Up2u

Dongtan Beach Update

Yes stop those overweight women from parading in their bikini..they are an eyesore to the beauty of the many beaches in Pattaya, Phuket and many others.  However allow bikini, g-string, c-string tan-kini (yes there is such an outfit) on suitable guys... 

That will be a day ..... where (gay) tourists will be flocking back to Thailand....

Overweight men can do their part covering too , we also tend to forget that our 18th birthday was many years and kilograms ago  

Guest jimnbkk

It was a pretty beach when I left here in March.  Now it's pretty awful.  Hot, no shade except under the umbrellas and it's brutally hot down there (when it's not raining, but it's been raining for days it seems.....)  It's so hard to understand why they do this to what was such an enjoyable place.  TIT

This looks brutal, I agree. 

However if branches fall on sunbeds, tourists are likely to get injured and there would be people complaining here.

Excluding the ones chopped down, the trees are likely to recover if allowed to do so and I hope that's the intention.

This looks brutal, I agree. 

However if branches fall on sunbeds, tourists are likely to get injured and there would be people complaining here.

Excluding the ones chopped down, the trees are likely to recover if allowed to do so and I hope that's the intention.

No one is disputing the safety issue and the need for proper tree maintenance, the palms where people lay on the sand for their massage are often trimmed. I take issue with letting a contractor harvest the fir trees for their wood. Here is another picture of Rit's (section 015) tree "trimming". The sections to the south of the toilet mostly have a different type of tree and those areas may provide some shade.

post-374-0-68942800-1412732611_thumb.jpg

Guest frequentflier

We have been there a few times in the past week and the place is dead,but more important is the state of the water.We have never seen it so dirty.Complete turn off.If you value your health stay out of it.

I agree with frequentflyer the combination of the invasion of giant jellyfish and absolutely filthy water kept me out of the water on August/September trip. The beach and water at Pattaya Beach Road is even worse it looks like the garbage trucks are just dumping their loads into the sea. Lots of floating trash of all discriptions.

It is typical this time of year, not only do you get ships dumping their garbage but you get additional trash from the storm sewers. We have had rain regularly for the last two weeks and more forecast, so expect more pollution in the near term.

Im real sad reading these accounts of the present state of Dongtan Beach. The shade trees slashed down, the water full of jellyfish and trash. The umbrellas in a poor state, the fat lady at the toilet gone. And worst of all no cute boys to be seen just old fat females.

How has it come to this ?.

I remember the heyday of the Gay Beach. Warm inviting water, golden sand and sparkling sea, happy waiters at the concessions. Many vendors selling a galaxy of beautiful and useful objects. Ice cream and donuts. Dodgy DVD's, Seafood. No females or families. Just happy farangs surrounded by flocks of sexy Thai boys in tiny speedos.

Oh if those days could return !.

I remember the heyday of the Gay Beach. Warm inviting water, golden sand and sparkling sea, happy waiters at the concessions. Many vendors selling a galaxy of beautiful and useful objects. Ice cream and donuts. Dodgy DVD's, Seafood. No females or families. Just happy farangs surrounded by flocks of sexy Thai boys in tiny speedos.

Funny - I'm 100% not a beach guy but my memory of Jomtien from 10-12 years ago are:

• Being squashed in like sardines
  • Listening to the guy 10 rows over bellow at his friends and boast abouut the "number" that he had last night
  • Being stank out of it by guys smoking cigars
  • Being stank out of it by farts that can't escape through the umbrella canopy
  • Cringing as a very over weight guy takes off his trousers to reveal a thong or g-string
  • Cringing as the guy next to me gets his once a year toe nail cutting done
  • Cringing as the farang next to me kisses his straight moneyboy and the boy wipes his mouth seconds after
  • Cringing as the farang next to me forces his boy into skimpy outfit that he simply doesn;t want to wear
  • Being forced to listen to the MP3/Walkman of the boy that was bored shitless with his farang du jour
  • Being forced to listen to the hundreds of ringtones as the bored shitless guy above cycles through his ringtones, trying to kill time
  • Annoying Guy selling Ice cream that wont take no for an answer
  • Smelly Squid and prawn sellers that stand there and won't move on
  • Annoying people selling thai herbal whiskey and wooden junk
  • Annoying people selling sarnongs and rubbing them off everybodies feet as they passed
  • Annoying smelly breath moneyboys that plonk down beside you every day and won't move away

The list of annoyances for me is endless!

Thankfully though we all have different tastes in how we like to spend our holidays!

Odd behaviour of other visitors to the beach is just part of the daily entertainment.  I'm expecting to have a good time on the next visit.

As for vendors, well if you want to get rid of them as fast as possible, completely blank them.   Don't even look at them & under no circumstances make eye contact.   If they don't have your attention, they know they're on a loser and move on real fast. 

Dave, I have an impression that  when we were younger even water was more moist than is right now.

Oh yes, reminiscing about the good old days never to return, reminds me of the opening text from "Gone with the Wind",....." There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South. Here in this pretty world, Gallantry took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Lady Fair, of Master and Slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind..... "

Guest anonone

Is there any beach near Pattaya/Jomtien where the water isn´t polluted and you can recommend to swim? How is Naklua beach? Is Koh Larn still good?

I was in Koh Larn several months ago and the water was very good.  Clear enough for snorkeling and no trash found. 

I don't know about Nakula...

Many, definitely including me, complain about the lack of boys at Dongtan beach anymore.  They've disappeared.  As a result, I no longer enjoy the beach.  The myriad of other problems at the beach are not exactly enjoyable either, but I certainly remember taking all the eye candy - and their availability - for granted.  Whatever the reasons why the boys are gone, they're gone.

Because of that I rarely go to the beach anymore.  I don't think I'm alone in that.  I am guessing the beach concessionaires are suffering due to a lack of customers, just like so many other places in Pattaya.  After all, the boys were customers too - whether they paid their own way or farang were buying food and drinks for them and renting chairs for them.  Without the boys, that's another source of income the concessionaires have lost.

For me, the boys were the main attraction of the gay beach area and the reason I used to go nearly every day.  Maybe the beach concessionaires at the traditionally gay areas ought to think about starting to do things to make the boys want to come back.  Maybe the gay beach area scene does not necessarily have to be "Gone With the Wind."  If the concessionaires start doing things to re-attract boys to the beach I'd certainly start going to the beach again.  I'll bet their farang customer numbers would dramatically increase, at least in the gay beach area.

I really have no idea what the concessionaires can do to bring back the boys, but if they will try some ideas of their own, and whatever they do actually works, maybe that could save the day.

Gaybutton - the lack of boys has been the subject of several discussion threads on the board over the last couple of years. Its probably got a lot to do with Gayromeo. Using GR you can summon up a boy without the hassle of getting to Jomtien, buying drinks and flirting.

Perhaps the concession owners could let the boys sit free and have one drink or even a meal free. The presence of attractive boys would undoubtedly boost the numbers of gay customers, particularly if the boys were encouraged to wear brief speedos.

Perhaps the concession owners could let the boys sit free and have one drink or even a meal free. The presence of attractive boys would undoubtedly boost the numbers of gay customers, particularly if the boys were encouraged to wear brief speedos.

This sounds like a great idea, certainly worth trying.

But with recent reports of filthy water and floating debris I'd say it's no surprise beach is not attractive option unless   one comes from great frozen north and is looking for some sun soaking, garbage or not.

Using GR you can summon up a boy without the hassle of getting to Jomtien, buying drinks and flirting.

I think I just may be somewhat familiar with Gay Romeo. 

I happen to enjoy the hassle of getting to Jomtien, buying drinks, and flirting - when at least there is someone to flirt with and buy drinks for.

Guest LoveThailand

It was nice to have them on the beach - and of course they were there for business despite the tan threat :)

Now with GR and such they do not have to make en effort.

Guest manmarkman

Having holiday'd in LOS and Dongtan beach for 20 years now, I also noticed the downwards spiral of DTB (and other venues), but in my view the reason why DTB and for that matter all other gay places in LOS exists AT ALL, is that the GAYS started coming there... and SUPPORTED it.  It seems to me, when I read most posts, that everybody complains about lack of gay-life, and they don't wanna go there anymore, and bla bla bla.. That is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what they should do !!

The boys follow the money !!! So instead of staying at home behind the screen staring at GR etc. GO OUT AND SUPPORT !! Spread the word !! Focus on the positive things, and recommend !!!  THAT will make people go there again..

Or.. you could sit at home and bitch about how good it was once, and slowly leave the entire area to the Russians and the Arabs ??

YOUR CHOICE !!!

Personally I have just arrived in Pattaya, for the 18th. time and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT :air_kiss:

If weather allows it, I will be at the beach tomorrow ( sunday ) with my good buddy, and hoping that madam Bilsalem will work her wonders with my feet and hands  :)  Hope to see you there and have some wonderful memories to take home with me ..

That is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what they should do !!

Your post brought to mind a "chicken or the egg" question regarding the history of the gay area of Dongtan Beach.  Did the boys go there because gay farang went there or did gay farang go there because that's where the boys went?  I don't know.  I also don't know how that area of Dongtan Beach became a gay beach area in the first place.  I never really gave it much thought before.  If anyone knows how it all came to be, I hope you'll post.

I wish I could agree with you about farang going to the beach re-attracting the boys, but I don't see that as the solution.  Plenty of farang always went to the beach and still do.  That never stopped, but nevertheless the boys disappeared.