PeterRS

Gay Thai Chat Rooms and Asian Travel Web Sites

5 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

I don't imagine the Asian participants in this forum to be young. In my mind, I picture them as folks mostly over 40, with sufficient disposable income and an interest in places that trade in sex, like most others here.

Perfectly understand. But most of the comments I see here from regular posters seem to indicate a greater presence in the gay spots of younger Asians - in my view therefore under 40, although I do accept a 40-year old Asian can sometimes look like a 30 year old foreigner! But I stand by my earlier comments that regrettably I can see no increase in participation by Asians on this site. It will be interesting to find out the views of other regular posters. 

Yes, like others, I have seen the young Asians in the gogo bars, including some who offed dancers. I have also seen young Asians in massage places. But there are more older Asians in both places, though by "older", I don't mean geriatric. I mean something like 40 - 50. 

In the days when Hero was at its peak, and that place used to have, at nearly all times, customers in the lounge looking at the glassed room - and Hero was very popular with the Asian crowd - there were opportunities for overhearing their conversations and forming some idea of the demographic profile. Most, I believe would be from non-English-speaking countries, a conclusion I could make from overhearing - therfore unlikely that they are on this board.  However, I could hear some of them speaking among themselves in English. So these guys are English-speaking Asians (probably Singapore and Malaysia). They were younger than the average farang, but not that young. That's the constituency I am thinking of when I speak of Asians on this board.

On 11/12/2023 at 2:42 PM, reader said:

I’ve come across some Chinese language sites that frequently post about Bangkok. Once translated some of the stuff. Not surprisingly, they seemed to be discussing same stuff we do.

They share the information in Wechat or QQ. The information updated quickly.  The Chinese visited here were scared due to the China Hater.

6 hours ago, PeterRS said:

But most of the comments I see here from regular posters seem to indicate a greater presence in the gay spots of younger Asians - in my view therefore under 40, although I do accept a 40-year old Asian can sometimes look like a 30 year old foreigner! But I stand by my earlier comments that regrettably I can see no increase in participation by Asians on this site. It will be interesting to find out the views of other regular posters. 

As for participation I don't bother worrying where posters are coming from as long as they participate. Not all farangs here are geriatric, whatever it means ,  too.

Fact that board is in English naturally limits participation of Asian members to those who are not as much proficient as comfortable using that tongue. I suspect and this is based on PM I'm receiving from time to time that number of younger Asians  reading us but not contributing is higher than we suspect. But this is my guess.

As for presence in gay spots yes, I agree that younger Asians including girls are much more prevalent than younger farangs and at other end of age scale it is other way around. In some spots like Tawan it's is plainly visible. What I also see is that younger Asians of both sexes are offing. Annoyingly often guys I like and I'm not slow decision maker but still they seem to be faster. Eh, be young again! 

Also in spas younger Asians are aplenty although one never knows those are visitors or locals.  

26 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Also in spas younger Asians are aplenty although one never knows those are visitors or locals. 

Interesting views - thanks. As for spas, younger Asians are definitely more into spas and dance clubs than they are into offing from bars. They go to bars but more just to see the shows. Not every one of course, but I suspect well over 50%.

I haven't been a gogo bar goer for a few years. I wonder what the boys themselves say.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:54 AM, PeterRS said:

You have definitely got me confused with another poster. Unlike some of my friends, I am not a regular club goer in Taipei and certainly would never have mentioned Candy. I don't even know what it is! I have mentioned the small Commander D which I have been to and is quite close to The Red House. G*Star is much bigger and probably the most famous. I hear that Abrazo, Bacio, Werk and Bush at B1 are among others worth considering. @hojacat wrote a post about Hunt being virtually a club but it seems to have a different dress theme each night. You can find the post earler in this forum.

Best is to chat with some of the guys who go to the various Red House cafes for drinks or dinner. With the rainy season almost over, it will be packed at week-end nights and pretty busy the rest of the week. I go regularly for drinks to Sol Bar and the waiters there speak good English. They will know the latest 'in' places.

Since it seems you don't like Taipei/Taiwan why bother going? Others really like it. Some love it.

Maybe he was referring to a post about Candy Land ( a dance party held monthly in Taipei) that I did posted in another thread. It's a short Youtube video I found of it. Now about the debate regarding gay venues in Taipei: when it comes to bars, dance clubs, drag shows, circuit parties, I have zero or almost zero interest in them, no matter the size or quality so will let others argue about them. Yeah, I have been to most of the bars and clubs in Taipei(Abrazo, G*star, etc) but that's because I have been so many times and can't say no to my local friends when they want to bring me with them.

The only two types of gay venues I really care about in Taipei and every other city I visit are: saunas and cruise/sex clubs. Now, I guess there is general consensus that Soi13 can compete against  the best saunas of any Asian city like BKK (R3, Krubb), HK (Hutong), Tokyo (24 Kaikan), etc in terms of size, venues, quality of guys, action happening, etc.

Also while it is true that cruising clubs like Commander or the Hunt are much smaller and less hardcore than the same kind of venues in other places like The Lab in Berlin, SBN in London, GBU parties in NYC and LA, given that in those places I'm only into 10-15% of the crowd while in Taipei that number goes to 80-85% (yes, a shameless and unrepented rice queen in here) I still find patronizing those venues in Taipei a damn good way of spending my time.

At the end, I guess, different strokes for different folks. Taipei has a good and solid base of admirers which is only getting bigger (witnessed first-hand during pride the enthusiastic reactions to the city of people visiting for the first time).

On a note, is there a proper sex/cruising bar in BKK (not counting go-go bars)?

1 hour ago, hojacat said:

I still find patronizing those venues in Taipei a damn good way of spending my time.

At the end, I guess, different strokes for different folks. Taipei has a good and solid base of admirers which is only getting bigger (witnessed first-hand during pride the enthusiastic reactions to the city of people visiting for the first time).

Thanks for confirming the fact that Taipei has a vibrant gay nightlife for you! 🥳 🎉

20 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

However, I could hear some of them speaking among themselves in English. So these guys are English-speaking Asians (probably Singapore and Malaysia). They were younger than the average farang, but not that young. That's the constituency I am thinking of when I speak of Asians on this board.

Hero and other massage places would certainly have been a major attraction for guys from other parts of Asia. Many Singaporeans and Malaysians are relatively easy to spot (in terms of conversation) because of the very particular manner of speech and the very common use of some SInglish words. I was only at Hero once because my favourite massage spa ever since the week-end it opened (when I just happened to be staying with friends on Suk 15) was Albury quite nearby. I went frequently until it moved to its location on that street just beyond Emporium and down nearer the Rama 4 end. But I almost always booked my masseur in advance and so rarely mingled with other customers. So I could not offer any conclusion about nationalities.

My guess is that of the comments in the extensive Travel Hut section of the Singapore-based Blowing Wind site, by far the majority are about massage and specific masseurs. Very few about gogo bars.

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

What about Imperial Palace Museum ?

Worth a visit every time. There was a problem for a few years prior to covid but oinly because there were so many tour buses packed with Chinese from the mainland seemingly arriving almost every minute. Compared to a decade or more earlier, seeing some of the most popular exhibits - like the exquisite tiny white and green jade cabbage with the two tiny insects on it (as on the cover of the Museum's catalogue) - meant waiting or just barging to the front. Now it is far easier.

Taipei11.thumb.jpg.a870b11522e23dc0423d40061a06d6c9.jpg

• Members
On 11/18/2023 at 1:32 PM, Marc in Calif said:

Thanks for confirming the fact that Taipei has a vibrant gay nightlife for you! 🥳 🎉

@hojacat confirmed many things about Taipei night life, both good and bad.  And, he did point out he is a rice queen.

BTW, so far, nobody has disputed the fact that the majority of gays in Taiwan are bottom.  

• Members
On 11/14/2023 at 12:55 PM, Marc in Calif said:

You've been to Taipei twice. You've apparently experienced "nightlife" only in Ximen's tiny Red House district. You've commented on only four venues, and another of your comments is based on merely looking at a YouTube clip to assess the size of a venue. 🙈  And you apparently don't know about the (sometimes wild) dance parties held monthly at many of the clubs. Nor do you know about other lively districts in the city. Most hilarious and absurd is this: You claim that "90% of the gays in Taiwan are bottoms."  🤣🤡🤣

Since 1975, I've been to Taipei (and other Taiwanese cities) probably seven or eight times. I've never based myself (or my activities) exlusively in or near your little Gay Village. I've stayed at hotels in Songshan, Xinyi and other districts in the eastern part of the city. They're more lively/crowded than your little area. At night, I often go to music clubs, concerts, bars, theatres, and of course restaurants.

If gay friends or colleagues want to go "gay" for the evening, there are dozens of bars, clubs, saunas, and other venues -- including restaurants -- that cater to us. What??? They don't have boys to ogle and be "offed"? They're small? They don't blast music? They're in a basement? Then of course they're not your kind of "nightlife"... so they don't count! 🥰

Yes, these can be small places. So what? They're lively at night with gay people. That's what "nightlife" means to gay people who aren't totally obsessed with sex and loud music! 💡

And if you've never gone to Fairy Taipei bar/restaurant or Abrazo bar/bistro for a regular evening or a special theme event, you don't know what fun nightlife really is. Period. We don't even have such places in San Francisco.

Wait??? They're "small"? There are no hustlers? Nope! So they're clearly not for you and your very limited interests.  😎

I'm afraid that you're accustomed to being a sex tourist in Thailand, where your favorite nightlife seems to be going to go-go/strip clubs and loud dance clubs, all with the goal of "offing" a "boy." That's sad, and it limits your exposure to everything else that's available at night (real nightlife) in a city. 

No, gay guys in Taipei don't "just go home and sleep in the evenings" -- as you hilariously claimed. You just don't know where they're having fun at night while you're obsessively trolling for sex in one tiny area of the city. 😊 😊 😊

On 11/14/2023 at 1:42 PM, scott456 said:

Thanks for your long explanation and letting us know you have been to Taiwan 7-8 times in the past 48 years.  I will just make a few points here:  Many people on this forum are mainly interesed in sex tourism.  Sex tourism is not sad and I am proud to be a sex tourist and look for paid sex opportunities anywhere in the world. Also thank you for your confirmation that the aforementioned "clubs" in Taipei are tiny small with bad sound systems. These are just material facts.  I agree that it is a matter of subjective opinion wether these "clubs" are fun or not.  As I stated in my previous post,  I was merely contributing my opinions to this board. Finally, you should know, there are plenty of vibrant gay bars, clubs, restaurants, sex clubs in San Francisco, however, for older gays, these clubs and crowds as well as many gay clubs in the western world may not be as welcoming as the clubs in Asia.  How often do you go out in San Francisco now?

On 11/17/2023 at 11:43 AM, scott456 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  So you are comparing Taipei with your home(or old home) San Francisco. San Francisco has not been a gay destination for a long time(not sure if it ever was).  But, you do you.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, Marc in Calif said:

I never mentioned San Francisco until you brought up it's "vibrant" gay nightlife, including "vibrant" sex clubs that don't exist today. So I corrected you there because YOU brought it up. You were just doing you, as usual! 😘

Please read the previous posts.  You brought up San Francisco first.

7 minutes ago, scott456 said:

BTW, so far, nobody has disputed the fact that the majority of gays in Taiwan are bottom.  

I just phoned a Taipei friend who in his first relationship (with a fellow Taiwanese) was as a bottom. Now in his marriage (also to a Taiwanese) he is the top - and enjoys it! His view is that there are probably an equal number of each. But he added that the ones more attracted to foreigners may well be more bottom than top. As anyone who goes to gay bars, saunas etc., it's clear that many Taiwanese do not wish to mix and have sex with a foreigner. Could these be mostly tops? My guess is as good as anyone's.

4 minutes ago, scott456 said:

Do you know this art piece is actually broken and repaired?  Please call and ask your Taiwanese friend to confirm.

There are three pieces of art in this image. Which one was broken and repaired? When?

The only significant thing to know is whether it's on display at the present time. Is it?

On 11/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, scott456 said:

Oh, did I mention you need to be a top because 90% of the gays in Taiwan are bottoms and eager to be fucked by whoever and whatever.  Perhaps this is exactly why you love it there.

On the subject of who said what and first, you never provided any facts whatever for your comment about "90% of gays in Taiwan are bottoms." You then later backtracked and claimed it was an "opinion". Funny you did not mention that the first time you made the claim! Later you talked about one of the larger bars being packed with "the girly bottom boys."  And you suggested that Taiwanese "just go home and sleep in the evenings."

And on what was this opinion based? We can only assume the two visits you then informed readers you had made to Taipei? Well, readers can make their own judgements about how accurate or otherwise that opinion might be!

• Members
1 minute ago, PeterRS said:

On the subject of who said what and first, you never provided any facts whatever for your comment about "90% of gays in Taiwan are bottoms." You then later backtracked and claimed it was an "opinion". Funny you did not mention that the first time you made the claim! Later you talked about one of the larger bars being packed with "the girly bottom boys."  And you suggested that Taiwanese "just go home and sleep in the evenings."

And on what was this opinion based? We can only assume the two visits you then informed readers you had made to Taipei? Well, readers can make their own judgements about how accurate or otherwise that opinion might be!

14 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

My guess is as good as anyone's.

Thanks for replying to your post for me.

30 minutes ago, scott456 said:

The Jade Bak Choi.  

Thanks for correcting your comment by supplying the name of the specific work you were talking about (in an image with three different works). Why didn't you say so in the first place instead of saying "this art piece"? 😂

So when was it broken and repaired? Is it on display now?

Do you know for a fact that it was damaged in 2022 when two teacups were broken and a plate was dropped at the museum? 

You seem to think that you're somehow discrediting @PeterRS for not knowing something about a particular  piece of art -- something that YOU don't even know yourself! 😎

31 minutes ago, scott456 said:

The Jade Bak Choi.

It seems you cannot distinguish between the Chinese Cabbage on display (and so named in the catalogue) and Bok Choi (not Bak Choi)! And if you cannot differentiate between a Chinese Cabbage and the other two artworks on display on the Museum's catalogue cover, then you clearly know even less about Chinese art - as well as sounding more than slightly stupid! Indeed, I wonder why you bothered even to comment. Oh, and yes, I am perfectly well aware it is made out of jadeite and not jade, but then some readers might not have known the difference.

Now can you please tell us your source for the broken Cabbage and when - as you have claimed - it was broken and repaired? For I can find no source whatever to substantiate your claim. It was certainly reported in 2022 that three artworks in the Museum from the Ming and Qing dynasties had been broken, but these had never been put on display.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/taiwan-national-palace-museum-admitted-breaking-uninsured-ming-qing-dynasty-artefacts-3035871