Londoner

Flights to Bangkok

For the EVA flights to make economic sense, I guess we need both Thailand and Taiwan to recognise that COVID is and will be endemic.   Thailand is edging slowly towards that during 2022.   I suspect Taiwan may take longer, but will probably get there.

As the pandemic took away my nice EVA premium economy seat, I've noticed a few things:

1 The Boeing 777 economy seat is awful.   I've sat on Thai buses with wooden floors that have better back support than in the back of a 777.  In comparison, the A380 economy seat is far better.

2 Indirect flights are better than expected.  However, flying from London, a change in Europe is better than a change in Dubai, as the latter doesn't really leave enough time to sleep on the second leg.

3 In a pandemic, book with an airline that has been running flights regularly.   Those who have operated flights tend to continue doing so.   Those who start selling tickets for an initial resumption of flights next month tend not to resume the flights.

I don't mind the Middle East stop. I have taken Qatar about half a dozen times now and have another flight to/from the UK next month. It departs Bangkok at around 2:30 am. I used to try and stay awake for the first 6'30" flight but then I found it difficult sleeping on the second. So now I take a pill and sleep for around 5 hours on the first sector and then relax, have the meals, watch movies and sometimes snooze for the second sector. On arrival I'm usually good till about 10:00 pm.

Returning to Thailand it's the opposite - a flight departing around 3:00 pm when i stay awake and then sleep on the second sector. A longer sleep would be nice but I am rarely able to stay asleep on a plane for much more than 5 - 6 hours, so it works for me. But if I have been in the UK for 3 or 4 weeks, I am always zonked on arrival in Thailand, even after non-stop flights. Flying east just does not work well for me.

After my second EVA flight was cancelled, I booked with Thai Air. The timings are nowhere as convenient for LHR-BKK....the arrival in BKK is too late to allow an evening of sanuk, while the return to London leaves BKK at 0010. 

Now that I've cancelled that flight too, this time owing to issues relating to P's vaccination, I was hoping to rebook on EVA....but the gods have seemingly decreed that nothing about my return to Thailand will be convenient or straightforward.

The old EVA 21:20 LHR departure and 15:30 (approx) arrival in Bangkok worked well.   Plenty of time to tidy up at home and get to the airport.  Sleep on the flight and plenty of time to get freshened up and go out after getting to Bangkok.

I also liked the early afternoon departure from Bangkok on the way home.  However, the alternative of departures after midnight have the advantage of allowing some sleep on the homebound flight.  The disadvantage is that going just after midnight wastes a day of the visa.  Unless, of course you assume immigration will count to the time you pass through passport control, rather than the flight time.

53 minutes ago, z909 said:

However, the alternative of departures after midnight have the advantage of allowing some sleep on the homebound flight.  The disadvantage is that going just after midnight wastes a day of the visa.  Unless, of course you assume immigration will count to the time you pass through passport control, rather than the flight time.

which is likely the case based on stamps in my passport 

17 hours ago, z909 said:

The disadvantage is that going just after midnight wastes a day of the visa.  Unless, of course you assume immigration will count to the time you pass through passport control, rather than the flight time.

As with @vinapu for late arrivals, when I arrive after midnight the immigration stamp is always the day before.

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

As with @vinapu for late arrivals, when I arrive after midnight the immigration stamp is always the day before.

Thanks for warning us.

Anyone arriving just after midnight and intending to use the maximum 30/60/90 days might have a problem after losing a day with the wrong arrival stamp ?

Surely if the flight is scheduled to land after midnight the stamp should be the ACTUAL date of arrival??

an equally if it is scheduled to arrive just before midnight, and is delayed, the stamp should be the next day?

I can imagine spending some time arguing this at Immigration as I don’t leave the desk untiI I personally check the stamp and expiry date!

16 hours ago, gerefan said:

Surely if the flight is scheduled to land after midnight the stamp should be the ACTUAL date of arrival??

an equally if it is scheduled to arrive just before midnight, and is delayed, the stamp should be the next day?

Of course. But then this is Thailand!

18 hours ago, gerefan said:

I can imagine spending some time arguing this at Immigration as I don’t leave the desk untiI I personally check the stamp and expiry date!

The stamp is the actual date of arrival no matter the exact time you arrived.

There is no point to argue with the immigration they have restricted rules it's like talking to robots.

1 hour ago, Boy69 said:

The stamp is the actual date of arrival no matter the exact time you arrived.

There is no point to argue with the immigration they have restricted rules it's like talking to robots.

Two members have stated they got stamps the day BEFORE they arrived, so it seems immigration were not following the rules.

I'd be tempted to challenge the matter, if needing every day on the immigration stamp.  However, in various countries, challenging public sector workers over errors is often unproductive.  

I miss the EVA London to Bangkok route, too.  Over the years I've tried all different routes.  Direct is always preferred but if needing to connect in Europe or the middle East both have their pros and cons for me.  I can never sleep during the flight but have learnt just to get comfortable and relax.  Going out to Bangkok connecting in Europe is preferred, a short hop from London and then connect for the long haul. Coming back from Bangkok is painful though.  I'm usually so tired once I get to Paris/Frankfurt/Amsterdam that the final short hour or so flight to London can be traumatic as I tend to fall in out of sleep on that final leg often disoriented and anxious.  I don't tend to experience that on the 2 middle East legs of 6/7 hour flights. Let's hope EVA restart again soon.

On 1/30/2022 at 7:48 AM, Midguy1 said:

I'm usually so tired once I get to Paris/Frankfurt/Amsterdam that the final short hour or so flight to London can be traumatic as I tend to fall in out of sleep on that final leg often disoriented and anxious.

My current favourite route to to go via Helsinki on Finnair. It's usually a 3+8 hour flight on the way out and 9+3 on the way back. 

Nice modern a350 fleet also and a hassle free transfer at Helsinki. Although the food is pretty awful!