18past19

Any short term gym in Silom area?

I suspect the best short term gym option is to ensure your hotel has a gym.  Something like The Quarter.

Gym prices in Thailand seem higher than the UK, with higher fees for a lower standard of equipment.   I'm not looking to set up a business in Thailand, but if I were, then replicating a European style low cost gym chain would be interesting.

1 hour ago, z909 said:

if I were, then replicating a European style low cost gym chain would be interesting.

i will be your first client. 

Crowne plaza has a small fitness room but it is quite small and packed with no ventilation. 

as per suggestion by a local friend, i went to Celebrity Fitness gym at Samyan (?) mall this afternoon.  they dont have any plan for a short term use. the shortest i could purchase would be for 4 months, i was told. 

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

eat less, don't sleep during day, have a daily walk to Hualampong or ChitLom and back and don't let boys to do all the work should do the trick. Don't waste your money on gym, waste it on guys 

Lol. 

9 hours ago, 18past19 said:

….. to burn some calories? 

There is a free outdoor gym at the lumphini park. Should be open for all.

I used to visit Fitness Thaniya but sadly it seems they have closed which is a pity as their pool was great, my last few trips staying at the Raya Surawong I just did a couple of early morning 7am laps of Lumpini Park (yes a bit of an early bird) and that managed to burn off some calories. For that bit extra there is the connecting walkway between Lumpini and Benjakitti Park which makes for a fair lap of the two parks and gets those calories pouring out in sweat, even early mornings.

In Pattaya, one lad I know has joined a gym as his waistline is expanding.

He paid 1000 Baht for a month and has been 4 times.  I went there once and paid 100 for a single visit.  It's pretty dilapidated and is lacking maintenance.  For instance, the exercise bike has a knock every time the pedal goes around and the battery in the display has failed, so if you briefly stop, it loses track of all your hard work and the power settings.

In the UK, a budget gym costs under 700 Baht per month and I'm pretty sure it would be maintained, as they are professional chains, with several competitors.

Ideally, I would move on from the easy approach of giving this gym user "not-pompui" assurances to suggesting checks on WHAT he eats is the first step.  Record everything he eats and drinks, total up the calories and make substitutions for the worst offenders.   Ideally get rid of everything that has added ssugar.

Moving from polite assurances to useful advice is a risky approach.