ichigo

Evolution of the Bangkok Mass Transit System

An interesting video, the BTS and MRT are my preferred mode of transport around Bangkok and when I'm going somewhere the first thing I check is the proximity of the stations. 

5 hours ago, TMax said:

, the BTS and MRT are my preferred mode of transport around Bangkok and when I'm going somewhere the first thing I check is the proximity of the stations. 

# me too, after being stuck in traffic in taxis or busses for hour or more now if there's no MRT, SRT  or BTS nearby I take taxi to nearest station only  and go by transit from there even i way is  circular. 

I only hope like millions of others that in this computer age somebody finally will come with integrated method of payment so one can go from airport to hotel without buying ticket 2 or 3 times. This wa said million times and still we are in the cave.

5 minutes ago, ichigo said:

This I am waiting for also!!

one day it will come, after all it works in may places including where I live so is not like they need to invent the wheel. On another hand here it took about 3 years to fully implement it so improvement won't be likely immediate but even first step will be welcomed, say Rabbit card accepted on ARL link to Swampy or on both SRT red lines.

5 hours ago, young11 said:

I saw visa cards issued by a certain local bank are accepted by MRT touch and go, so I think it is not that far future. It didn't accept my international visa card. Hope next time they accept international visa cards

When I was in BKK last month, the MRT took my UK Mastercard, no problem. I was surprised, and pleased! Just like London!

On 2/20/2023 at 4:29 AM, vinapu said:

one day it will come, after all it works in may places including where I live so is not like they need to invent the wheel. On another hand here it took about 3 years to fully implement it so improvement won't be likely immediate but even first step will be welcomed, say Rabbit card accepted on ARL link to Swampy or on both SRT red lines.

Our friend @vinapu being ever hopeful as usual. Nothing wrong with that but this is Thailand! It's why there are so many tolls on the expressways within the city. No one politician (oops!) can be given the total contract. It has to be parcelled out to various pals so each can first buy up the land and then make profits from part of an expressway.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:52 AM, Keithambrose said:

When I was in BKK last month, the MRT took my UK Mastercard, no problem. I was surprised, and pleased! Just like London!

On reflection, the MasterCard I used was a UK Post Office foreign currency Card, which I had loaded with Baht and $ etc. Useful, as no annoying currency charges etc. It may be that was why it worked!

BTS and all other interconnected mass transport options are excellent alternative transport. Fast, relatively cheap, and not as crowded. Those who’ve ever tried mass transport in manila or Delhi would know how riding one could be intimidating.

Has any of you remember Bangkok pre-BTS/MRT? It’s actually prettier with wide roads and no blocked views. Bus 76 and 77 are a staple. 

On 2/23/2023 at 7:40 AM, Keithambrose said:

On reflection, the MasterCard I used was a UK Post Office foreign currency Card, which I had loaded with Baht and $ etc. Useful, as no annoying currency charges etc. It may be that was why it worked!

I thought pretty much any contactless enabled Visa or MC credit card worked. You would just want to make sure it's a card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees

https://metro.bemplc.co.th/EMV-Contactless

• Members
On 2/19/2023 at 6:58 PM, vinapu said:

# me too, after being stuck in traffic in taxis or busses for hour or more now if there's no MRT, SRT  or BTS nearby I take taxi to nearest station only  and go by transit from there even i way is  circular. 

I only hope like millions of others that in this computer age somebody finally will come with integrated method of payment so one can go from airport to hotel without buying ticket 2 or 3 times. This wa said million times and still we are in the cave.

All you have to do is find the nearest skyscraper and order a Heli-taxi 😜

On 2/24/2023 at 1:41 PM, fedssocr said:

I thought pretty much any contactless enabled Visa or MC credit card worked. You would just want to make sure it's a card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees

https://metro.bemplc.co.th/EMV-Contactless

However, young11 found his card was not accepted. The website you quote leads you to a page where you have to register your card for it to be accepted. I did not have to do that.