reader

TM 6 immigration forms shelved for now at airports

From Bangkok Posr

The government will temporarily halt the need for international passengers to fill out TM 6 immigration forms to ease passenger congestion at international airports.

Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said after a cabinet meeting on Tuesday this would reduce the process for foreign visitors as they were already required to fill out many forms upon arrival. It will also help alleviate congestion as international arrival numbers have increased, he added.

Gen Prayut said authorities will evaluate the outcome of the announcement and consider if it needs to be revised, especially if they are unable to trace passengers. The Interior Ministry will expedite the drafting of the announcement, which is expected to finish in a week. Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul said foreign travellers who enter Thailand bey land or sea will still be required to fill out the form.

The move will save around 45.5 million baht a year in printing costs for an estimated 65 million TM 6 forms, she said.

Immigration police can still collect data on arrivals via the biometric systems at airports, while other travel data can be collected from airlines, Ms Traisuree said.

Thais have not needed to fill out a TM 6 since 2017.

in the plane before landing we were given long blue slip which we were supposed to fill up with basic information, then immigration office gave us part of it back whci we were supposed to guard and present to immigration officer on departure. Now it's supposedly gone

I arrived at BKK Swampy around 5:30pm on Tuesday and experienced no congestion at immigration even with having to fill the form out. The only area that looked a little backed up was Visa on Arrival area. 

However, I was in the second row on my flight and walk at a fairly brisk pace, so I may have been able to avoid congestion caused by my flight.