JKane

Covid dark humor

I find all the business of "I have a right not to wear a mask and not to get vaccinated - I have my rights under the American constitution blah blah" not just childish but anti-Constitution. Didn't the one good phrase Trump say to Bob Woodward in their various discussions about Woodward's book, "It's a war." Well, in a war, does the Constitution take precedence over fighting that war? is free speech still allowed? I very much doubt it. I used to get really worked up about the non-mask wearers and the antivaxers. Now I'd rather laugh about them. If they die, I'll not mourn.

• Members
1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

I find all the business of "I have a right not to wear a mask and not to get vaccinated - I have my rights under the American constitution blah blah" not just childish but anti-Constitution. Didn't the one good phrase Trump say to Bob Woodward in their various discussions about Woodward's book, "It's a war." Well, in a war, does the Constitution take precedence over fighting that war? is free speech still allowed? I very much doubt it. I used to get really worked up about the non-mask wearers and the antivaxers. Now I'd rather laugh about them. If they die, I'll not mourn.

Exactly, especially considering that George Washington ordered his troops to get the smallpox vaccine!  

5 hours ago, spoon said:

U could do it while they are in ICU, high chance of not surviving and even if they survive, that trauma will last.

I hope no one torments any other person near the moment of death for something they  did or did not do. It should surely be a time for comfort and peaceful preparation.

A propos the amusing, and sadly true, anecdote in @JKane's post above about Ronald Reagan whose determination not to acknowledge HIV-AIDS as the massive health disaster all his medical advisers tried to drum into him for years and who did not even mention the illness until his old gay pal Rock Hudson died, had he acted much earlier perhaps there would now be a vaccine. Perhaps. too. millions need not have died. Perhaps, too, the world could have saved trillions of $$ spent to date on HIV-AIDS programmes and research.

It always amazes me that American 'freedoms' mean that a very large number of people claim they have the right to decide whether they are vaccinated or not. If the country was at war, those freedoms would be quite seriously and legally curtailed. With most of the anti-vexers being Trump supporters and with Trump having told Bob Woodward that covid is a "war", one wonders why such anti-social people are allowed to get away with the stupid freedom argument at this time. It's almost as though they are perfectly happy to be at war with their fellow citizens whom they could infect and whose hospitals are once again chock full of covid cases.  Less than 2,500 Americans have died in 20 years of war in far off Afghanistan. Nearly 640,000 have died at home of covid. The cost of the war in Afghanistan is acknowledged at just under US$1 trillion. The losses amounting from covid so far - $16 trillion.  Priorities seem amazingly twisted.

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

perhaps because it's easier to make money producing bombs than vaccines?

Eisenhower's warning about the rise of military/industrial complex comes to mind. Important sometimes to realise the context and why he included this in this farewell speech (the use of bold face is mine).

"A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction...

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence—economic, political, even spiritual—is felt in every city, every statehouse, every office of the federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society. In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military–industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist.

"We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together."