can do whatever they want, I am just curious and want to understand. My guess, perhaps there are more job opportunities there and they could earn more money than back home, or there are some other interesting facts to this. 

I am looking forwards to hearing back from you all. 

The short answer is, money. ;)

Well, I do agree that money is one thing, but I thought there are some other interesting reasons that brought them there. 

Don't recall seeing the term "barfining" used in forums. It's a term usually only used when discusssing lady bars.

haha English is not my first language. I thought "barfine" also can be used for men bars too.

Service providers  should be where their clients are and that is the reason. Moneyboy's  work is much less dusty than working the fields  

Well, I get about the demands and supplies, however again, I was thinking to kinda dig up more about this, perhaps there are some other reasons that made them chose Thailand over Cambodia. 

I have not yet been to Thailand, I guess transit at the airport does not count lol. I will talk to them once I get there one day eventually. 

Money and its practically legal to do this sort of work in bangkok/pattaya. So more customer, higher income, less worry about police etc. and there are many who prefer to work outside the country so people back home wont know that they did this "universally shameful job", higher chances of meeting people they know in their own country.

Service providers  should be where their clients are and that is the reason. Moneyboy's  work is much less dusty than working the fields  

Clients of money boys should be all over the world.  Why cannot the Cambodians (and others) come the the US instead of us having to go to Thailand?   I know, it's the immigration laws.  But if Trump's employees can get special visas because they have skills not found in the US,  with much more reason Asian money boys should qualify for that !  :angry:

This is of course correct, however, finding such a service provider in Siem Reap used to be very easy 10 years ago, now it's quite difficult.    I imagine some might earn good money back home.

However, for that kind of career, perhaps it's preferable to work somewhere a discrete distance away from home.   Where there are clients as well.

Clients of money boys should be all over the world.  Why cannot the Cambodians (and others) come the the US instead of us having to go to Thailand?   I know, it's the immigration laws.

A trip to Thailand is much cheaper and it's a path well traveled for Cambodian migrant workers. They cannot legally work as moneyboys here either.

One more reason i can think off, back home, if u want to work in this kind of business, there is always a mafia/gang that control the business, and they can always resort to mistreat, abuse, asking huge amount of money etc by extorting the fact that they know where u live and where your family is. Maybe i watched tv too much but its not far from truth in some countries

Well, I get about the demands and supplies, however again, I was thinking to kinda dig up more about this, perhaps there are some other reasons that made them chose Thailand over Cambodia. 

I have not yet been to Thailand, I guess transit at the airport does not count lol. I will talk to them once I get there one day eventually.

Judging by your questions, your interest seems to be primarily academic. NGOs particularly have an appetite for this line of inquiry.

Cambodian moneyboys provide companionship for a duration of time. What you do in private is up to you. Technically this is not work, whether legally or otherwise.

Time is a valuable commodity and to give one's time deserves compensation (money).  What is done for compensation can be called "work".  Time is also a common measure of work, with salaries paid by the hour, the day, the month.  So many public employees are paid by the month, even if they do nothing or do negative work...  Compared to them, the companionship of Cambodian moneyboys can be much more deserving  :)

Money and its practically legal to do this sort of work in bangkok/pattaya. So more customer, higher income, less worry about police etc. and there are many who prefer to work outside the country so people back home wont know that they did this "universally shameful job", higher chances of meeting people they know in their own country.

This is very reasonable and perhaps they feel more accepted in Thailand than back home.

Clients of money boys should be all over the world.  Why cannot the Cambodians (and others) come the the US instead of us having to go to Thailand?   I know, it's the immigration laws.  But if Trump's employees can get special visas because they have skills not found in the US,  with much more reason Asian money boys should qualify for that !  :angry:

Well, it is not that Cambodian is completely banned from traveling to the US, however the State Department just makes it hard for us to travel there, even once with a lot of money. I had discussed this issue with my American friends and all of them felt that it is very unfair, as they could just fly in, pay 35 U.S dollar and get one month with one entry visa right away. For us, we have to go through a hell of long procedure to get one and it is not always that applicants will be granted the visa. Applying for the US visa is also quite expensive. $ U.S 170 for application fee, expense on translation of documents such as family book and birth certificate and then you need to get a letter from your employer saying that you are being employed in Cambodia. That's not the end yet, you need to show them that you have some sort of properties and bank account with a lot of money and invitation letter from someone in the states, they want to make sure that you will come back to Cambodia after your trip. 

Wonder, can you tell us why you are particularly interested in Cambodian men working in bars in Thailand, and not Lao, Myanmar or Vietnamese.

Jasper, because I am Cambodian too. I am just trying to understand more about this. I have never heard that many Cambodians are working there, until I stumbled upon this forum. 

Judging by your questions, your interest seems to be primarily academic. NGOs particularly have an appetite for this line of inquiry.

haha this is not a research or some sort of online survey. I am not working for an NGOs. It is just something that I am curious and want to find out more as I share the country with them. 

I am not working for an NGOs.

Well it does look a bit like that, since approximately 90% of your posts are on this topic.  However, we might just jump to the wrong conclusion.

If you ARE interested in the topic, go out an meet some of the people working in the bars.  You will find young adults of various nationalities, working there of their own free will.  

Those who are good at the profession will earn a multiple of the Thai minimum daily wage, for just a few hours work.

I suppose it is an even higher multiple of the Cambodian wages.

and looking very pretty I haste to add

I believe a lot of westerners find our brown skin attractive, I guess you might already know, but in case you don't, a lot of Cambodians don't really like their brown skins. 

Well it does look a bit like that, since approximately 90% of your posts are on this topic.  However, we might just jump to the wrong conclusion.

If you ARE interested in the topic, go out an meet some of the people working in the bars.  You will find young adults of various nationalities, working there of their own free will.  

Those who are good at the profession will earn a multiple of the Thai minimum daily wage, for just a few hours work.

I suppose it is an even higher multiple of the Cambodian wages.

Well, I will pay a visit to one of those bars, when I visit Thailand. Since some of posters talked about them, I thought that I might get some information this via this thread. I want to reaffirm that I am not collecting this information for any other purposes rather than just self-interest. 

Regarding to why 90 percent of my posts are in this one single thread, that's because this forum is centered on Thailand and I have to close to zero percent knowledge about Thailand. 

I had a look in the section about gay in Cambodia, most of the threads there are old and nothing I can add in. :D