TotallyOz

Dengue Fever Vaccine

I got Dengue Fever for the 2nd or 3rd time a week ago. I let it go too long and my kidneys were shutting down. I was lucky to get to the hospital in time and got pumped with liquids and antibiotics.  Again, Bumrumgrad was amazing and they treated me in the daytime with IV's for a few days as I didn't want to stay overnight.   I was a bit shocked this is what it was as I have not been out a lot. But, the doctor said they now had a vaccine for Dengue Fever. Has anyone heard of this?  Done it?

Do a Google search for:  dengue fever vaccine thailand

Many sites will come up.

I suggest reading the following article - and anyone who has never contracted Dengue Fever should definitely read it before getting the vaccine.

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/blog/travel-medicine-issue/dengue-vaccine-for-travelersforeigners-in-thailand-should-i-get-it.html

There was some unfavourable press about this when I was in Manila last year, although that was because people experienced precisely the disadvantages described in Gaybutton's link.

It may be an interesting option in your case.

I got Dengue Fever for the 2nd or 3rd time a week ago. I let it go too long and my kidneys were shutting down. I was lucky to get to the hospital in time and got pumped with liquids and antibiotics.  Again, Bumrumgrad was amazing and they treated me in the daytime with IV's for a few days as I didn't want to stay overnight.   I was a bit shocked this is what it was as I have not been out a lot. But, the doctor said they now had a vaccine for Dengue Fever. Has anyone heard of this?  Done it?

In Asia, catching dengue fever is not uncommon. I have seen quite a few cases of the workers having it (the blood test confirmed it). Personally, I recommend drinking "raw juices" extracted from the fresh papaya leaves. Juice from one big leaf, 3 times a day. It is effective and cheap.

An American farang friend in his early 60’s contracted Dengue Fever and was very sick. He only spends a month a year in

Thailand and is still working. He was told he had kidney damage from the Dengue and that his kidneys were operating at

60%.

He’s considering at home dialysis if necessary.

I use ‘Off’ spray on my legs but honestly forget many days. I’ll try harder to be more conscientious

in the future. Long pants and long sleeve shirts are recommended but far from ideal in hot weather.

From what I recall, there is actually no medicine for dengue fever. Hence, if a person is sick, send to hospital, at most they can do is to put the person on IV and/or treat the symptoms (e.g. fever medicine). Mostly, it all depends on the individual ability to recover by his or herself. And antibiotics is actually not useful in this case 'cos dengue fever is supposedly a virus not bacteria infection. Doses of strong antibiotics will actually cause more harm to the liver n kidney than helping the person.

Another effective but expensive known alternative "medicine" is Porcupine Date (in Chinese is called "豪猪枣"). It is intensely bitter. Less than a gram of it may cost over a thousand USD, but is usually enough to rid the "poison" left by the dengue fever out of the body, the person platelet & white blood count will stop dropping, with rest, the body can then recover.