Londoner

Flights to Bangkok

My EVA  flight booked on Wednesday;  cancelled today....no flights until March. The reason given? the delta variant. Really? we've known about that for months; has the prognosis for its spread in Thailand changed?

Not a disaster but a nuisance. I've rebooked flight, hotel and quarantine night.  But my concern is that, even when things seem to be getting back to a semblance of order, unexpected problems occur. And this one came right out of the blue. 

Any reports of other carriers cancelling Bangkok flights?

My reply on the other board:

QUOTE=Oliver2;284420]it seems odd to have been taking bookings  up to Wednesday and then making a decision today. What has changed in the past few days? Have I missed something? Has  the prognosis concerning Covid's spread changed? 
[/QUOTE]

My bet is that it has nothing to do with any variations of Covid.

About now most people will have booked their Xmas and New Year holidays. Eva would have looked at the figures and probably decided it was uneconomical to operate these flights.

Looking at recent figures published for flights and passenger arrivals at Savanabhumi it seems load factors are very low indeed. 

Thai procrastination, plus their horrendous bureaucracy, has probably put many off going to Thailand.

They are going to learn to regret it.

Some carriers seem to run fairly reliably.     Such as Swiss, KLM & Emirates.

In these times, I don't just book, but I do a little research  & check if the airline has a track record of operating the flight first.     

e.g. Use following link.   Then type your flight number in the Flight Number box.    It ought to show the last 7 days of flight arrivals for that flight, or more if you pay.  

https://www.flightradar24.com/data

If really keen, copy & paste the data to Excel, then check again a week later.  

4 hours ago, z909 said:

Some carriers seem to run fairly reliably.     Such as Swiss, KLM & Emirates.

In these times, I don't just book, but I do a little research  & check if the airline has a track record of operating the flight first.     

e.g. Use following link.   Then type your flight number in the Flight Number box.    It ought to show the last 7 days of flight arrivals for that flight, or more if you pay.  

https://www.flightradar24.com/data

If really keen, copy & paste the data to Excel, then check again a week later.  

Very useful thanks and a relief as my flights seem to be operating.

My original airline cancelled my flight a few weeks back - they have cancelled all flights to Thailand - but the one I have rebooked with seems to be functioning.

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

Until whole thing will be over we need to be mentally and financially prepared for sudden turns of the action for good and for bad. And act accordingly. Stressing it out won't help and alternative is just sitting at home and waiting and waiting. Did I say and waiting? 

I will wait. Covid cases in Europe are rising. Netherlands going into new lockdown. Also the gogo bars are still closed. Are massage shops open already? I will wait till at least a few weeks everything is back to normal. And boys have arrived back to Pattaya. Bars have been operating normally for a few weeks. Then I feel confident to return. I aim for January or February 

From The Thaiger / TTR Weekly

Scoot announces new service between Singapore and London Gatwick via Bangkok

Low-cost carrier Scoot, a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines, has confirmed a new service between Singapore and London, via Bangkok. TTR Weekly reports that the new service will launch on December 16. The announcement means Scoot is the only low-cost airline offering non-stop flights between Bangkok Suvarnabhumi and London.

The flight to Gatwick Airport will also be Scoot’s first service to the UK. Its parent company, Singapore Airlines, currently offers non-stop flights between Singapore and London Heathrow. Following its December 16 launch, the Scoot schedule to London Gatwick is expected to operate 3 times a week from March 2022 and frequency could increase further, subject to demand and regulatory approval.

The low-cost carrier will use the Boeing 787 Dreamliner on the Singapore – Gatwick route, offering seats in both Economy and ScootPlus, its premium cabin. Scoot currently has 20 Dreamliners in its fleet. The addition of the London Gatwick route means the low-cost carrier will be serving over 30 destinations from December 16, in a gradual return to the 68 cities it served prior to the pandemic. The low-cost airline currently offers daily flights between Singapore and Bangkok.

https://thethaiger.com/news/regional/singapore/scoot-announces-new-service-between-singapore-and-london-gatwick-via-bangkok

Don't take SCOOT! It's really horrible. I know they're low-cost, and I shouldn't really expect anything for a cheap price. But when you sum it up, it is actually not low cost.

For example, a promo fare from Berlin-Singapore is 205€ / way, and you will be in economy class without any entertainment system, no food, and no luggage, except for you 8kg hand carry. Everything else is additional even the use of power outlet/USB to charge your device would cost 5€. So to sum it up, a flight per way with meals and 20KG luggage would cost you around 280€-300€! Which is the same price when you book on regular airlines like KLM and Air France (You will only get cheap rates on regular airlines when you search roundtrip, which is fine bec everything now is rebookable for free.)

13 hours ago, aperolspritz said:

For example, a promo fare from Berlin-Singapore is 205€ / way, and you will be in economy class without any entertainment system, no food, and no luggage, except for you 8kg hand carry. Everything else is additional even the use of power outlet/USB to charge your device would cost 5€.

don't exaggerate.

Bring  a book, few sandwiches, buy a tea of coffee aboard , even if for 5 euros it will not break the bank. As for luggage learn to travel light and problem solved. Charge your device at the airport while waiting for boarding.

I'd be more concerned about leg room than those small inconveniences you mentioned. But that's me perhaps

Sorry to see this. I've used Air Asia for border runs and short trips. They got you from A to B for unbeatable prices and friendly crews.

From Bangkok Post

Thai AirAsia lays off staff amid aviation woes

Thai AirAsia (TAA) has announced mass layoffs and extended furloughs after struggling with the impact of the pandemic, despite the country's reopening on Nov 1.

Tassapon Bijleveld, executive chairman of Asia Aviation (AAV), the largest shareholder of TAA, made the announcement to TAA's employees on Wednesday, indicating that the real situation in terms of the aviation outlook remains unstable, prompting the company to reduce its fleet size next year and consequently reduce its workforce to maintain financial stability over the long run.

"Even though we've negotiated with suppliers and banks to help offload aircraft leasing costs, and we may get additional liquidity after restructuring this month, our balance sheet cannot be strong enough if those expenses still run. We have to permanently cut the fleet for at least two years or until international and domestic flights fully recover," Mr Tassapon said at the internal meeting.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2217999/thai-airasia-lays-off-staff-amid-aviation-woes

Airasia X are in huge trouble financially. They cant pay their debtor and now malaysia authority are chasing them to refund malaysian customers their money back, instead of just giving credit for future trips. My sympathy to the workers. Locally, airasia is doing ok here, and domestic flights taking off as usual. Though people here do complaint of very limited counter opened for check-in probably due to lack of staff too.

From The Thaiger

British Airways cancels over 2,000 flights including Bangkok

In the face of the spread of Covid-19 as infections surge in the UK, British Airways have suspended all their flights travelling to Bangkok until October of next year. Rumours began circulating about the possible cancellation earlier this week with popular travel sites speculating about the major airline suspending the route. Many passengers told stories of receiving cancellation notices from British Airways and the rumours were confirmed by a spokesperson for the airline who talked about refunds.

Aside from refunding, the airline is offering to reaccommodate passengers on cancelled flights on Qatar Airways flights from London to Doha to Bangkok instead, though the agreement between airlines is reported to be confirmed only until the end of March.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/british-airways-cancels-over-2000-flights-including-bangkok

=================================

Thailand sees tourism dropping due to Omicron worries

Thailand is seeing a dip in new incoming tourists that Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn has said is the predictable side effect of the new Omicron variant of Covid-19. Since December 8, the number of daily international travellers entering Thailand has fallen to less than 3,000 people per day.

Many are worried about the Omicron, which seems to be more transmissible than previous variants, though data suggests infections caused by the strain tend to be less severe. Travellers are choosing to cancel or postpone their travels, waiting until 2022, when hopefully we will have a better understanding of Omicron as well as better vaccine protection against it and containment.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thailand-sees-tourism-dropping-due-to-omicron-worries

Unfortunately and fortunately lack of tourists is visible and no doubt painfully felt financially. 

Visited MahaNakhon last afternoon, nice Sunday weather wise, chilling wind gently blowing and still around 4 pm they were moments with not a single person on the famed glass. Unthinkable on such day before restrictions. 

Patrons at Jupiter can be counted on both hands, at Hot Male, one would do at 10.30

On another hand dream of some about empty sidewalks of Silom at night come to even too successful realization. 

On third hand, is not that bad to have city to oneself in time which should be busiest of the year. 

5 hours ago, vinapu said:

Unfortunately and fortunately lack of tourists is visible and no doubt painfully felt financially. 

Visited MahaNakhon last afternoon, nice Sunday weather wise, chilling wind gently blowing and still around 4 pm they were moments with not a single person on the famed glass. Unthinkable on such day before restrictions. 

Patrons at Jupiter can be counted on both hands, at Hot Male, one would do at 10.30

On another hand dream of some about empty sidewalks of Silom at night come to even too successful realization. 

On third hand, is not that bad to have city to oneself in time which should be busiest of the year. 

And the most important fact is that you have all the boys of the city to yourself 😂

Normally in the UK, airlines have to use their slots at airports, or lose them.  That requirement was suspended due to COVID, but will be reinstated from the end of March, when airlines will need to use 70% of the slots.

This might just encourage airlines to reinstate flights, although of course this will be dependent on entry requirements in countries like Thailand and Taiwan. The EVA flight used to go from Heathrow to Taipei, via Bangkok.

I doubt that the latest "test and go (and quarantine again)" regime would generate enough traffic to fill direct flights from EVA, Thai and BA, as previously.

50 minutes ago, z909 said:

I doubt that the latest "test and go (and quarantine again)" regime would generate enough traffic to fill direct flights from EVA, Thai and BA, as previously.

then regime needs to be modified or eliminated altogether to comply with  market rules ? We will see how it 'll work

19 hours ago, Londoner said:

When EVA cancelled two separate bookings for January and then March,  the implication was that flights would assume in April at the latest. In fact, there are still no EVA flights to Bangkok, even in June.

I suspect EVA's cancellation of flights in the longer term is a result of the recent increases in covid cases on the island, especially a surge near Taoyuan where the international airport is located. After being nearly covid free, it was airline pilots and crew of China Airlines which brought the virus into the country who then broke the strict quarantine rules. Now a large cluster has been found amongst migrant workers and omicron is spreading as it has elsewhere. With Chinese New Year next week, there is the fear of a further spread.

Taiwan has been like Singapore and Thailand by paying far too little attention to migrant workers who tend to live in very crowded conditions. Had they been tested earlier, perhaps Taiwan would be closer to opening up. But the borders still remain resolutely closed. Given that, I'm sure the bosses at EVA cannot see the point of long haul flights. 

Over the last 2 years or so we have got used to there being no direct flights to Thailand From London (except for Thai’s rather poor service).

Consequently, I have got used to having to change enroute. Last year I flew with Swiss and apart from a slightly uncomfortable B777 it was faultless, with a short stopover in Zurich.

This  year I used Emirates and paid a bit more. It was superb.

I can’t see Eva returning any time soon, so we will just have to get used to it.