reader

The legendary Malaysia

What veteran traveler here hasn't spent at least one night at this landmark hotel? It turns 50 in December and this article from khaosod English does it some well-deserved justice.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2017/11/24/salute-50-years-late-nights-bangkoks-malaysia-hotel/

Me. As a veteran traveler (34 trips overseas, 7 of them to Thailand) I have never set foot at the Malaysia hotel.  Instead I have visited Malaysia 11 times  (does this count?)

Me. As a veteran traveler (34 trips overseas, 7 of them to Thailand) I have never set foot at the Malaysia hotel.  Instead I have visited Malaysia 11 times  (does this count?)

Sorry but no cigar.....not that that will disappoint you.

If one asks me, Malaysia hotel is best value for money among BKK hotels even if cost of taxis to get there and from is added on

On a trip (think it was in 2003) I asked taxi driver at Don Meaung if he knew Malaysia Hotel. "Know well," he shot back and off we went. As I registered, there seemed to be as many BIB as MB's in coffee shop. Ah, I thought, it's great to be home again.

Guest McGarty

The article neglected to mention one of the more infamous former residents of the Malaysia Hotel - the serial killer Charles Sobhraj.

As I reported last year:

The infamous Charles Sobhraj hung out at the Malaysia Hotel.  He often picked up his victims at The Blue Fox cafe opposite (now the 7-11).

Fortunately he has spent most of life since then incarcerated.

Interesting article... I remember before apps/internet, this was the place to pick up guys after the clubs closed...not so much anymore.

The coffee shop is my favorite place to eat Thai food, believe it or not. I take usually 6-10 orders to go and heat them up in the condo whenever I'm hungry. I'm very well known there late night....some police are there sometimes eating when I go...and the waitresses think I am crazy for always hitting on the cute ones...in all the years only one messaged me and we hooked up,lol

On a trip (think it was in 2003) I asked taxi driver at Don Meaung if he knew Malaysia Hotel. "Know well," he shot back and off we went. As I registered, there seemed to be as many BIB as MB's in coffee shop. Ah, I thought, it's great to be home again.

not anymore it seems , neither boys nor boys in brown

The article neglected to mention one of the more infamous former residents of the Malaysia Hotel - the serial killer Charles Sobhraj.

As I reported last year:

The infamous Charles Sobhraj hung out at the Malaysia Hotel. He often picked up his victims at The Blue Fox cafe opposite (now the 7-11).

Fortunately he has spent most of life since then incarcerated.

And a boy I knew was murdered there. The farang murderer somehow was released and sent back to his country, according to the story I was told, which I have no real reason to disbelieve. Of course, significant money must have changed hands.

The boy's name was Daeng. Daeng from Yangon. He was a bright and innocent 23 year old. His death left me with a feeling of nausea every time I pass the place.

The article tells that the owner is a Thai family and says that the hotel name is not because of the country, but because of the family surname - Ma-something... But this last statement is quite unclear from the article... Or perhaps it should be guessed that they wanted something starting with "Ma.." and well-known word and finally decided on "Malaysia".

Realized just now - the hotel was opened in December 1967 - so it is certainly had some associations with Malaysia as a country, which was established earlier in 1967!

The Malaysia is at about the same distance from Silom as Babylon, which is not more than an easy walk for us young people.

Agree it's a brisk 25-minute walk from Silom no matter what route you take and quite doable if you have no physical restrictions.

But if your base of operations is going to be Silom/surawong area, most venues are within a few minutes apart but no more than seven. And when you head home for the night--alone or with others--your hotel is in the neighborhood.

That is partially correct.  I stay at the Malaysia regularly - at least once every other month and sometimes more often than that.  BIB are in the restaurant quite often, usually several of them sitting together.  I don't know why.  Maybe they get to eat free or at a discount or they simply like the food, but they still frequent the restaurant.

I recall that when Lucas was still managing Tarntawan place hotel, when the bib overnight shift came on duty, a handful of brass would gather in the lounge for coffee, their cycles and vehicles in the driveway. I like to think they like to gossip, just like us.

Stayed once at the Ibis just after it opened. Found it's tiny room clean but the place was soulless compared to Malaysia. Also tried the Pinnacle a few times which was also a good value and where MB's were well represented at the breakfast buffet with their farang hosts.

You're spot on about the neighborhood. Good, reasonable restaurants, and no trouble finding company.

Guest Hutchison

The Malaysia is at about the same distance from Silom as Babylon, which is not more than an easy walk for us young people.

No, Babylon is much closer than Silom to the Malaysia Hotel.

Are you serious?  They are ABOUT equidistant in any map, and your eyes are the best judge of which are the closest depending on where on Silom and the best way to go.

That's just nonsense unless you are looking at one of those hand-out tourist maps that distort everything. A walk from the Malaysia Hotel to Babylon is shorter than a walk from the hotel to the Sathorn/Rama 4 junction. Add another 400 - 500 meters to get to the top of Silom. Want to get to Soi 4? Add another 400 meters or so. Next time I suggest you let you r feet do the judging.