vinapu

May 2015 in Bangkok and Pattaya -trip report

If one is looking for positive comments about Tawan boys  it will be plenty coming in this report,  rest assured. I spent a lot of time in this bar on this  trip , both alone and with friends and have mostly accolades to sing but it will be an exception.

But over all I was happy there and can't wait to return.

...almost stepped on the giant monitor lizard crossing the walkway. We were both scarred for a few seconds.

You (both) were scared, not scarred.

Mirrors in massage room (Senso) is a good idea. I remember mirrors only from (forgot the name at that time - 2012 (?) - now JJ massage (?) in Silom Soi 1 (? - the short dead end soi). Most short time hotels have mirrors, unfortunately I am shortsighted, so I have to use my glasses to see the mirror image clearly.

Vinapu, did you have a working room safe this time ?

I'm interested in using this hotel, however they have to get certain things right to make my shortlist.

For me, a room safe is mandatory, as are clean rooms, hot water, bed not too firm, a location quiet enough to sleep and wifi.

One of your previous quotes is below.....

Nantra Silom

In Silom soi 8 , close to Tawan. 1200/night, breakfast included, three free computers in the lobby with very fast connection, elevator working, safety deposit box in the room did not work but no problem at end of stay when one lives out of cash advances. Very clean and modern but room very small. A/c blowing directly on the bed. Staff from reception quite often absent so technically everybody can pick up your key from the counter and go to your room if you not there, keep it in mind. Not a bad option, room just bit of claustrophobic.

Changing subject, it is interesting to hear they have scrapped the airport express trains. Considering those stupidly did not run to the BTS connection, if they have increased the frequency of the regular trains, well that must be an improvement.

day 2

Checked exchange rates in vicinity of Silom and as usual best are at place near Om Yim, jewelry store in soi Thaniya and Natty Gems just beside soi Twilight, 33.52 was the best I saw that morning.

I always wonder why anyone is still exchanging cash (or maybe oldfashioned TCs). Why not use ATMs? Saves the need and risk to carry lots of cash and gets better exchange rate than cash which makes up for fees, if any (unless your card issuer charges outrageous fees, which might be possible especially in the US). So much more convenient.

But speaking of currency exchange: for non-standard currencies, i.e. other Asian currencies BY FAR the best rates are at P&P Jewelery & Money Exchange at Siam Paragon (1st Floor, see www.ppparagon.com with daily updated rates). A while ago I had a somewhat sizeable amount in PHP (Philippine Peso) left over from a trip, and the regular exchange booths everywhere were paying just 50 or 55 Baht for 100 Pesos, when the interbank rate was more like 0.75, what a rip-off. At P&P I got 71, very fair. 

For bigger amounts they may even be worthwhile the trip to Siam Paragon for big currencies like USD. Currently they show a buying rate of 33.70 for $100 bills, better than the 33.37 quoted on the Bangkok Bank website. 

Anyway, just a tip since vinapu mentioned exchanging cash. 

...almost stepped on the giant monitor lizard crossing the walkway. We were both scarred for a few seconds.

You (both) were scared, not scarred.

I don't know about lizard but I was scarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred !  / you are right of course about spelling /

Vinapu, did you have a working room safe this time ?

I'm interested in using this hotel, however they have to get certain things right to make my shortlist.

For me, a room safe is mandatory, as are clean rooms, hot water, bed not too firm, a location quiet enough to sleep and wifi.

Changing subject, it is interesting to hear they have scrapped the airport express trains. Considering those stupidly did not run to the BTS connection, if they have increased the frequency of the regular trains, well that must be an improvement.

Yes, safe worked in both rooms at Nantra / you will learn shortly that I returned after few days to a bigger room /, rooms were clean, hot water flowing, I don't know about wi-fi but must be working as they distribute password on reception and don't racall anything bad about the beds.

Scarping express trains was smart decision as few people were using them at 3 times cost to save 15 minutes at most ion comparizon to City Link. Express train was running to BTS connection at Phaya Thai though

I always wonder why anyone is still exchanging cash (or maybe oldfashioned TCs). Why not use ATMs?

I don't know about other people but I'm exchanging cash because it works cheaper for me. Every cash withdrawal is 180 baht charged by Thai bank  and 5$ charged by my bank home., that 11$ total. For security I have daily limit set at 500$ so most I can take is 15000 baht at once. 

And no, rates are not better when using ATM in my case but it may be different depending on country and / or bank.

Of course at end of every trip I bust budget and last few day live of cash withdrawals but then I don't care about rates that much for obvious reason

I don't know about other people but I'm exchanging cash because it works cheaper for me. Every cash withdrawal is 180 baht charged by Thai bank  and 5$ charged by my bank home., that 11$ total. For security I have daily limit set at 500$ so most I can take is 15000 baht at once. 

And no, rates are not better when using ATM in my case but it may be different depending on country and / or bank.

Of course at end of every trip I bust budget and last few day live of cash withdrawals but then I don't care about rates that much for obvious reason

Interesting. I'd find it really inconvenient to carry cash. Also the need to plan ahead how much to take! But I see your point about the cost. Guess I'd be willing to bear that small additional cost in favor of the added convenience. But it is true, in my country there are cards available where you pay ZERO withrawal fees, worldwide (except, of course, those charged by third parties such as the local bank operating the ATM, i.e. the 180 baht you mention).

I take a lot of cash on my trips. I just find it easier. Most of my trips are a month, so usually end up using an ATM once or twice near end of trip. I find that I budget my money better if I have cash. But when I start taking 10k baht out of an ATM it starts spending faster and easy to go back and get more. I get away from my budget.

I maintain a Thai bank account that includes a Thai ATM card.  I replenish the account by wire before I arrive and have the currency translated to Thai baht in Thailand. No ATM fees, convenient ATM withdrawls, and excellent rate by having Thai bank to the conversion into a Thai account.

Thanks for the reports vinapu, can't wait for my next trip which will be Sept / Oct for a couple of weeks, I will be flying in on a different route than I normally do as I have moved away from my last town and now live in the city so I get into Bangkok at a reasonable hour and can hit the massages straight away (plan is to book two tops for two hours of 4 hands fun at Bonny first up).

For a good money changer I use the guy that's almost straight across Surawong from Soi Twilight (small booth in front of a dress shop / tailors) as he always has a good rate and have never been ripped off by him. 

Mirrors, I love having mirrors in the massage rooms but some are a little too high and I can't see too much, I would rather have them lower so that I can see everything and perv on the boy whilst he is doing the massage, now if only Bonny Massage would install them.

I find that I budget my money better if I have cash.

this is exactly what I feel about advantage of using cash, also when travel very very rarely I use credit card other than occasional cash advance if need arises.

If I go to the bar with 1000 baht there's guarantee I will not spend more even if hot under the collar. 

Guest abang1961

Budgeting for a trip usually demands a lot of discipline.

I have this trick ..

I separate my foreign currency from my own currency in two zip-lock bags.

Even in the foreign currency bag, I subdivided the limit of my daily expenses in smaller plastic bags...

Since I am quite thrifty and don't spend a single cent with boys but I do buy a drink when I visit the bars, I always end up with sufficient money to buy the things I want at the end of the trip.. things like that extra pair of leather scandals..something I like but not need....ha ha, at least I did boost the Thai economy and speeds up its recovery..

Vinapu..a breakfast place to recommend ..this 150Bbreakfast place, ground floor of a small hotel。。。near KISS...let your hunky dujour enjoy a good meal (from 0700 to 1300)....I must have taken 5 rounds of dessert the last time I was there!

I maintain pretty good budgetary discipline throughout the year thus acquiring good habits and funds letting me to bit a bit prolific on my trips to Thailand and elsewhere.

I LOS spent a lot of money on boys , massages and bars but shop very little, I like travelling light and after so many trips I don't need any souvenirs from LOS, beklieve me or not but only tangible assets I  brought home from last trip was bar of aromatic soap from Silom market  and aftershave cream  I always buy at the airport for 420 and small bottle of whisky also bought at the airport.

last 42 baht from  my pocket I gave to cleaning lady in the boarding area.

Lesson I learned from my trips is that too much of fiscal discipline may take a bit of joy from vacation so if I have urge to spent I do if I have cash in my pocket. Never carry plastic with me on streets to avoid flash trip to ATM, this is my reason I like using cash.

Where is that KISS place you mention Abang? name sounds familiar but mentally can't localize.

You guessed rightly , always  I treat my bed warmers with breakfast unless they opt out by leaving early.

Guest abang1961

Look out Apex Hotel, that is the value for money place... dirt cheap for buffet..

It is diagonally opposite from Festival Pattaya.... not one of the most striking hotels but Cheap is good to me.

Kiss is in the same row, a few doors down...towards Central Festival Pattaya.

I maintain pretty good budgetary discipline throughout the year thus acquiring good habits and funds letting me to bit a bit prolific on my trips to Thailand and elsewhere.

I also keep good discipline during the year & save very aggressively towards my retirement fund.

So I can just enjoy myself on holidays.

For my holiday budget, I look at the previous year's spend (in baht) and make sure I put aside 25% more than that for the budget. Almost all of the extra 25% does not actually get touched, but it still means I don't have to spend the holiday worrying about budget.

As for left over baht, well it all comes home with me, gets put in a currency bag and is ready for the next trip. That's the best way when annual inflation is less than the exchange rate spread.

This also means there are coins available for small purchases upon arrival like airport rail tickets.

Guest abang1961

Isnt it good to see that most of us here are discerning travellers in Bangkok.

We are no longer that the innocent first timer who splurge on everything and throw money and caution to the wind.

We may be thrifty but not misers.

We do spend when necessary and so, the boys in Thailand, embrace us and lay your RED CARPET from the airport to Silom and beyond.  Continue your good work in pampering us and we will faithfully repeat our visits.  If not, your neighbours in other Indo-China countries are going to benefit from your poor attitude.... which is quite rampant from my observations.  

Guest anonone

Vinapu.

Great trip report.  I really like that you are writing it as if you are still there. I often forget you are already home.  I can't belevie you remember all those details.  By the time I get home, all of the trip seems like a blur.  Of course, that could be the whiskey effect.  LOL

Glad you are still liking Magnolia.  I haven't visited during my last couple of trips...just didn't fit it into the schedule. 

I don't get to Boyztown much anymore.  In fact, when I was last in Thailand in April, I didn't go to BT at all.  Were there many boys at Kawaii?  The couple of times I visited in the past, I seem to recall a pretty limited staff.  Usually just hit Vasa...maybe Dream Boys...and occasionally see the show at X-Boys (which is what I assume you meant by Xsize). 

Interested to see how your BF experience goes, so looking forward to future installments.