likeohmygod

Coronavirus implications in saunas.

• Members
27 minutes ago, likeohmygod said:

The title is self-explanatory.

What do you think?

Will the saunas be affected by the inevitable arrival (not yet happened) of the 2019-ncov in Brazil?

Would it be risky to keep going at this time?

I do not think there is risk right now, but if the risk rises it is possible that the government closed down all saunas and public baths. I will be there in April and am concerned about perhaps not having saunas. Although my visit is right before the beginning of the local flu season, the situation is now unpredictable.

I am glad I do not need the saunas, but I would horribly miss them. 

Edited by Latbear4blk

• Members

I know we are still in the realm of speculation, but wouldn’t any decision on closure be a state decision? In other words a decision by a governmental authority in São Paulo may differ from Rio. People more familiar with Brazil’s constitutional arrangements may like to comment.

• Members

There are 12,000 cases in China, a country of 1.5 billion, so less than 1/100,000 people. Brazil has about 2 cases, so about 1/100,000,000 people. If that's worrisome to you, by all means cancel your trip. It would save you from the vastly greater risk of physical crime, violence, drunken accidents, and stampedes during carnaval. But then you might have to cancel all trips outside of your house, because the US has over 6 cases, so much more likely you might catch it from one of those 6 people than from the infected in Brazil. 

I never know how to answer a question like this because there is no satisfactory answer for fear.

If your question is about cancellation of the public festivities, surely there are other wonderful things to do and see in Brazil. Some of which, ahem, poses VASTLY greater risks of other infections, though perhaps not as untreatable.

Edited by davet

• Members
3 hours ago, Walker said:

I am scheduled to travel to Rio and SP in a couple weeks for Carnival parties.  What should I do? Should I cancel my trip?

I am scheduled to go to Brazil also for Carnaval and after and I do not plan to cancel anything. 

There is no more risks in Brazil than in US or in some countries in Europe where a few cases have already been detected : there were fewer flights between China and Brazil than between China and Europe (there were direct flights between Wuhan - where most of the cases were detected in China - and France for instance).

About the original subject, the coronavirus is not a sexually  transmitted disease but an air transmitted disease where transmission occurs for instance through droplets emitted when people cough. 

IMO, Authorities in Brazil will not declare specifically  closure of public baths but might declare cancellation of all public festivities and public gatherings  in order to avoid or to limit cross contamination. It is what happened in China where all New Year festivities were cancelled, then transit between Wuhan and other parts of China was stopped. 

I do not think that this will happen in Brazil in the short term (until end of February) and I do not think for instance that Carnaval festivities will be cancelled nor that in the short term saunas will be affected by epidemy.  If there are already just a few cases in Brazil, I will avoid kissing.

I had planned another trip to Brazil in May and wait a few weeks before confirming. 

The complete genome of the virus has already been identified by Chinese authorities and sent to pharmaceutucal laboratories worldwide  and even though a vaccine is very unlikely to be available in the next 6 months, some medecines might be soon available to decrease the strenght of the coronavirus and limit its spreading.

• Members

True and even if Brazil hasn't banned yet flights to and from China, the number of flights was inferior to the one around the EU, and right now most of the companies have canceled their flights by themselves.

Is an airborne virus but kissing and touching (saliva in general) can be vectors.

Saunas host a lot of tourists from around the world.

• Members

There is no direct flight between China and Brazil.  The distance is far beyond an aircrafts capacity. To reach Brazil from China you need to transit through an airport either in the US, Dubai or FRA/AMS/MAD etc in Europe.  Now a few countries such as US, Italy, Singapore and Australia have already banned entry of Chinese travellers, many other ports will follow.  BA, AA, QF, DL have already stopped flying in and out of China at least until late March. 

Domestically there is also a travel ban in China between cities, and people are unwilling to travel with almost all airlines offering free refund for voluntary cancellations.  No travel agents are allowed to organise group tours overseas anymore.

There will be a significant reduction in the number of Chinese flights and travellers worldwide.

Edited by Uqtyang

• Members
13 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

I know we are still in the realm of speculation, but wouldn’t any decision on closure be a state decision? In other words a decision by a governmental authority in São Paulo may differ from Rio. People more familiar with Brazil’s constitutional arrangements may like to comment.

This crisis evolution is unpredictable. In most countries, Brazil included, there is first. a municipal, then a state, and finally a federal authority that may make that kind of decisions. 

• Members
BRASÍLIA

Brazil has at least nine cases of suspected Chinese coronavirus. The patients are from São Paulo (3), Santa Catarina (2), Rio de Janeiro (1), Minas Gerais (1), Paraná (1) and Ceará (1).

All of them are awaiting test results, according to the Ministry of Health.

"We do not currently have any confirmed cases of coronaviruses in Brazil," said the health surveillance secretary, Wanderson Oliveira, this Wednesday (29).

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/scienceandhealth/2020/01/brazil-records-nine-cases-of-suspected-coronavirus-three-are-in-sao-paulo.shtml

• Members
On 2/2/2020 at 2:45 PM, Riobard said:

Today it is reported that Bolsonaro will not commit to evacuating about 40 nationals from China, citing undeveloped/unclear quarantine legislation in Brazil. 

Arrangements are now being made to evacuate and quarantine at least some of the requesters. 

• Members
On 2/1/2020 at 7:21 AM, pauleiro said:

IMO, Authorities in Brazil will not declare specifically  closure of public baths but might declare cancellation of all public festivities and public gatherings  in order to avoid or to limit cross contamination. It is what happened in China where all New Year festivities were cancelled, then transit between Wuhan and other parts of China was stopped. 

Here we are. This has not happened yet in Brazil but these cancellations of public events and of gatherings are already a reality in some European countries in particular Italy and as a consequence, the saunas are closed (in Italy, in Berlin, ...) and I guess that if they are not closed, frequentation should be very low. 

I should be back to Brazil in May but will closely check the situation before flying. It is not easy (and not fun) to maintain a social distance of 5ft in a sauna cabin !

• Members
36 minutes ago, pauleiro said:

Here we are. This has not happened yet in Brazil but these cancellations of public events and of gatherings are already a reality in some European countries in particular Italy and as a consequence, the saunas are closed (in Italy, in Berlin, ...) and I guess that if they are not closed, frequentation should be very low. 

I should be back to Brazil in May but will closely check the situation before flying. It is not easy (and not fun) to maintain a social distance of 5ft in a sauna cabin !

You forgot to mention there are several cancellation of sports events in the U.S. too.

I have returned from Brazil well and sound, and "satisfied".  But I don't have plan to visit anywhere anytime soon until the global coronavirus situation clears out. 

Edited by Walker

• Members

My upcoming Airbnb host for my beach side-trip to the northeast of Brazil reached out for reciprocal information-sharing about incidence/prevalence my home of origin and to apprise me of the reported cases in his area. Thoughtful and well-balanced. I will be sharing the host’s home and facilities. Our risks to each other are matched at about 1:1 ...

My priority will not be brothel attendance though I do not think such venues will be Petri dishes ... yet. Likely still ‘dishy peters’.

• Members

Meanwhile ... my condo Board and 3rd party management, basic know-it-all dotards all, have messaged me indicating I must self-quarantine on return due to foreign travel. 

I can’t even.

I won’t bother asking them WTF, even a direct Iceland flight, for example. 

I always self-isolate, from the very same I pay monthly fees for them to be morons. LOL

• Members

Until today, people in saunas in Rio seemed to ignore the virus, only a small number of persons being tested positive. Now the virus is officially in almost all the states and the number of identified cases increases (200 confirmed - 1500 suspected). People around Bolsonaro who went with him to meet Trump in the US have been diagnosed positive (a Senator, the responsible of communication and the lawyer of Bolsonaro). At present Bolsonaro has been tested negative but will have to perform a second test soon. In SP where most of the identified cases occured, schools are going to be closed progressively next week. Mass gatherings of more than 500 persons are forbiden. 

Many flights to and from Brazil are cancelled : I was with a garoto in 117 tonite and he told me that a customer who was to arrive from Dallas today had his flight cancelled and cancelled therefore the whole trip.

ABC Bailao in SP (place where older gentlemen and youger men meet) is open but informed that this may change following to requests from Administration. They ask their visitors to avoid kissing, hand shaking, ...

20200313_234249.thumb.jpg.d5de55b69f68b1a918661e1f578cbf40.jpg

In 117, the manager passed today among boys and customers to spread an alcoholic gel on everyone's hands. There were less customers today in 117 and a rumor among boys says that the club might be closed soon (only a rumor, nothing certain but likely).

• Members

Best decision of my life was to have my upscale inguinal hernia repairs done at great cost in Florida Jan 8, so I could now be in Brazil (recovered). I suspect the insured hernia hospital in Toronto that had offered me mid-April might be cancelling these elective procedures, people come from all over the world. I’d be fucked and disabled with repeat incarceration. 

No word from Canada about being mid-trip, only advised not to leave Canada and to isolate on return, regardless of departure source.

The woman contracted to clean my place did not show and the host in charge of this worker has been radio silent. I received a packet of clean linens outside the door. I was not asked to deposit used ones for takeaway, as had been agreed last week. I watered the dying plants on the terrace I had told the host would need attention. No response my texts. People here are trying to interpret NorthAmer among other developments. I may be stereotyped. 

Edited by Riobard

• Members

I worked gowned and masked during SARS 2003. I bought up N95s 6 weeks ago. I cannot bear to watch people break all mask protocols. Because I brought them anyway I may wear the masks and goggles on Recife flight if not cancelled and my host does not cancel. So far he is reassured, but coming from SP ...

Glad I keep my apto SP those absent days. Hosts may panic and break Airbnb contracts. 

Not sure will visit the brothel quadfecta there. 

Edited by Riobard

1 hour ago, pauleiro said:

Until today, people in saunas in Rio seemed to ignore the virus, only a small number of persons being tested positive. Now the virus is officially in almost all the states and the number of identified cases increases (200 confirmed - 1500 suspected). People around Bolsonaro who went with him to meet Trump in the US have been diagnosed positive (a Senator, the responsible of communication and the lawyer of Bolsonaro). At present Bolsonaro has been tested negative but will have to perform a second test soon. In SP where most of the identified cases occured, schools are going to be closed progressively next week. Mass gatherings of more than 500 persons are forbiden. 

Many flights to and from Brazil are cancelled : I was with a garoto in 117 tonite and he told me that a customer who was to arrive from Dallas today had his flight cancelled and cancelled therefore the whole trip.

ABC Bailao in SP (place where older gentlemen and youger men meet) is open but informed that this may change following to requests from Administration. They ask their visitors to avoid kissing, hand shaking, ...

In 117, the manager passed today among boys and customers to spread an alcoholic gel on everyone's hands. There were less customers today in 117 and a rumor among boys says that the club might be closed soon (only a rumor, nothing certain but likely).

The Week is closing for this weekend and will reevaluate for future weekends.  They also postponed their multi-day Acquaplay Event, which was supposed to begin on April 10.

the week - general.JPG

the week - acuaplay.JPG