PeterRS

The Ageing of Pop

They were my teenage idols, groups whose shelf lives were usually brief. They shone like bright stars only to die as younger ones rose in their place. The Hollies, Marmalade, Herman's Hermits, Cream, The Animals, The Dave Clark Five, The Monkees, Procul Harem . . . the list is long. Many of the songs remain on my favourites list. Setting The Beatles aside, my all-time favourite album remains Procul Harem's Grand Hotel, an amazing collection of fantastic songs with the earthy vocals of Gary Brooker.

Some, of course, have lasted the course. Who would have thought that The Beatles would today be launching their final single even though two passed away decades ago. Or that The Rolling Stones would not only have launched a new album which has raced to the No. 1 spot in many countries, the group will continue to tour next year. Mick Jagger is 80, for goodness sake - an age when most of us are sipping our Singhas and enjoying a life of retirement with energy levels much reduced although with a Thai boy sometimes in our beds and thanks to little pills which keep everything functioning as it should! The octogenarian Sir Paul McCartney and near-octogenarian Sir Elton John, who has just completed a multi-year tour of his own, take part on that Stones album.

Dionne Warwick whose equally earthy tones led to her being the muse of Burt Bacharach for many years continued well beyond the 1960s and remains a true icon. Moving forward in years, Gloria Gaynor's star shone briefly for a while as a gay icon with I Will Survive and I Am Who I Am, the latter from the iconic gay musical the Jerry Herman/Harvey Fierstein La Cage aux Folles (far better than the later Hollywood movie although nothing could beat the original French one) which I saw twice on Broadway with Gene Barry and the incomparable George Hearn. The start of the disco revolution when I danced along with a gazillion others to Donna Summer, The Village People, The Bee Gees . . . ah! those were the days when music helped in a small way to take our minds off the ravages of AIDS then startng to spread its tentacles around the world. I suppose - unfortunately (well, his music is certainly not my kind of music) - we cannot forget that ever-youthful octogenarian, perhaps even gay although he vociferously denies it, Cliff Richard

We will all have our own favourites. I just wonder which young artists now in their 20s and early 30s of today will last anywhere as long. Some in their middle age like Lady Gaga, Madonna and Janet Jackson will always be there, I reckon. Yet quite a few in the younger group are already burned out or taking lengthy breaks for a variety of reasons including Ariana Grande, Selina Gomez, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber . . . It's almost as though in this day of social media, that is what can quickly build up a 'star' and unless that star is always up there at the top of the posting lists (I am not on social media and so do not know the correct term!) the fans can just as quickly abandon them. In the 'old' days' we relied on television if we wanted to see the stars and a variety of gossip magazines if we wanted to know a little more about their lives. But then, of course, there were the great songs and great performances.

Or is that just the view of an ageing hippie with a hankering for the old days?

When I moved into smaller living quarters I gave away a bunch of old vinyl.  It was like parting with old books that I’ve always found difficult. As I think back on the artists, first that come to mind is the Eagles, Bellamy Brothers, Don McLean, Beachboys and very likely a handful of some of Peter’s selection. Ashamed to admit I can no longer find the names for the songs I can still hear.

No matter what the youngsters say, pop will never be that good again.

I should certainly have mentioned both The Beach Boys and The Eagles.

On my last visit to the UK in March, I travelled a short distance to meet an old University friend whom I keep up with on most visits. This trip he selected a small restaurant we had not been to before. Walking from the train, I was absolutely delighted to find a shop selling only 'oldies' both on vinyl and CD transfers, all at ultra bargain prices. One of The Monkees which I would not normally have bought was £1.99 for a double album! I'll be back at that shop when I am over next in May.

It's a different era now with much more specialization. There's a niche for everyone. Today's megastars like Taylor Swift will continue on for a while. But she'll be a billionaire if she isn't already so there might not be as much urgency to keep going. I'd image that Mick and the boys have more money than they'll ever need too - and certainly Paul McCartney is beyond wealthy. I wonder if the fact that it took them a good while to get that wealthy makes a difference. But I suppose once you have performed so many huge shows it probably gets to be a bit of an addiction. 

An artist that I along, with a lot of people, have fallen in love with is Ren. He recently hit Number 1 on the UK Album charts with his Sick Boi EP.

He's a bit of a genre-bender, and an indepedent artist.

Most people first encounter him from his live performance, 1 shot, viral music video: 'Hi Ren'...

But knowing you guys, you might at least appreciate the visuals of

or indeed the hauntingly wonderful Crutch, which he made when he was suffering with the effects of undiagnosed Lyme Disease, and was convinced that he was going to die before he turned 30.

And

is defintely a watch all the way through.

His catalogue is extensive. I hope you guys enjoy as much as I do, and dive down the Ren rabbit hole. There is so much more than what I've linked to here :)

In the UK, vinyl records have made quite a comeback. Som particular LPs are proving quite valuable, and near me a shop has opened just buying and selling vinyl LPs. I still have a shelf of vinyl LLs, mostly classical, but no record deck!

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

you may be sitting on gold mine

Most went to friends but, yes, I probably could have monetized to help buy next ticket.

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

ok, I give up, he doesn't look like that massive though. 

Another point to perennial discussion about apps vs meeting in person I guess

Above photo from rookie year. Here’s more recent.

image.thumb.jpeg.842c2535592b6d22eaec4ebdc5682e2e.jpeg

Re Frankie Vallie still touring - makes you wonder just HOW big that debt was that he took on when agreeing to pay of Mob's 'loan" back then if the poor guy is STILL having to tour at 89 ?!  Oh well, at least he doesn't have to actually sing to much as it seems most of his tours have been lessons in lip syncing for several years now  - and why not I say, poor man is entitled to a rest ! 😉

I missed two classic songs which have remained favourites since they first came out. First was Roy Orbison's mid-1960s hit "It's Over", reflecting nicely the mood of a young teenager with a crush which was not reciprocated.

The second is the famous mid-1970s Eric Carmen number "All By Myself" with the main melody lifted unashamedly from the classical composer Sergei Rachmaninov's Second Piano Concerto. Carmen himself ws a trained classical pianist and he just assumed when it was released in 1975 that Rachmaninov's music was out of copyright. It was in the USA but neither he nor the record label realised itwas still under copyright in Europe. So they quickly had to do a deal whereby the Rachmaninov estate got a rather nice 12% royalty. Carmen's other most popular song "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again" also has as its main theme a melody from Rachmaninov's Second Symphony. Again a 12% royalty went to the estate!