paborn

Restaurant updates

Thanks so much. Not only for the information but for being responsive. Too many times, on other boards, a simple request for information causes a blast of "you can google that!!!!" OMG, I love the simple grace of most people here. Again, thanks

And, for doubters. Google ( and I use a full suite of Google products ) can't give the personal observations of a fellow gay on the ground.

Too many times..... a simple request for information causes a blast of "you can google that!!!!"

you are right ! Last night I had conversation with my friend about matters related to his work and one of my  questions was answered ' you can see it on the website I just sent you link to".

My response was swift " if we will be sending people to google we may discover there's no need for personal conversations at all"

He apologized immediately

I used Foodpanda food delivery service for the first time in Bangkok last month and it was great.

I was browsing the app and found my favourite Yawarat street food shop selling Thai sweets which only cost 50B + delivery charge 40B. I received telephone call from hotel receptionist when the delivery man arrived and paid cash.

https://www.foodpanda.co.th/

Frankly you can get food poisoning almost anywhere. One of the worst cases I ever had was in Taiwan after eating in the restaurant of a high end hotel. The worst case I had in Thailand was on my first ever trip and visit to Pattaya - big mistake eating a late lunch at a deserted restaurant. I was sick all over the beach and ended up spending a night in the hospital.

For me Thai food in Thailand is generally just way too spicy. I don't know how the locals can eat it when it basically just sets your mouth on fire so you can't taste anything. But there are some dishes that I really like - massaman curry for example which is fairly mild.

For me Thai food in Thailand is generally just way too spicy. I don't know how the locals can eat it when it basically just sets your mouth on fire so you can't taste anything. But there are some dishes that I really like - massaman curry for example which is fairly mild.

You are referring here to street food or restaurant food?

I only eat Thai food in restaurants in Pattaya and Bangkok and I never have very spicy food. I think they think - since I am farang - that I not like it. I strongly suspect restaurants make the food less spicy for farang customers. Tom Yum soup for me doesnt taste spicy at all. Only little bit. So what food are you referring to? Restaurant food?

The tourist area restaurants usually tune down the spiciness for tourist i supposed. I love my food spicy so i have no issues with thai food, and actually preferred it when im there. There is a good and cheap pad thai place behind silom complex, only 50b for a shrimp padthai and i enjoyed it. They cant speak english at all so i just point out what i want lol.

I too like spicy Thai food.  Tell the waiter, a couple of times, that you do NOT want "tourist spicy" but you want "Thai spicy".

One year I am my Thai friend visited NYC and went to a Thai restaurant.  My friend called for the chef to come out and told him the same thing - that we both wanted Thai spicy!

I too like spicy Thai food.  Tell the waiter, a couple of times, that you do NOT want "tourist spicy" but you want "Thai spicy".

One year I am my Thai friend visited NYC and went to a Thai restaurant.  My friend called for the chef to come out and told him the same thing - that we both wanted Thai spicy!

So that is what I do wrong, I must ask for it to be spicy! But member fedssocr wrote he always get very spicy food while not asking for it (he doesn't even like it). So how to explain that? I tend to eat fried rice, pad thai or tom yum and they are not spicy or only little bit. Sometimes with fried rice I get a side dish with chili's in it and fish sauce (prik nam pla I think its called) to make it spicy.

You need to make sure to ask then to make spicy only at a place where they tune the spiciness down for tourist. In the states, some chinese/thai restaurant have 3 level of spiciness, but with asian, they have lvl 4 and 5 lol. I wouldnt ask my dish to be made spicy in an east java, in indonesia since their dishes is already spicy. But then again, i am not farang :)