unicorn

Mexican lynching on Good Friday

• Members
  • Members
56 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I wouldn't bring Jesus into that...

I was thinking of the Bible story in which Jesus is purported to have said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." And I think most people would consider murder a sin.

Divine Mercy in Action - Let he who is without sin cast the first stoneJesus defended the woman adulterer and rebuked the Pharisees “He who is  without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first” John 8 Verse 7 |  ...

The girl who was kidnaped was murdered.

I'm in Mexico City this week and there is much video of the vigilantes doling-out justice as they deem it proper.  Such acts of instant justice are not unusual in Mexico.  Sometimes the accused who is beaten or killed was actually innocent.  I remember one case where plain clothed police were pursuing a criminal who shouted the men chasing him were child abductors.  One police officer was beaten to one inch of his life, so to speak, and the true criminal - suspected for child abduction himself- escaped.  We see acts like this worldwide in communities with low education and/or where confidence in the police doesn't exist.  No different than in the "old west" in the USA when people were hanged for assumed criminal activity ... and without a trial.  

• Members
1 hour ago, Mavica said:

...We see acts like this worldwide in communities with low education and/or where confidence in the police doesn't exist...

Well, the police at the vehicle where she was being held certainly didn't intervene while the accused was being brutally murdered.

This reminded me of an American woman who was attacked for stealing a child during a Holy Week parade in a rural Guatemalan town. I looked it up. It was 30 years ago to the day. Time flies. She was a tourist and had not stolen any children. But there were lots of rumours at the time about foreigners stealing children for organ transplants and there she was, taking photos of kids in the square. The boy was only missing for about hour before he was found, but it was too late. I recall police took her to a government building, but then left her there alone as a violent mob attacked. She was beaten until the men believed she was dead. She did live, but one of the more recent stories I saw said she's been living in a nursing home as her injuries were severe and permanent. From the stories I saw, these mob attacks on foreign tourists do happen occasionally in Mexico and Guatemala, but more commonly on locals.