TotallyOz

Intercontinental Pattaya Resort

I just spend several days at the Intercontinental Hotel in Pattaya. It was a great experience. The staff were amazing and catered to my every need.  My Thai BF and I were both treated great from every one.  The pools are amazing and the breakfast buffet is great.

I did meet up with a few guys I new for hookups and the hotel walked them to my room.

I think the hotel use to be the Sheraton or another chain. It is next to Royal Cliff Hotel.

I had a great room with a view of the sea, gardens and pool. Breakfast was not included in the rate I booked but they comped me anyway being a Spire Elite Member. The met me with a nice plate of fruit and chocolate.  My only complaint is that the minibar had Pepsi products and I hate that. :)  I'm more of a Coke guy. But, if that is my biggest complain, that says a lot.

Great hotel and great experience and highly recommended.

437 Phra Tamnak Road, Pattaya,

Chonburi 20150, Thailand

Tel: +66 (0) 38 259 888

Fax: +66 (0) 38 259 899

intercontinental.com/pattayaresort

I just spoke with a Thai friend whose sister works at Intercontinental . My friend said it was a good hotel but expensive.

like with everything, expensive for some and reasonable for others,

not long ago we had discussion whether 159 for chicken with cashew nuts at Cha Cha Cha was expensive or not and in another thread 1300 per meal in some luxury place was called reasonable.

Certainly I sympathize with your friend as I consider every Thai hotel costing more than 50 USD expensive, doesn't mean I don't pay even more from time to time when I want to treat myself.

Can easily imagine that some members would not even dream about going that low. We just have our own criteria and they are not always linear.

Guy who is OK with splurging 1000 baht for a dish may still call 1500 a night digs on costly side and his friend may be exactly opposite.   

The room rate was about 5-6,000 Thai Baht per night. I thought a decent rate for an Intercontinental in Thailand. I stay at the Intercon in Hua Hin for several weeks each year and it is always more expensive and in high season can run over 10k a night. I realize that is not a great value but when I do stay in hotels, I like to feel like any issues I have are taken care of immediately and this brand does this every stay.  

That said, I notice the Royal Cliff has specials now as they have construction and prices under 2k baht per night. 

That's a New York or London rate. It makes no sense in Hua Hin by the cost of doing business they can justify it only by drowning you in service because the cost of labor is so low.

I am not sure when you last stayed at IHG in NY or London, but a quick visit to the chain's web site shows typical starting rates for standard rooms of:

New York 16,000 Baht

London    15,000 Baht

Paris        18,000 Baht

Bangkok    6,500 Baht

Pattaya      4,400 Baht

Hua Hin     4,400 Baht

Micheal said his rate 5-6,000 Baht - perhaps he can give us a room, service, f&b and amenities comparison with other IHG hotels he has used but from my recent recent experience booking major local and international chains in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Taipei, Singapore and Europe I don't really see much justification for your "cost of doing business" objection to this price

or perhaps you can support your claim with some details from your experience comparing the details and price of IHG or other chain rooms in different cities around the world

bkkguy

Bangkok    6,500 Baht

Pattaya      4,400 Baht

Hua Hin     4,400 Baht

Checking the IHG site these rates do not include tax and service. So the lowest payable rate for Pattaya is 5,190.57 per night. That falls within Michael's suggested range - just. And then the rates in the other cities will also be higher.

" am not sure when you last stayed at IHG in NY or London, but a quick visit to the chain's web site shows typical starting rates for standard rooms of:"

My comment was regarding the 10,000B per night. I was not remarking on any rate in any chain, merely that to the justification of these rates in the developing world it is based on the sort of luxury that a very large, low paid labor force can provide.

My experience is based on 25 years as a T&E - procurement consultant for major international corporations. For a decade I held a bid meeting in New York and one in Europe every year to secure client corporate rates. We compare/cap our negotiations by city, not by the chain.

10k B a night is, indeed, a reasonable cap for a major western city. There are higher rates in that city. But beside the point.

I was not commenting on the level of service merely that the rates are commensurate with high service levels rather than the cost of doing business locally.

On reflection and with my experience the comment stands. I do get the feeling that I have, somehow, offended you for that I'm sorry. However, I really don't see how.

New York 16,000 Baht

London    15,000 Baht

Paris        18,000 Baht

Bangkok    6,500 Baht

Pattaya      4,400 Baht

Hua Hin     4,400 Baht

I have stayed in the Intercontinental in each of these hotels at least 10 nights over the last 10 years. By far, Paris for me was most expensive.

I did say for 30 days at the Intercon in NYC and got a great rate of 299 for 30 days but it was during a snow storm and no one was visiting the city. They upgraded me to a beautiful 1 bedroom suite which was great. Like I said, great rate. Just like all the others during low season. You have to check and keep checking and sometimes find great rates.

Hua Hin is one of my favorites and I rarely leave the resort. The hotel service is top notch and it has everything you need, just like the one in Pattaya. I do find the one in Bangkok overpriced and a bit run old but it is still a great place to stay.  In Bangkok, there are more options and I like the Renaissance or the JW Marriott. But, for relaxation, I love Hua Hin.

I guess staying in expensive hotels is like flying Business class, some of us prefer more comfort and are willing to pay for it whilst others it's not that important and they prefer to spend the saved money on other things.

It really all depends on what you mean by convenient. I had no issues getting around but I was not there for constant sex shows. I like to stay in hotel most of the time and go out once per day. It was easy to get to hotel and easy to get taxi if needed from hotel. I had zero issues with convenience. But, many prefer being close to Boyztown or Sunee or Jomptien. It all depends on what you are looking for. I was looking for a nice hotel that both the BF and I could spend a nice romantic weekend (after he arrived) and easy to get guys in before he arrived. :) 

I guess staying in expensive hotels is like flying Business class, some of us prefer more comfort and are willing to pay for it whilst others it's not that important and they prefer to spend the saved money on other things.

Absolutely.

Also, if my bank balance resembled that of Bill Gates, I would be flying further forward on the plane and looking at fancy hotels.

Now whilst I'm perfectly solvent, if I start splashing out 5000 baht a night on Thai hotels, I will simply need to work extra years before retiring. If I get hotels in the <1500 a night range, "freedom" from the 8~5:00 job can be imminent.

Maybe I just need to pump some of the high flyers for advice on bringing money in. -_-

I suppose it also should be possible to discuss fancy hotels here without the likes of me questioning whether such expense is necessary or justified.

I suppose it also should be possible to discuss fancy hotels here without the likes of me questioning whether such expense is necessary or justified.

I wholeheartedly agree with you except for this.  In support of the first part of your argument, I love it when someone with experience in an  arera steps in to say, " great, but there are some very nice hotels at 1/2 the cost..." Many of us rely on such information.

Maybe for short weekend the intercontinental can be an excellent option but when I come to Pattaya I usually stay between one week to two and I certainly can't afford my self to splash more than for 5K a day

for accommodation, at the range of 1500 to 2500 Bt. there are many good options in Pattaya .

Also, if my bank balance resembled that of Bill Gates, I would be flying further forward on the plane and looking at fancy hotels.

not necessarily, it depends on many factors.

I think I told that story before -once when in Bangkok I learned that one of my childhood friends is there on business so we met .

He is very successful businessman  so I expected he will be staying in something like Conrad or Mandarin while in fact he was in some very ordinary hotel in one of Sukhumvit 20 something sois.

He told me that while he probably could afford to  book all hotel for himself he decided on  ordinary room as almost all his time was spent outside on meetings , functions etc. so all he need was relatively traffic free quiet street hotel with only ordinary amenities.

So some of our neighbors on the plane in economy may be actually sitting on pile of cash while others at front may be people of modest means who decided to treat themselves once of every 12 years.

replace ' fancy hotels' with  ' boy tips' and you find that subject is well discussed and rehearsed here.

questions abound but both big spenders and cheap charlies stick to their questionable habits no matter what we say

I love it when someone with experience in an  area steps in to say, " great, but there are some very nice hotels at 1/2 the cost..." Many of us rely on such information.

You are taking serious risk if you follow underscored comment of vinapu or the likes as it may mean different thing to different people.

Sometimes out of boredom I read comments on agoda , expedia or booking.com on places I stay and know very well and am amazed what people are saying. We human race like to generalize based on sometimes very cursory experience.