PeterRS

The Number of Covid19 Cases Just Continues to Rise

that's sad and for families involved outright disaster but in  a great scheme of things not that bad for country of 70 million. 

There were European countries with half of Thailand's population with 30 000 cases and 600 deaths a day as late as April this year and managed to overcome it. Key word - vaccinations

I really hope thailand will manage to expedite their vaccination orders as thats the only way to reduce death and hospitalization. Cases might still be high due to delta variant but majority of the vaccinated patient are having little to none of the symptoms. So far, they have been slow but seems like few members have been able to get vaccines recently. 

Cases per population wise, malaysia is worse than thailand now, as we oy have 32 mil population and having similar cases daily with higher detah count. We are doing ok with vaccines though. Its a matter of time now as we are at 30%+ fully vaccinated of the population and averaging 400-500k daily doses. 

From Reuters

Thailand projects doubling of daily coronavirus infections next month

BANGKOK, Aug 13 (Reuters) - Thailand could see coronavirus cases double to 45,000 per day by early next month, even with current lockdown measures in place, its COVID-19 taskforce said on Friday, as authorities urged people to stay home to reduce infection risks.

Thailand has been struggling with its worst outbreak so far, with a daily average of 20,000 new infections and 180 deaths in the past week, compared to 70 new cases and single-digit daily fatalities less than five months ago.

Current travel restrictions and containment measures in place over the past month have yet to make an impact, the taskforce said.

"The lockdown has been 20% effective but the infections continue to rise, projected to reach about 45,000 cases per day by the start of or mid September," spokesman Taweesin Wisanuyothin told a news conference.

Citing health ministry projections, he said that if the lockdown could be 5% more effective and target groups vaccinated faster, there might still be 20,000 cases per day in two months.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-reports-second-day-record-coronavirus-cases-2021-08-13/

5 hours ago, reader said:

BANGKOK, Aug 13 (Reuters) - Thailand could see coronavirus cases double to 45,000 per day by early next month, even with current lockdown measures in place, its COVID-19 taskforce said on Friday, as authorities urged people to stay home to reduce infection risks . . . 

Current travel restrictions and containment measures in place over the past month have yet to make an impact, the taskforce said.

At last a dose of reality. But even that may not be the full tally since hospitals are already near full to overflowing. A disaster the government could and should have seen coming with its lax oversight and its monstrous error in allowing travel over Songkran just after the third wave hit. 

My young Thai friend who had managed to get dates for 2 jabs of the Sinopharm vaccine was told 3 days ago that the dates would have to be put back as the government had not yet approved Sinopharm! Then yesterday he was sent 2 new dates that are actually earlier than the original ones! Who is playing games with whom this time, I wonder?

4 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Can you blame them? They are interested in your erotic adventures as much as we are! Tell them they can read everything and much more on this message board!

I do. I was not coming from Thailand , nor even from Asia so this kind of interrogation smells very Stalinist for me

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

I do. I was not coming from Thailand , nor even from Asia so this kind of interrogation smells very Stalinist for me

Try entering the USA with lots of Thai stamps in your passport. Living here and travelling a lot, virtually every page has entry and exit stamps. Whenever I enter the USA,  I have no problem at Immigration. The moment a customs officer looks at the passport, I am told to go to a separate line. Then all my bags are searched.

In a separate thread I recently wrote about my Thai/Burmese friend and his issue with the Sinpharm vaccine. 10 days ago he took his two flatmates, both also Thai/Burmese, to hospital as he suspected they might have covid19. Both tested positive. My friend was negative. One is now much improved and has been moved to 14-day quarantine. This morning his other friend died. He was only 25. Unless more vaccines are quickly located and those in the younger age groups are vaccinated, I fear this will become a much more common occurrence.

6 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Try entering the USA with lots of Thai stamps in your passport. Living here and travelling a lot, virtually every page has entry and exit stamps. Whenever I enter the USA,  I have no problem at Immigration. The moment a customs officer looks at the passport, I am told to go to a separate line. Then all my bags are searched.

Sounds familiar

This is relevant to some of the discussions on vaccines which are in various threads.

Here is UK data showing reduction in death rate v age (source FT).  This shows why vaccines ought to be prioritized by age.

Also, considering the younger Thai lads that some of us know, well if he's got no underlying health conditions, he will be at lower risk than many board members with 2 vaccines.  In some cases, his risk may be orders of magnitude lower.

Covid vaccine effect by age.JPG

2 hours ago, z909 said:

This is relevant to some of the discussions on vaccines which are in various threads.

Here is UK data showing reduction in death rate v age (source FT).  This shows why vaccines ought to be prioritized by age.

Also, considering the younger Thai lads that some of us know, well if he's got no underlying health conditions, he will be at lower risk than many board members with 2 vaccines.  In some cases, his risk may be orders of magnitude lower.

Covid vaccine effect by age.JPG

Interesring to see how the death risk vs age are linear in log scale. Similarly, seems like vaccine reduced the risk by the same amount regardless of age. IMG_20210817_204857_209.thumb.jpg.40afca985f444c5f2c56a8e4d635a4c9.jpg

Malaysia also released the data of infected health care workers that are fully vaccinated. Out of 250k HCW, 7.5k have been infected, thus 3.05% of them have been infected despite constant exposure to the virus. Very impressive indeed. And out of those, only 17 require hospitalization (category 3-5) and 2 death. Most if not all HCW received 2 doses of Pfizer vaccine.