dellboy

silom/sathorn

hi all

i hope to be in bangkok in a few weeks for two days then onward for 14 days to pattaya . i need some advice , namely which hotel is best to stay close to middle of the action . also , would i be best in the area for day time activities or stay in suk ? 

appreciate any advice i can get . BTW im not a newbie but am new to  this area !! 

thanks ! 

If you want to be in the middle of action, you should stay in Surawong/Silom area. The higher end choice is Le Meridien. Tarntawan is also a popular choice thought a bit older. But cheaper price can compensate that. And there is a newcomer Ibis Styles on Silom Rd seems good and close to both actions and BTS station.

• Members
39 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

Pick somewhere close to the BTS or MRT for easy travel if you want to go shopping on Sukhumvit.

The Crowne Plaza Lumpini is well located and I always found it very comfortable. 

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza early on.  I can't remember what it was called then. But the elevators had no A/C, which made for some warm rides.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

But the elevators had no A/C, which made for some warm rides.

There is no easy way to get central air to the elevator other than the natural exchange of the ambient air conditioned air as the doors open and close and people enter and exit. This is usually sufficient since elevator s are typically in the center of buildings.

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza early on.  I can't remember what it was called then. But the elevators had no A/C, which made for some warm rides.

I can't say that I ever noticed that. The one annoying thing was that you have to use two elevators every time you leave and come back since the lobby for the hotel is on something like the 23rd floor

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza on my most recent trip and found it quite comfortable. Yes you do have to take an elevator to the 23rd floor and then another one to your room, but apart from that, decent buffet breakfast with a variety of options (I don't usually have hotel breakfast, but because it was included in my room rate I ate it), spacious room and bathroom (with a Japanese style electronic bidet), very guest friendly, close to the BTS Sala Daeng/MRT Silom, and close to the gogo bars. A little more expensive that some of the other offerings but I would definitely stay there again.

13 hours ago, alexrick said:

If you want to be in the middle of action, you should stay in Surawong/Silom area. The higher end choice is Le Meridien.

I stayed at Le Meridien early last year when returnees still had to have covid testing and spend one night in an approved hotel. It's a lovely hotel and the breakfast was great. It permits guests in the rooms without any fuss. A 5-8 minute walk takes you to the Skytrain station at Saladaeng or the Samyan MRT (subway) station. These easily get you to many parts of the city. But it is pricier with the cheapest average room rate next month being close to US$200.

I only stayed once at the Crowne Plaza in its previous incarnation as the Pan Pacific. I found it a little offputting having to exit the first lift on the 23rd floor to get another to my room if I had brought company. But the reason I decided I would never stay again is that i was accused on check-out of stealing a bathrobe! Never in decades of travelling a vast number of kilometres around the world have I ever been accused of taking anything from a room. And what was so silly on this occasion was that I only had a small trolley bag which would have had difficulty stuffing into it a fluffy bathrobe along with my own clothes. Even so I was still asked to open my bag. Mind you, the management has changed long since then.