flaneur

Bangkok adventures, observations and dilemmas

5 hours ago, flaneur said:

.... I hope this is interesting even to just one person!   

certainly count me in.

Thank you for great report.

Glad to learn you gave Tawan and Sol another chance. Screwboys mamasan may seem to be quite persistent but as mamasan goes she  is most informative and up to a point.

Happy to hear about successful venturing into Arena, that may be bit in need to upkeep but in exchange they never disappoint.

About Dreamboys that summarily execution seems rash indeed and it's not only non-Thais who were let go. I got information about it from Thais who worked there and shared that sad fate. 

I agree with reader that maintaining non-Thai policy may result with staffing problem   in future. Good to hear that crew on the stage was good looking as it was not my experience when I visited last in May. I'm not ageist being ancient myself but there were way too many veterans of soi Twilight including one whom I even then and there in the soi considered too mature to put it charitably.  On another hand quite possibly they had their takers. I  at times find myself happy in company of guy some members run away screaming from for reason of  look, age or weight , just to name a few.

Sol guy who claimed  not to be offed for 2 weeks could be telling you a truth. Sometimes even most attractive guys are going days without an off.

Once I tipped guy just for a look and boy sitting with me told me ' good you tipped him , he did not have off for 3 months !" . No reason to doubt.

Waiting for a next installment. Speaking  about Vientiane, did they finish that fountain renovation ? 

if you have time visit Buddha park, easy to get by bus from Central Bus station , great name to half ruined but still very efficient transportation hub. 

That Luang golden stupa is not a tourist trap and it should not to be missed if only because  is symbol of Laos. If you are planning Luang Prabang, take a train.

On 11/4/2023 at 1:29 PM, flaneur said:

Thank you for the replies.  Forrestreid your post is brilliant.  I think I am back in Bangkok in a fortnight and I will follow much of your itinerary, for sure! You correctly make reference to Paris but it is also important to recognise London (in the past, Camden, and now East London) and Dublin. 

Thanks for the kind words Flaneur, I think Bangkok is one of the best cities in the World for just wandering around.

3 hours ago, scott456 said:

Hot, humid, air pollution,  noise pollution, chaotic, crowded.  These are just some issues you encounter when wandering around in this city.

Being your usual ray of sunshine on a thread, I see, scott456. 

I should have added to my suggested itinerary that one should do start it sundown or later, to escape the worst of the heat.

But to be a "flaneur" means that you are, of necessity, in a big vibrant city, so noise and air pollution, and facing chaos and crowds,are pretty unavoidable.

However, I dont think you will get another tropical or subtropical city anywhere in the world that combines Bangkok for the variety of street and bar life combined with the relative safety of your person. Singapore felt very pleasant and safe to stroll around in the evenings,but it was of less fascination.

I haven't been to Jakarta or Manila (or indeed Rio or Bogota) but I suspect the feeling of safety there would be quite a bit lower.

56 minutes ago, forrestreid said:

I haven't been to Jakarta or Manila (or indeed Rio or Bogota) but I suspect the feeling of safety there would be quite a bit lower.

You'll find that being a true flâneur is quite impossible in either Jakarta or Manila. Certain areas are easily walkable (and quite safe) for limited stretches and provide sights and sites to observe at an easy pace.

But mostly those two megalopolises are collections of mini-cities, former villages, and large neighborhoods that aren't conducive to strolling. And getting to the various areas for authentic flânerie can often be a lengthy and daunting process.

11 hours ago, scott456 said:

Hot, humid, air pollution,  noise pollution, chaotic, crowded.  

that's exactly what makes it so interesting to wander and put's it apart from Tampere , Finland or Lausanne , Switzerland and the likes , cold , with clean and dry air , quiet, well organized , spacious and unfortunately boring